Disconnect between racing technique and ski instruction!!!

PMTS Forum

Disconnect between racing technique and ski instruction!!!

Postby h.harb » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:55 pm

h.harb

Re: Disconnect between racing technique and ski instruction!!!

Postby fisherskionsnow » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:43 pm

Like night and day. What a difference in watching a the two videos. I have tried the tradition method with lots of up and down movements, eventually I will go skidding or even falling when I lose contact with the snow. It's such a wasted movement.
Kenneth j. Fisher
fisherskionsnow

Postby jbotti » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:48 pm

This so clearly proves one thing, most of the people defending the style of skiing in the first video are in denial. I showed both video's to my daughter who is 8 years old and doesn't know PMTS from PSIA, and I asked her who was skiing better and who she would like to ski like. She did not go near the up move skiers and immedialtely pointed the the skier in the second video. I showed her the video of Sato that Max posted last week and she said, "wow that's great skiing". So if my daughter who is 8 can see the difference why can't a PSIA level three cert see the difference. The answer is obvious, they can, but to truly acknowledge it they would need to acknowledge that what they have been teaching for the past many years is also inferior and massively less efficient.

BTW, it doesn't make them bad people!!! Most of us are in some sort of denial about something!!! But it most likley makes it a waste ot time to try and rationally convince them about PMTS. Denial is never rational.

BTW, many thanks to Max and Harald for finding and posting some video of some really great skiing. It has and continues to be a pleasure to watch. It's actually beyond that, it's downright inspirational!!
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby anglegirl » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:23 pm

Imagine what that guy could ski like if he was on Head boots!
anglegirl

Postby h.harb » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:31 pm

IN the first video, notice the emphasis on extension and rotation. Some exercises in this piece are good exercises, but they are totally disconnected from the teaching of movements and progressions. This is the Japanese Demo Team. They use the Austrian model and always have. They use Austrian Demo Team members as coaches for their Team. But both Austria and Japan’s best skiers demonstrate a disconnect from their instructors, using very different movements in their own skiing from what the national instructor organization demonstrates.

It is baffling that they don't change their systems. We know PSIA is a lost cause and that they are in denial, they have safegaurded themselves, by filtering outsiders and putting themselves into a make-believe world of low sub-standard skiing. That's why they keep such a tight unit, they don't like outsiders, as outsiders expose their hypocrisy. Why do you think MAx501 gets such a hard time at Epic, when he compares PSIA skiing to PMTS skiing. He always asks people over there to post video, they hate that because they know they can’t match up. They can't have PMTS discussed on Epic becasue too many skiers end up following PMTS. We love to discuss PSIA methods here, we're not afraid.
The skiing public would be aghast, but I think they already are, because they don’t take lessons.

On the other hand, the Austrians and the French, how can they hold on to all the old useless stuff they teach. They have great skiers, yet they don’t want to make great skiers out of their students. I think that’s partly it, they don’t think it matters. They believe regular people can not become great skiers. I know PSIA believes they can’t make great skiers out of students.
h.harb

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System