Are these skis beyond my ability?

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Are these skis beyond my ability?

Postby Crispy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:36 pm

I am an intermediate skier, which means I do not tremble with fear when facing blue slopes, but I am sure my technique can use lots of work, and I'm reading Harb's books and trying to learn from them. I have been skiing for about 3 years, ski only a few times a year and last year I purchased my first ski equipment.

I was looking for the Head XRC 500/800 ski's since I read a lot of recommendations for them from Harb, other pmts people and many sites. I am not able to afford new equipment and unfortunately the only used deal I could find was for the XRC 1100 model. At the time I purchased them (along with Head boots, tyrolia bindings) thinking that the skis would let me grow into them and would last me a very long time.

However on the slopes they feel so fast! I am not sure if its just getting used to decent skis instead of rentals or they are beyond my ability to control. I do not like the feeling that they want to go faster than I do and I don't want to risk injury or have them be a barrier in my learning.

So I am faced with some decisions -
1. get rid of them, start looking for used deals on XRC 800, or equivalent ski for me (I do plan on keeping my boots though)
2. go back to rentals till I feel comfortable
3. persevere till I master them!

Any help is appreciated.
Crispy

Re: Are these skis beyond my ability?

Postby Mac » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:30 am

Due to Heads somewhat confusing terminalogy, there are at least three different models of the XRC that bear the 1100 label. One is the 1100 Chip, a black ski with cap construction. Another is the XRC 1100, a yellow ski with cap construction, basically the same ski as the 1100 Chip minus the Chip. A third is the 1100 SW, a high octane sandwich/laminate verical sidewall constuction, also yellow. All of these skis are fairly high performance, the XRC 1100 being the most tame of the bunch, and the 1100 SW being the most potent. The XRC 800 of which you speak is a slightly toned down version of the XRC 1100. Pervious years XRC 800 are blue in color, this years model is red. All the 1100 models are stiffer than the 800, and will be more agreeable to a higher level skier. I would think that the 800 would be a better match for someone of your ability, and the nice thing about the 800 is that it has a pretty broad performance spectrum, easy enough for relaxed cruising, but a high enough performance ceiling so you won't be outgrowing it anytime soon. Plus, it should be easy to find a good deal on them at this time of year.
Mac

Postby Ken » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:10 pm

You need to tell us your height and weight as well as the length of the skis you bought.

Taller, heavier, higher energy, higher skilled skiers need more ski than skiers who are less so. As skis get longer they get stiffer. In some cases the longest ski in a model line is disproportionately stiffer than the other skis in that line so it can handle the strongest, heaviest skiers.

If you got a long 1100 for your size, yes, too much ski. If you got a short 1100, it might be OK if you learn to handle it. You gave us your skill level; we need your size and the ski size. Also give us your skiing region. If you're in mainly soft snow, the Xenon 7.0 or new 8.0 would be a better ski for you. If you're mainly on hard snow, the iXRC is very good. And, the iXRC800 is lots of fun just about everywhere. My Mrs. has iXRC800, and I have Xenon 7.0.
Ken

Postby Crispy » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:51 pm

I'm 5'8, 175lb (need to work out more!). The skis I have are XRC 1100 SRF II 156cm, and since they are yellow don't have the chip. I ski in the lake Tahoe region, groomed intermediate trails. I ventured into powder a few times with humorous results (for the spectators, not me!). The length is short enough for my height/weight, right?

edit - boots are Head Edge 10.0.
Crispy

Postby Ken » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:36 pm

The 156 should be OK.

Big question---do you ski with your weight back on your heels? If you aren't balanced somewhere between forward and centered, any top line ski will take you for a ride.

All skis have a performance ceiling and a performance floor. A typical rental ski for beginners has a low performance ceiling and the lowest performance floor. When the beginner puts wrong movements into the ski, the ski absorbs them instead of reacting to them. The ski also absorbs right movements, thus the desire for higher performance skis as the skier improves. A top line ski like the XRC1100 has a high performance ceiling...it can be very satisfying to a good skier, and has a somewhat high performance floor. It has to be skied pretty much right. The ski responds to the movements of the skier. Right movements result in great ski performance. Wrong movements result in terrifying ski performance. If you're skiing with your hips and body behind your feet, this ski will feel terrible to you. Have someone look at you as you ski by, or get some photos or video. If you're working the front half of the skis, they should work well for you.

If you are skiing in the backseat, make a posting on the technique forum. You'll get lots of help there.

Also have your favorite ski shop check the edge angles. Sometimes the factory tune of the ski is not right. I like 1° base edge bevel for our wet coastal snow. I like 3° side edge bevel for better grip on hard pack. If needed, the shop can fix the angles with a ceramic disc edge shaping and sharpening, or maybe hand work on the edges. Skis with the bottom or edges that are not right ski very poorly. In the Eastbay, I'd use California Ski Co. in Berkeley.
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby Crispy » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:25 pm

Ken, its quite possible I ski too far back. I get the feeling that the skis shoot out from under me the moment I am not balanced during a turn, which then ends up in me being out of control. I know decent equipment will expose flaws in technique, at least now I know its within my reach!

Next time I go skiing I'll get some video and post here for MA. I also want to look into alignment/bootfitting but haven't found a place in the bay area which will do it for a reasonable sum.
Crispy

Postby rlspalding » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:34 pm

Crispy wrote:I also want to look into alignment/bootfitting but haven't found a place in the bay area which will do it for a reasonable sum.

Definitely the most important thing to do for your own gear. I think most people here will agree you should spend the money on boots and alignment before anything else. I know Ive read posts else where on these forums if you only have money for one, spend it on the boots and alignment and rent the skis. I used to ski the exact same boots you have. Unfortunatley I never knew about alignment and fitting. They didnt fit the shape of my foot and I should have never bought them in the first place. I went to HH's shop in Colorado, what a difference!
rlspalding

Return to Gear