Feedback on my skiing

PMTS Forum

Feedback on my skiing

Postby zkyle » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:37 pm

Love this forum and all the info it provides. Thought I'd take the opportunity to post some videos and get some feedback. A little info about myself. 42 yrs old, 6'2" about 240. I get 4-6 days a year on the snow, 2-3 in Colorado and the rest back in the midwest. I have read two of Harald's books and practice the drills. These have really help me with my skiing, but would like to get some feedback on whether I'm heading in the right direction.

http://vimeo.com/3415475
http://vimeo.com/3415532

Thanks in advance and look forward to your comments.

-Ed
Last edited by zkyle on Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zkyle

Re: Feedback on my skiing

Postby h.harb » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:50 am

Hello Ed,

The simplest way to answer is to watch your video and look for the foot separation at transition. Do you see your feet coming apart during transition? This constitutes a step out and an extension. If you can figure out how to transition without separating your feet and skis, you will begin to tip off your old edges onto the new edges using a releasing movement. The extra steps or movements you use between each turn create a skidded turn. There are other things to work on as well, like reducing the flexing which drops the hips too much, but first work on the first part of the advice I posted.

In general flexing or bending involves bending the stance leg, which should not drop the hips.
h.harb

Postby zkyle » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:36 pm

h.harb wrote:Hello Ed,

The simplest way to answer is to watch your video and look for the foot separation at transition. Do you see your feet coming apart during transition? This constitutes a step out and an extension. If you can figure out how to transition without separating your feet and skis, you will begin to tip off your old edges onto the new edges using a releasing movement.

Yes, that exactly what I saw when I first looked at the video. It doesn't feel like I'm doing that while skiing but is very visable in the video, even more so, when I slow the video down, in fact it looks down right ugly! Hopefully I can get back on the snow this year and work on that change. Thanks Harald!
zkyle

Postby Marek » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:41 pm

Hi Ed,
Your videos, sorry but there is nothing about skiing :roll: Any idea why ?
Marek
Marek

Postby zkyle » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:11 pm

Marek wrote:Hi Ed,

I not quite following you. The two videos I posted are about skiing.
zkyle

Postby h.harb » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:43 pm

Marek, We don't understand what you mean.
h.harb

Postby Ken » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:51 pm

h.harb wrote:Hello Ed,

The simplest way to answer is to watch your video and look for the foot separation at transition. Do you see your feet coming apart during transition? This constitutes a step out and an extension. If you can figure out how to transition without separating your feet and skis, you will begin to tip off your old edges onto the new edges using a releasing movement. The extra steps or movements you use between each turn create a skidded turn.
Ed,
You probably don't realize you feel the need to get a new edge into the snow before you release the old edge. It can be a deeply ingrained habit. As you work on the release drills, you'll first find the moment when both skis are running free down the fall line for just an instant somewhat unnerving, but keep practicing the release drills and you'll find the enjoyment in that moment in time, and you'll also find the ability to make the movements smoothly and correctly.
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby Marek » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:33 am

zkyle wrote:
Marek wrote:Hi Ed,

I not quite following you. The two videos I posted are about skiing.

Ed, when clicking the links from your post I get a lot of stuff, but not related to skiing, right now there are some beautiful views from Iceland :? What is going on ?
Marek
Marek

Postby zkyle » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:46 am

Ken wrote:Ed,
You probably don't realize you feel the need to get a new edge into the snow before you release the old edge. It can be a deeply ingrained habit. As you work on the release drills, you'll first find the moment when both skis are running free down the fall line for just an instant somewhat unnerving, but keep practicing the release drills and you'll find the enjoyment in that moment in time, and you'll also find the ability to make the movements smoothly and correctly.

Thanks Ken, I'm going to work on that!
Last edited by zkyle on Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zkyle

Postby zkyle » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:51 am

Marek wrote: Ed, when clicking the links from your post I get a lot of stuff, but not related to skiing, right now there are some beautiful views from Iceland :? What is going on ?

I have no idea? The links work for me. Maybe somebody here can embed the videos if thats possible.
zkyle

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System