Harald could you advise about boots?

PMTS Forum

Harald could you advise about boots?

Postby Mr. T » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:03 am

Hello Harald,
I put this here as hopefully it may benefit others as well. I am going to be out for new boots in a month or so. I am planning to visit you, but before I do that, I need to find out about the boot to buy as I don't think you have every possible boot available and if those you have are not going to fit me then I need to buy one pair before I visit you.

I have been on Salomon X-Wave 10.0 for the last 3 years.

I like Head and I would like the new RS models however, although I am not the Bigfoot, I do have relatively big feet to fit. So I wonder if the RS models are going to suit me first of all. Could you tell us what kind of feet they are not for? Are they super-stiff?

How about the S-line from Head?

Are there other brands/model you think are particularly good this year?

Thank you. Hopefully I will see you soon in Colorado.
Mr. T

Boots

Postby Harald » Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:38 pm

We carry the Head line with the new insert that can change the S or RS line (same boot) to a wider fit. We also carry the Dalbello Comp which has covered for many X-wave skiers. I hope this helps

HH
Harald

Postby wolverineNorb » Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:11 am

Harald : I am in the market for new boots for the first time in 10 seasons. I am patronizing an ABB ski shop as recommended on the web site, Nor-Ski, in San Ramon, CA. I have tried on a 2004 Tecninca Ikon AluCon and with the exception of two hot spots the boots fit extremely well. The boot fitter says he can alter the shell to expand that section of the boot that pinches which are along the side of my foot just below the small toe on each foot. Because it is last year's model they are offering to sell the boot to me for 40% off which is a considerable savings. But, as I have never had boot shells altered before I want to know if this will weaken the structural integrity of the boot causing degradation of the performance of the boot. What is your opinion? Thanks.
wolverineNorb

Tecnicas

Postby Joe » Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:16 pm

I'm not Harald but would like to warn you of the rotary nature of those boots.
I bought a pair of these two seasons ago and was told by a PMTS pro that he could see in my skiing the rotary input from the boot's design. Peter Keelty mentioned that Tecnica was working on correcting this problem but did not know how soon. Just be careful. Hopefully the techs at the shop know the difference between lateral and rotary boot design. If not.......
Joe

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:24 pm

Joe : Thanks for the information. I will ask them when I go back. I am not sure that this rotary vs. lateral boot concept is one that is easily grasped so I wonder how you can tell in newer boot designs if a manufacturer has "cured" the problem.

rotary and lateral

Postby John Mason » Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:39 pm

Most boot shops are not aware of this. If you bend a boot foward, because of the offset of the hinge points it will make the heels kick outward.

Soloman is normally considered ok as are head and dalbello. HH does not carry Soloman I don't believe but carries head and dalbello.

lang and technica I have heard are rotary (and I'm sure my particullar lange was) I don't know if this is true in every boot they make or just a majority of models.

That was my understanding on it. HH covers this in detail in his books and how to check a boot yourself. He does not name the names in the books.

There was a time where the rotary movement of the boot design was supposed to help turn the skis. Of course, this is very disruptive in changing terrain. I noticed a big change in stability in bumpy terrain when I went away from Langes. Before, as I would absorb a bump in the langes they would turn in toward each other slightly. The Dalbello's stay neutral. (my langes were donated for disection in the interest of boot science for one of HH's bootfitting classes - may they rest in peace)

Good Luck!
John Mason

Re: rotary and lateral

Postby BigE » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:14 am

John Mason wrote:lang and technica I have heard are rotary (and I'm sure my particullar lange was) I don't know if this is true in every boot they make or just a majority of models.

Which model Lange did you have dissected? I was of the impression that the comp line is not rotary, while some lower models were ( L-10 rings a bell)

Cheers!
BigE

Boots that like to ski

Postby Harald » Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:32 pm

I?m not ignoring this post, I just haven?t had time to get all the facts on models and brands, I?ll be back with some info for you in the next day or so. Thanks,

HH
Harald

Postby piggyslayer » Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:54 pm

Just a curiosity question, I am NOT changing my boots.
Harald, what is your take on new salomon spaceframe techology, soft on the LTE and hard on the BTE side (LTE side with some micro holes).

Thanks,
Robert
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

Postby Mr. T » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:25 am

Harald, when you say Dalbello Comp, do you mean the kind of boots that Rich was using last season (Dalbello Avanti V Comp)? Those were cool, one of the best color I have ever seen Image

I cannot find any Comp among Dalbello list of products for 2004-5.
Mr. T

Postby Harald » Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:19 pm

OK, here are some short answers to questions in the boot section. The Salomon boot holes are gimmicks. The race boots are so stiff that even indoors; they will not flex the zones near the holes.

The Dalbello boot I refer to as the Comp, is the black V11 or last years V-comp, as it is the closest thing they make to a race boot. It gets very high praise from the boot testers. Unfortunately that doesn?t mean much. The boot is stiff and has an upright stance. Rich skis that boot. I have skied it and like it. Unfortunately it fits only a rather wide foot, D-E.

The new Head line with the X-frame is great and it fits C-D feet. I have even fit some B width feet and these skiers felt enough support and hold around the instep. The Head line has really hit a home run with the stance geometry. It is a strong lateral boot with an upright stance that transfers tipping effort to strong edging power.

The Lange race boot ?plug boot ?is not the same product as the commercial ski shop available race boot. We observe many of the same characteristics in skiers who ski this boot. Because of its rotary characteristics, many skiers are over flexed and knock-kneed. Often skiers demonstrate over flexed positions throughout the turn, which contributes to knee drive and over rotation. In these situations the ankle is locked into a forward position and therefore doesn?t allow the skier range of motion to move appropriately with fore/aft pressuring needs in skiing.
Harald

Postby wolverineNorb » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:03 am

Harald : could you speak to my concern, posted Oct 9, 2004 re the 2004 Tecnica AluComp? Also, is this a rotary boot?
wolverineNorb

Postby BigE » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:09 am

Rats! Bad news for me. I purchased a pair in the summer. Fortunately, they were inexpensive.

And thank you! I was thinking about a Lange jr for my 8 y.o. racer. But that may not happen now. That being said, she is under 100 lbs and has very narrow long feet -- Ladies size 7 already. Finding a boot that fits could be very difficult; finding a lateral boot that fits very narrow could be impossible.

Any info perhaps about the Rossi B2? Is that perchance of lateral design too?
BigE

Postby Harald » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:29 am

I?m out for the entire weekend, Harb Caver Camp. If you have a chance to drop in come on by, info below. Short answer on boots: Look at the Head junior race boot, although we like the Rossi plug boot, I?m not sure about the junior race boot. Nordica junior Doberman is narrow and it?s a good boot. Sorry, Tecnica missed the geometry on the new models again. Far too much forward lean, ramp angle and they are too soft for a boot with that much forward lean. They don?t even hold you up and they compromise your stance and power to the edge. When will they get it right, don?t hold your breath they don?t listen and they don?t seem to care. They have market share and that rules, even if your product doesn?t do the job well. Remember how long the Salomon rear entry boot lasted and they were terrible. It?s about marketing and perception in some worlds, not performance.

Location for Carving sessions:
Behind ?RockStand?, in corporate/light industrial parking lot
Address:
400 Corporate Circle, Unit B
Golden, CO 80401

You can use Mapquest (http://www.mapquest.com) to see where we'll be meeting.

Our cell phone numbers?
Harald: 303-246-7381
Diana: 303-888-8007
Call if you are having trouble finding us

Directions:
Coming from the west?
Take I-70 east to the Morrison exit
Take State Hwy 40 east, until it crosses under highway C-470
1st right after overpass is Violet keep going on Hwy 40
2nd right after overpass is Corporate Cir. - turn right here.
If you get to the PetSmart/Home Depot Mall, you?ve gone too far

Coming from the east (I-70)?
Take I-70 west to the Colfax exit
Turn right on Colfax, head west
Stay on Colfax through the large intersection with Hwy 6
Next light is for Home Depot; keep going straight
Next left is Corporate Cir. - turn left here
If you go under the overpass, you?ve gone too far

Coming from the east (Hwy 6)?
Take State Hwy 6 west?
At intersection with Hwy 40 (Colfax), turn left
Next light is for Home Depot; keep going straight
Next left is Corporate Cir. - turn left here
If you go under the overpass, you?ve gone too far

From once you have turned on Corporate Circle?
At the stop sign, turn right (T-intersection)
Turn left at the first street
The first left (again) is the driveway into the parking lot where we'll be Carving; park on the road, and walk on down

Meeting Times:
Friday, Oct. 15: 2:45 - 3 PM
Saturday, Oct. 16: 8:45 - 9 AM; 2:45 - 3 PM
Sunday, Oct. 17: 8:45 - 9 AM

Session schedule:
Fri, 10/15:
3 - 6PM Carving
Sat, 10/16:
9 - noon, Carving
noon - 3, lunch & video; we will eat at a local restaurant
3 - 6 Carving
Sun, 10/17:
9 - noon, Carving

Equipment that you must bring:
Ski boots, socks, poles
Carvers (if you own them)
Helmet (bike, ski, or inline)
Hard wrist guards
Hard-shell knee and elbow pads

Recommended items:
Sunglasses
Sturdy long pants (loose jeans, Carhartt's, sweat pants, etc.)
Windbreaker
Padded hockey shorts

If you don't have Carvers yet, we'll have demos for you to use during camp. We'll get those set up the first day.

Any questions? Let us know by e-mail or phone. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Harald

Postby wolverineNorb » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:22 pm

Harald : I am confused by the mixed messages I am getting re boots. Your last post is clear re your feelings about the Tecnica line. Yet the main website now has 2005 boot reviews and they do not mention the issues you have re the Tecnica line. This makes me wonder whether I should trust the reviews. As I am contemplating dropping a pretty hefty chunk of change for new boots I sure as heck do not want to end up with rotary boots but it isn't clear to me which manufacturer makes lateral versus rotary boots. If you know which lines are the ones we as skiers should concentrate on if you want a lateral boot this would make the search far easier. I know you like Head, are all their models lateral? Specifically I am interested in the S12. Could you list the other lateral boot manufacturer's models that you are aware of? Thanks.
wolverineNorb

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System