Brushed Carve...

PMTS Forum

Brushed Carve...

Postby Marek » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:35 pm

Tell me something about Brushed Carve. I am a bit confused, " carved " turn can not be " brushed " :? am I correct ? That looks very nice BTW. What about executing this on our supershaped skis ? My slalom skis are not designed to " brush " by their tails.
Marek
Marek

Re: Brushed Carve...

Postby BigE » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:21 pm

A brushed carve uses the same movements as a carved turn, except that the edges are not engaged -- the edge angles are reduced.
BigE

Postby Marek » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:13 pm

BigE wrote:A brushed carve uses the same movements as a carved turn, except that the edges are not engaged -- the edge angles are reduced.

That is obvious. Why HH introduced that turn ? For less skiled and not so strong skiers ? Thought that PMTS is all about pure carving.
Marek
Marek

Postby BigE » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:18 pm

Is it wise to carve everywhere?
BigE

Postby Marek » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:48 pm

BigE wrote:Is it wise to carve everywhere?

NO.
I ordered TT skis ( Rotor 72 )...universal tool, for soft edge skiing too 8) In near future we will have to rediscover Classic Christy as well.
Marek
Marek

Postby Max_501 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:17 pm

This post has some good info relating to brushed carves:

http://www.pmts.org/pmtsforum/viewtopic ... 970#p11080
Max_501

Postby Marek » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:34 pm

Thanks Max, this is what I needed.
BTW, this is question for Harald : why there is nothing about brushing in ESSENTIALS ?
Marek
Marek

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:59 pm

Marek wrote:Thanks Max, this is what I needed.
BTW, this is question for Harald : why there is nothing about brushing in ESSENTIALS ?

Because everything in Essentials is in a brushed or edge-locked carve. Essentials identifies the movements that go into all high level skiing of any [good] type. Essentials isn't a "turn".
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:41 am

For less skiled and not so strong skiers ?

This is the most difficult turn of all, better re-look at what it means!
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:20 am

Why is there nothing about brushed in Essentials?

It is possible that I was not aware that skiers could not see the difference between a two footed type release movement and a locked carve.
Essentials is about movement.
h.harb

Postby Marek » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:02 am

h.harb wrote:Why is there nothing about brushed in Essentials?

It is possible that I was not aware that skiers could not see the difference between a two footed type release movement and a locked carve.
Essentials is about movement.

Harald,
well, I own " Essentials & DVD's " ( both things are great stuff ) but am feeling I missed something important. So, which of your previous books should I order and read as completion ? If it is still available.
Marek
Marek

Postby Max_501 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:27 am

Marek wrote:well, I own " Essentials & DVD's " ( both things are great stuff ) but am feeling I missed something important. So, which of your previous books should I order and read as completion ? If it is still available.

Anyone Can Be An Expert Skier 2: Powder, Bumps, and Carving (there is a book and a DVD)
Max_501

Postby HeluvaSkier » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:51 am

Max_501 wrote:
Marek wrote:well, I own " Essentials & DVD's " ( both things are great stuff ) but am feeling I missed something important. So, which of your previous books should I order and read as completion ? If it is still available.

Anyone Can Be An Expert Skier 2: Powder, Bumps, and Carving (there is a book and a DVD)

Yep. Enough information in there to keep a skier busy for a lifetime.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:14 am

The order of PMTS starts with the "Anyone can be an Expert 1", then 2 the latest is Essentials and the Essentials DVD series. If I had to pack all the information, from every book, video and DVD I've written or produced, into my latest book or DVD, you wouldn't be able to carry it around. I didn't include the Instructor manual, Ski Flex or the instructor, Direct Parallel DVD.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:46 pm

Controlling the arc and shape in a brushed carve, requires a high degree of tipping control, especially after foot tipping range is used up and the hip begins to fall more inside. Lateral balance, with lateral ankle pressure control is the key. The side of the ankle against the side of the boot is the movement that gives tipping the fine tuning needed for this event. In PMTS we talk often about ankle side loading to the boot. This enhances the tipping control and holds the ski on edge as needed when flexing the legs. Not all flexing is a used to release.

Flexing can be used to take slight pressure off the skis, so that tipping can be increased near the bottom of the radius. As we all know in bump skiing we often need to flex the legs without releasing an edge. If the legs are bending or flexing the only way to keep the edges engaged (hold edge angles) is to keep the ankles and feet tipped and engaged against the side of the boot.

It is for this reason we (at Harb Ski Systems) are so involved in developing footbeds that allow ankle articulation. Rigid footbeds lock the foot and ankle, taking away an important in boot function of foot and ankle. This is also the reason I keep telling skiers that tipping ability and proficiency comes before anything else. tipping with the feet and ankle gives a skier better control of balance and all different types of tipping ski behaviors needed, whether it be for carving, bushed carving or two footed releases.

Since TTS doesn't teach tipping at all, (they get edging from steering) they surely don't develop an approach using lateral foot, ankle articulation. These contributions to skiing are not understood or developed in TTS. Although the Austrian Ski School is a TTS, they do speak to ankle and foot use in skiing.

I call all this skiing, without foot and ankle, "boot top" skiing. The skier controls the edges with hip and leg steering movements. So the top of the boots are pressed against the side of the shin, when leg steering is supposed to tip the ski from that movement. In this approach there is little or no control of the skis on edge without driving the knee and dumping the hips. This is hugely limiting, keeping the skier either skidding or in Park and Ride locked carves. These are the things PMTS is always criticized for by the traditionalists; being limited, one dimensional and being an edge only skiing method. Funny coming from the crew that has limited understanding of tipping, ankle use and feet in ski boots, function.

I think we have a pretty good idea of what is limiting in skiing and it's not PMTS.
h.harb

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System