Angles on i.m78's

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Angles on i.m78's

Postby gregmerz » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:20 pm

Obviously it matters on all skis but I've read somewhere that the performance of the i.m78's can be positively impacted by the right tune.

This ski will be used both on hard packed piste (Midwest) and various conditions all over the Rockies. My default tune is 1 degree base and 3 degree edge.

Recommendations ??
gregmerz

Re: Angles on i.m78's

Postby Mac » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:14 pm

I'm probably not the best one to be talking about iM78's as I don't own a pair, but since no one else has jumped in, I'll tell you about my experience with the Heads I've owned, Monster 75, XRC 1100 Chip, etc.
I'm pretty sure most Heads come from the factory with a 1 degree base and 1 degree side bevel. I find that to be pretty boring, but tunes are pretty subjective, some people may like one thing, others may like something else, etc. I found that the best all around tune for me was one that I got from a shop in Frisco that put a .7 degree bevel on the base and a 2 degree side bevel. I know that it may sound like splltting hairs with a .7 on the base, but I can tell the difference. I personally don't like a 1 degree base bevel, but many people do. But I think you would be safe with a 1 and 2 degree side bevel for all condition skiing.
Mac

Postby Boomer » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:39 pm

Bump - some noob tuning questions.

I just ordered a pair of '09 im78s. Does anybody know how they come from the factory? I read elsewhere that they come with more than 1 degree base (somebody said 3??). If that's true, would I need a stone grind to return them to 1?

More generally, what are the performance characteristics of a 1 side vs. a 2 or 3? My other skis are XRC 800s, and I've always had them at 1/1.

FWIW, I'm a low intermediate who started experimenting with PMTS last year and have decided to get serious about it this year. I'll be spending a lot of time doing drills on green/blue terrain on the XRCs. Bought the Monsters on a whim just to play around with - I've never been on anything wider than a 68.

Any suggestions on tuning for either pair? Thanks.
Boomer

Postby jbotti » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:17 pm

Boomer, a lot depends on where you ski. If ice or boiler plate is involved, 1 degree side bevel angle just doesn't cut it. I ski all my skis at 1 base and 3 side except for race skis which I keep at .5 or .75 base and 3 side. For me the minimum is 2 side. For a developing intermediate this is probably a good place to start. I would go there on the IM 78's and the XRC 800's and see how you like it. You can always take it up to 3 down the road.

I don't know how the IM 78's come from the factory. My experience with Head skis is that there can be variance on the factory tune. You can cetainly have someone look at them and measure where they are tuned. If you are above 1 on the base, I would definitley get them ground and then tuned to 1 degree.

The more side edge angle you have the more hold you will have on ice and boiler plate. If you are not exact with your movements the higher side edge angle can get grabby or you can catch an edge easier. If you truly flex to release and do not push off the old stance ski this shouldn't be an issue. Still as an intermediate you don't want something too unforgiving.

For base bevel, the lower the angle is the less forgiving it is. So .5 is grabbier than 1 degree.

Hope that helps.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Boomer » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:21 am

Thanks for the input, jbotti.
Boomer

Postby Mac » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:19 am

I've found that there can be a big variation with skis right out of the wrapper from the factory, not just with Head, but with every ski manufacturer. A lot of shops will just tune the skis with a 1degree base and a 1 degree side, they figure that a generic tune like that will suite most of their customers, their thought process being that 95% of their customers can't tell the difference. And unfortunately, even if you ask for a specific side and base bevel, a lot of shops will just tune them the way the normally would, anyway. I would recommend Precision Ski in Frisco as I mentioned in my previous post. Harald turned me on to them a few years ago. They are the most consistently good tuning shop I know of. I travel to different parts of the country to ski, and I find that the .7/2 base and side bevel that they use works pretty good everywhere.
Mac

Return to Gear