Anyone skied the Fischer RX Red Heat?

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Anyone skied the Fischer RX Red Heat?

Postby 2wheelham » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:54 pm

Hello,
I received a gift card to a local ski shop. They don't sell Head, so I'm considering their offerings. One model is the Fischer RX Red Heat with FS11 Railflex2 bindings. It's the only Fischer they sell. Has anyone skied this and what did you think of it?
What length and conditions? I am 5'-10" and 175lbs, sking Colorado, working on PMTS carving and learning to ski bumps. I recently attended the Harb Super Blue camp at A-Basin. I demo'ed the Xenon 7 and Supershape Magnum (which I liked) for comparision.
Thanks
2wheelham

Re: Anyone skied the Fischer RX Red Heat?

Postby Erik » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:49 pm

The expertskier.com review says

The "everyone" ski in the Heat group. Solid carver, easy to ski with a zippy feel. Great skill builder or teaching ski. Principal weakness: a handful in bumps.

I have not skied it. Harald has said positive things about Fischer skis in general. I do have the Fischer RX8, which has a narrower waist, and is a good ski for learning PMTS.

Erik
Erik

Postby Skeeter » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:30 pm

Hi, I haven't skied the "Red" heat, but I do ski the "Pure" heat and love it!
Skeeter

Postby 2wheelham » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:17 pm

Thanks Erik,
I read this review before asking the question. It's that "a handfull in the bumps" comment that worries me. Getting better at skiing bumps is one of my goals. I had asked Harald and staff about the store's offerings in general and the response was "buy the Fischers." I've read good things about both the RX8 and Progressor 8. The store doesn't carry either, but perhaps they could order it. My ski time is limited and its hard to demo skis in Texas.
2wheelham

Postby Narrowfeet » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:09 pm

I ski the Cool Heat. It is stiffer and wider than the Red Heat. They work fine in the bumps. I would not worry about the comment.
Narrowfeet

Postby jbotti » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:35 pm

I have skied a few of the Fischer Heat series skis including th Red Heat. I found them all to be excellent hard snow skis and all of them were on the stiff side for off piste skiing. I am not surprised that the line was discontinued. In the widths that the skis were offered they lacked verstaility IMO. Still lots of skis available on ebay at very cheap prices.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby 2wheelham » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:50 pm

Here is an update to this inquiry that I made some time ago to finish out the story. The gift card was a refund on ill-fitted boots that I had purchased locally (not in Colorado). I was eventually able to use my gift card to purchase other ski gear and miscellaneous cycling gear, since the place did not have ski choices that I was very interested in.

Harald's shop generously allowed me to demo a number of skis during one of his camps about a year ago and then again a couple of months later during a family ski trip. I very much liked the Head Supershape Magnum, but also tried out the Head Monster 78's. The iM78's were so much fun that I ended up buying them, along with bindings and poles. I had been fitted with and had purchased properly fitting boots at the camp, along with getting aligned, which made a big difference for me. The instruction at Harald's camps is absolutely first rate!!! Thank you Harald, Diana, Bob, Rich, Chris, and all the others that make these camps so great. Also, thanks to Chris Brown for all of his expertise and advice on equipment. Overall, a great experience that you won't get at some bargain shop. I probably paid a little bit more for the skis, but I think it was worth it for all the help and service provided (which included a total of 10 days use of various demo skis.) I'd rather support Harald's business than be sold the wrong stuff at the"right" price elsewhere. He and his staff know what they are doing!

MC
2wheelham

Return to Gear