Good learning skis

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Good learning skis

Postby nurseskier » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:50 pm

Hi there,
I bought the Esssentials of Skiing this year. I've been skiing for 5 yrs but feel like I'm starting over. I am getting better at tipping and skiing on edge vs turning, but wondering if someone could recommend good learning skis. I am 5'2" (or 157 cm) tall, 125lb ski in Washington State. Would I need a carver-only type of ski or could I get away with All Mtn Carver that's maybe a little wider waisted for more versatility? What would you recommend for ski camp?
I'm looking at:
Nordica Olympia Speed 116-70-102 r14m in 154 length
Atomic Royal Minx 113-72-99 14m in 150 length
Roxy Joyrider 126-74-105 12m (?) in 154 length
Head Great One 123-77-109 12m (?) in 153 length
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Heather
nurseskier

Re: Good learning skis additional info

Postby nurseskier » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:43 am

I forgot to say that I ski about 20-30 times per year. The only skis they have for demo at the resort I ski at are K2s and Atomics. I like Atomics because they seem to have good edge and energy I have skied the Sugar Mamas and Cloud 9. K2s don't seem very energetic.
Thanks again.
Heather
nurseskier

Re: Good learning skis

Postby Mac » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:47 am

You should also put Elan on your list. They have made a strong commitment to a lineup of women's skis over the last few years. The ladies that I ski with that have them swear by them. They also have a very cool website, probably the best in the business. Check it out at elanskis.com.
Mac

Postby midwif » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:38 pm

Hi Nurseski
I demo'ed the Nordica and found it very stiff, too stiff. I am 5'4"/118lbs.
The Head Great Ones are wider and may not be the ski to improve tipping skills.
Consider the Head Every One. Also rated highly and at your size has decent float for deeper snow.
THe Vision Vapor was a close second when I demo'ed last year and you should consider it, IMHO>
I have also heard good things about the Elan skis, but no personal experience.

Best of luck
Midwif
midwif

Postby nurseskier » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:24 am

Midwif,
You said the Vision Vapors were a close second...what was your 1st choice? Also, what in particular did you like about the Vapor. I have been watching the reviews on these since last year and they all seem pretty darn good. My main concern with the Vapors would be if they could whip out carved short rad turns. I skied the Volkl Tierras which have almost (if not the same) sidecut...loved the way they carved but had a hard time with the short turns.
Thanks for replying.
nurseskier

Postby midwif » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:11 pm

Hi Nurseskis
I ended getting the "Every Thangs", now the Every Ones.
They held well on east coast boiler plate, did nicely with up to 6-8 inches of powder as well. I take them in the bumps, though my old Head iC160's were more nimble there.
I am currently considering skis for my "rockies one ski quiver'. I was in colorado twice this season and in Park city as well. With really deep snow, I suffered on the ET's. Though to be honest, my skills are probably the real issue (lack of powder skills).

I wanted to demo the Fischer Vision Zeals and Head Great one. Couldn't find either at shops out west. Still the ET's did well over all. Solid ski and I am able to work on developing PMTS skills with them.

Lynn
midwif

Postby Marek » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:50 am

Heather,
my wife is exactly like you, same weight and size. She skied various brands but really falled in love with Stockli Spirits ( 157 cm ), thay are light, fast and nimble - great learning tool IMO.
Marek
Marek

Return to Gear