Tecnica XT17 - Rotary Boot? Can't find an answer!

PMTS Forum

Tecnica XT17 - Rotary Boot? Can't find an answer!

Postby carvemeister » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:36 pm

Hi, it looks like this is the place to find out all kinds of secret gear info - so maybe somebody can answer this for me:

Is the XT 17 a Rotary or Lateral design boot? I have to assume it's a rotary boot, from what I can find so far, but haven't gotten a good answer yet.

I assume the XT24 would also be the same?

I was thinking of picking up the XT17's cheap for some occasional racing because I've used the Icon Carbons for 3 years, and they fit well, but I know what HH says about rotary boots, so I want to do things right.

Thanks for the help!
Check out my Red Mtn, B.C. website: http://www.skiswami.com/
carvemeister

Talked with HH about your post

Postby John Mason » Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:13 pm

We had carver camp today and he had muliple boot alignments scheduled for this afternoon. I mentioned your post and he suggested to check out his earlier post where he lists the boots he recommends. He doesn't keep track off all the boots he doesn't recommend.

I really like your site btw. Nice photography!
John Mason

Re: Talked with HH about your post

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:46 pm

John Mason wrote:...check out his earlier post where he lists the boots he recommends...
I really like your site btw. Nice photography!

Thanks John!

I read the post that I believe you're referring to here: http://www.realskiers.com/pmtsforum/viewtopic.php?t=240

All I can gather is that in general, Head, Dalbello, and Salomon are usually lateral boots. And I know that Tecnica's retail models are rotary boots.

I was hoping that the Tecnica "plug boots" like the XT17 might be different, since I have been in a Tecnica Icon carbon for the past few years, and it fits me very well. So I'd like to find out where the XT17 fits in, if anybody happens to know.

Thanks.

Postby carvemeister » Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:48 pm

OOOPS! That was me (above)
Forgot to log in first! :oops:
carvemeister

Postby piggyslayer » Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:13 pm

I think one of the big problems with Tecnica boots in general was how the lower shell and the cuff (upper shell) are connected. The inside rivet was typically lower than the outside one, and in lateral boot you need the opposite to be true.
You can check that by examining the boot. (I think John post has explained that earlier, and the placement of rivets and its relation to rotary is explained in Harald's 1st book).

Harald?s first book has chapter with excellent info on some of the rotary characteristics, for example, it is good if the lower shell extends high, especially on the inside. It should go as high or almost as high as the top of cuff.
Another words, there are many other factors and even if Technica has fixed the rivet position issue the boot may be still rotary.

Let us know what you think about the boot if you decide to buy it.
If I were you I would go for one of the boots tested by Harald.

Good luck
Robert
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

Postby carvemeister » Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:04 pm

Thanks Piggyslayer.

I understand what you're saying, and that helps. Unfortunately, the thing is - I really don't NEED new boots right now - at least not that badly - but I did want to pick up a pair of "plug boots" for a performance improvement because I plan to do a race camp this winter, and get back into some recreational racing.

Because it's something I don't really need to have, I figured I'd only dive into
a second pair of boots if I could get them el-cheapo. That means via the internet, because there is not a decent ski shop within 200 miles of where I live - Eastern Long Island, NY. So, I can't even look at a pair.

But I'm willing to take a slight chance upgrading from my current Tecnicas - to the XT17 - if I can get them for ~$200. I'm still undecided because I would like to get a lateral boot, and knowing if the XT 17 qualified, would make up my mind.

Sorry for the ramble, but it isn't easy being a die hard gear junkie and living where I do. Nobody on Long Island has any idea what the heck is wrong with me! :shock:
carvemeister

Postby piggyslayer » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:18 am

Living in NJ is not any easier :wink: .
If you serious about racing and PMTS you need lateral boot, I would go for one on Harald?s list.

Buying a boot is only a part of the task, fitting the boot is a process you may benefit from as well. I know I did.
Buying discount boot from a store and have a boot expert fix it up will not yield the same results as buying the boots from the boot expert.

My wife is considering new boots, we will be getting them from Harald and Diana (the boots we use today we got from them as well).
Buying and fitting a boot is NOT something I would allow any ski shop technician. In fact the only other person allowed to work on our boots are: Harald, Diana and myself, and out of these people I trust only the first two :) .

If a trip to Colorado is not in your plans, there is a PMTS certified boot alignment shop in NH, you can find link to it in harbskisystems.com web site. If you have hard time finding it post on this forum and I will try to find it for you.

Also, if you want to get most benefit for a buck, you may want to spend your money on things like:
- better footbeds (they can make all the difference and they can be transferred when you get a new boot)
- custom liner-inner boot (it can make your boot more lateral!, it can make it stiffer!)

Also if you really know what you NEED, there is the e-bay which sometimes features boots as well!

Do you know what is the major difference between your current boot and the new Tecnica model (stiffness, volume, etc) ?

Good luck.
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

Postby carvemeister » Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:21 pm

Ok, I think I'm coming over the fence.

I was going to take a stab at a pair of new XT17's on eBay for $150.
But I don't want to end up putting useless hours of bootfitting work into a plug boot, if it's not going to put me into the proper alignment because the geometry is bad.

I don't know if that's the XT17 or not, but I've decided to skip the boat on this one for now, until I at least get to look at a couple of pairs that Harald recommends.

That means I'll have to wait a few months and go to December race camp in my old Icons. :cry:

It's a long haul to New Hampshire right now, but the new alignment center sounds pretty good. Is it really worth the trip, or can somebody recommend a good boot fitter, who carries Head boots, etc, near Ludlow, Vt, where I'll be most of the time?

What advantages will I get over a good boot fitter in Vt., if I go to the alignment center? And what are the qualifications of the techs at the NH center?

For now, I'm going to take my spare boot money over to the local Sports Authority, where they were selling a pair of new Machete FB's for ~ $100! :D

In the meantime, I'll try to nail down my best boot fitting options.
carvemeister

Postby carvemeister » Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:44 pm

Boy, am I a big blowhard or what!

Disregard the above post, please. I changed my mind during a sudden last second panic impulse, as I watched the auction on the XT 17's that I'd had in mind, wind down.

I swear I was going to just watch to see how much they ended up going for, but with 30 seconds left, and still at ~ $160, I couldn't stand to let it go by.

So I punched in $183 with 4 seconds left, and now they're mine for $165.00!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 7107694267

Ooops! So I'll give them a try, and if they don't work out, I'll revert to the above plan.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :lol:
Thanks for the input!
carvemeister

Postby piggyslayer » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:25 am

I hope your new boots will work well for you.

Robert
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

Postby carvemeister » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:25 am

Thanks! :D
carvemeister

Postby agent.5 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:52 pm

Just wondering if anyone has an update on whether x17 is a lateral boot or not?
agent.5

X17

Postby Joseph » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:05 pm

I'm not sure of the model numbers and letters and what they mean, but if the boot to which you are referring is the solid transparent orange that is this year's Technica plug boot, it is a rotary boot. We've worked with a number of them on many racers at the alignment center. The forward lean in that boot is so aggressive that only racers with a looong femur can possibly ski them out of the box in any kind of decent stance. We at the alignment center have found that if one were to take the velcro spoiler from the back of the boot and put it in front of the tongue of the liner and under the top two buckles of the shell, it helps to improve the stance of most skiers in that boot. Technica's plug boot last year wasn't too bad from what I hear, I've never skied in it. Unfortuntely though it seems as though it was a lucky accident that was not repeated.
Joseph

Postby agent.5 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:17 pm

Joseph,

thanks for your reply. I made a typo. It should say XT17, a plug boot that has been discontinued. Some say it is the predecessor to the Race Pro of current year.
agent.5

Postby iriponsnow » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:06 pm

I can see I'm not going to last long on this forum, so here is my 2 cents on the matter: The XT was a great boot... I would call it a softer / calmer plug.... I cut the heck out of mine & it is one of my favorites for all-mtn skiing. I have since moved on to a better boot( Dobie WC 150 ) for racing and ice carving.... that's all I use the boot for. I have production model tecnicas for all mtn skiing (icon & diablo). IMHO ya need to jump OFF the Plug bandwagon. Even if ya want to call it a Lateral boot vs the plug...

The're cold, very stiff, beat the tar out of your feet & are generally miserable to be in. & most folks just don't have the need for that much horse power, are at the level to make use of such a boot or are willing to put the time in with a quality boot fitter to make em work.

Now I have had great luck w/ PJ @ racestocksports.com: he built the best boot I've ever been in Dobie, heat, foot bed, grinds, softening, Lifters!!!

Yet I went back to have him build me an all day, all mtn boot too!

So I started the fire..... :D
iriponsnow

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System