K2 Obsethed vs 4frnt VCT Turbo

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

K2 Obsethed vs 4frnt VCT Turbo

Postby xebeche72 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:22 pm

Dear ski gurus,

What's is your opinion on the subject? It looks like skis are pretty similar. I have tried 4frnt vct turbo and liked them very much.They are great skis in powder and pretty decent skis in crud and groomers. It looks like they a bit stiffer than Obsethed, but I can overlook this quality since I already have two pairs which ride quite good at groomers and in crud. One thing that worries me a little bit is that I am 5'9"/160/level 7-8 and while vct turbo sizes are 168/175/182/189mm K2 Obsethed sizes are 169/179/189. Isn't 179 a little bit long for me? I am not sure how rocker affects size for Obsethed.

Anyone who tried both skis?

Thank you very much for your help.

Alex

P.S. Most of the time I ski all terrain/snow conditions in California, Tahoe area.
xebeche72

Re: K2 Obsethed vs 4frnt VCT Turbo

Postby jbotti » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:39 pm

This kind of a funny post for here. It's more of a TGR post/question. My guess is that very few on this forum have skied either ski. I can't really help you very much. I read up on the Obstehed last year and it looked like one of several skis past season that were trying to merge the best of two worls (traditional canbered skis and rocker). Last years obsethed has only mild rocker, and traditional camber under foot and no tail rocker. I heard it skied pretty well in a variety of conditions and was much more like a traditional ski than other more rockered skis. I flexed them a few different times in stores and it is a very soft ski.

I really know abosluetly zero about the VCT Turbo excpet for the dimensions. It appears that this ski has tip and tail rocker becuse they give the running length and it is much shorter than the ski length. This means a good amount of rocker. Should do great in soft snow and be more challenged on hard snow.

I have owned several rockered and reverse camber and reverse sidecut skis. I like traditional skis better. Rocker and reverse camber is slightly more helpful in soft snow or fresh pow, but to me it is a lot worse everywhere else. I hate the flapping tips in crud and chop and I hate how soft many of the skis are. But this is just my opinion and many will disgree with this.

As for length, K2 measures their skis from contact point to contact point (unlike every other ski company that measures from tip to tail), so a 179 in a K2 with some tip rocker will most likely actually measure more like 185cm (from tip to tail). On a tip and tail rockered ski, they ski much shorter (running length from contact point to contact point is much shorter than actual ski length) so you should ski a longer length. I would think that the 169 Obsethed might be long enough as it is probably close to 175cm long. It's a soft and forgiving ski, so the 179 will probably work as well.

Hope that helps some.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Re: K2 Obsethed vs 4frnt VCT Turbo

Postby Max_501 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:06 pm

jbotti wrote:I like traditional skis better.

I second this.
Max_501

Return to Gear