MA on weighted release

Postby carver_hk » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:45 am

Thanks in advance for any help. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NTyP_c3VR0
I love line graphics :)
carver_hk

Re: MA on weighted release

Postby MonsterMan » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:16 pm

Don't throw away the good work by practicing upper body rotation like that. Try to do only PMTS movements.

Obviously the centre of mass moves more to the inside with a weighted release, that is a reason for doing it as an excercise, (somewhere in ACBAES II I think), but you can still use a bit of counter balance and counter acting et al.

Maybe try to ski slower and in control and be patient and wait for the skis to turn you.
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby carver_hk » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:53 pm

MonsterMan wrote:Don't throw away the good work by practicing upper body rotation like that.
Yes, I m seeing some upper body effect on the lower body. I will try to get rid of it next time. Also what I m seeing is seriously lacking CA & CB. Actually I tried to follow the instruction from book2. One thing I m not very sure is whether I should place down the stance leg at the very last moment just before release and use the stance leg to release? :D
carver_hk

Postby MonsterMan » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:16 pm

re-read the bit about pullback of the lifted foot, that may help to get the front of the ski to bite. If you get centered, you may get the balance you need to ski slowly/.
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby carver_hk » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:28 pm

MonsterMan wrote:re-read the bit about pullback of the lifted foot, that may help to get the front of the ski to bite. If you get centered, you may get the balance you need to ski slowly/.
I notice that the outside ski tip is pointing up before place down. Meaning a bit aft. I though I was fore as the same ski tip was pointing right down a little bit earlier. Thank you for finding out for me. :D
carver_hk

Postby Max_501 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:37 am

In the video you are demonstrating one footed skiing on the inside ski with a very quick weighted release move. In regular skiing a weighted release is used at the end of a turn where the outside ski is loaded and then you release the turn keeping the outside ski weighted which starts the new turn with weight on that ski which happens to be the new inside ski. The next step is to set the new outside ski down on the snow and transfer the weight to that outside ski allowing it to load up like you would in a typical PMTS turn. As far as timing, set it down shortly after the release and before its pointed down the fall line.
Max_501

Postby carver_hk » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:54 am

Thanks Max for the further instruction. Here is a small update. What I attempted to do is place down the stance ski earlier, making everything as normal as possible other then the lifting. It's much more difficult than I though. And I got some guite dramatic falling before I get more stable. Thanks in advance for any help. I would expect I need lot more time to perfect this drill. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH4Q81UgVr8
carver_hk

Postby GregM » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:52 pm

You are doing it better this time -- not so much upper body inclination. To me the upper body inclination indicates the lack of or insufficient flex to release.

As Max_501 mentioned you are doing a one footed (inside foot) skiing and I still see this happening. Consider what would happen if you put your un-weighted foot on the snow not by lowering it down but by actively flexing (sitting down on the) stance foot. If you flex to release actively and continue shortening your stance foot after the transition your lifted outside foot in the new turn will get to the snow quite rapidly and then you can transfer balance to it. So flex more to release and do not stop flexing / shortening this leg after transition.
GregM

Postby carver_hk » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:31 pm

GregM wrote:To me the upper body inclination indicates the lack of or insufficient flex to release.
Thanks! got your advise. I ll try to fix that as you say. This particular exercise is very difficult to me as when I lose pressure I simply fall. So there is some fear to fight against with. Perhaps I should not lift the old-inside ski too high. :D
carver_hk

Postby carver_hk » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:43 am

It seems everything is getting easier. Just havn't got the chance to practice normally. There are far too many people on the slope, to the extend of blocking the way down. In my practice what I found when getting rid of inclination is getting some backseat. I did try to pull back my leg. Probably not hard enough. I hope I m on the right track. Thanks in advance for any advise. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goJbsf02ows
carver_hk

Postby carver_hk » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:21 am

a small update with focus on eliminating inclination and flex, or pull back inside leg instead of place down outside skis. Thanks in advance for any help. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1eBbEFhQSk
carver_hk

Postby Max_501 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:34 am

Look at the weighted release section in the Expert Skier 2 dvd. Compare Harald's movements to your latest video.
Max_501

Postby carver_hk » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:05 pm

Thanks for the hint. I m seeing there are two obvious difference:

In Harald's book:
1. There are no obvious lifting of the old-inside skis/new stance skis
2. Harald was using a very narrow stance.
carver_hk

Postby Max_501 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:14 pm

Do you have the DVD? If so, please look at that. The lifting isn't a problem and Harald demonstrates a lift in the video. Keep looking to see if you can spot any other differences.
Max_501

Postby carver_hk » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:41 pm

Max_501 wrote:Do you have the DVD?
Harald said something like this in his DVD: you have the book you must have the DVD. :D

ok. another big difference is I didn't plant my pole?

edit: i can see my inside butt drops after each neutral. I think it means I don't have enough CB to raise my inside hip. I did pull back my new inside leg, it was not effective because I don't have enough CB and therefore block the pull back? :D
carver_hk

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System