MA requested

PMTS Forum

MA requested

Postby Arkady » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:01 pm

Here is my recent video. It is the end of the first season I am learning PMTS (for a couple of years I followed the books, this year went to a camp).

Sorry for poor quality (both skiing abd videography). It is at Buck Hill, Minnesota, on a local moderate black (would be blue down West?), snow is pretty slushy. The intent was to do some shorter turns, then longer turns, trying to follow PMTS, , concentrating on tipping, applying different amount of edging (I was careful, because the snow did not hold too well) and different timing. I also experimented with poles. It all happened before a NASTAR race, so I tried to save a little energy for the course. Do not hesitate to be critical, I know it is bad. I see many mistakes myself, but I would appreciate other people's opinions, especially, what should be the priority in further work.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7li1fDR3S7A"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7li1fDR3S7A" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

http://www.youtube.com/v/7li1fDR3S7A

I also apologize if my embedding does not work right - no experience.
Arkady

Re: MA requested

Postby jbotti » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:40 pm

Arkady, two things that I will mention. There is still some inablilty to tip the inside ski to the same angle as the stance ski especially when the left leg is the inside or free foot. Tipping drills in the essentials will help this. I also think that that practicing the 1 and 2 footed releases with a large focus on tipping will help as well.

The other issue that you will want to address is the upper body and rotating it into each turn. A pole plant is absent in the whole video. I would read up on upper and lower body seperation in ACBAES 2 and also on pole planting in the same book. Counteracting movements would be what I would try to work on next.

Do the tipping work first. All of the essentials that need improvement in your skiing can be improved by doing the 1 and 2 footed release drills and by practicing the BPSRT (with a pole plant). It will address your fore aft balance (which needs to be more forward), the need for more tipping, counteracting and counterbalancing movements.

Congrats on posting some video. You will get many worthwhile comments.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby jclayton » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:12 pm

Hi Arkady ,
incorporate some patience in the drills JBotti suggested , lift and tip and let the stance ski turn by itself . Even the larger turns are rushed resulting in a Zig Zag effect , a quick turn and a long traverse .

This should also help keep the upper body a bit quieter .

One of the beauties of skiing is the feeling of always turning , I guess as a result of always being on an edge and having the skis work .

Doesn't look like much in the way of tree runs with cliff bands down in Minnesota .
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby h.harb » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:20 pm

You will no doubt have plenty of excellent suggestions from many PMTS skiers on this forum. Take them all to heart as these skiers have learned to ski well and they have gone through the steps; so they know what it takes. My one suggestion is not a technique or an exercise, it’s a strategy. Take your turns further across the falline, that means complete the arc and force yourself to stay in the turn.

You are rushing right now and rushing doesn’t give you time to work out the steps and movements that need improvement. You will find when you have more time to think, you will be able to work out the steps to flatten the skis and transfer to the new little toe (Super Phantom); your release will begin to make sense.

Right now you are skiing while sitting back. The radius of turn you are making doesn’t allow you to get back over your skis (re-center yourself) in time for next turn. Have a look at my post about ankle flex and knee angle, compare the knee shin angle to yours, that will help you to see where and how to stand over your boots.
h.harb

Postby Arkady » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:47 pm

Thank you, Harald, jbotti and jclayton!

As I expected, I have some great suggestions immediately. It goes very much in the same direction as the camp coaches' comments.
At this stage, I hope, I am able to work on the elements needed most on my own (with the help of MA pointers) - until find an occasion for another camp.

These rushed turns is definitely a major problem, on which I worked this year, but apparently, not enough. That is how video hepls immensely - to see that it is still there. There is a hope that if I am more patient with turn completion, I gain more time for the other movements, which I also rush or just skip.

Fore/aft balance is another recurrent problem I need to address. I lost control of it here, trying to ski slower and concentrating on tipping.

I will try to concentrate on these two and maybe even shoot another video.

Lazy tipping of the inside left foot...I definitely have to pay more attention to that.

Upper body rotation looks really bad - much worse than I hoped for before seeing the video. Hopefully, correcting the problems above could also help with that. Hands are flying all over. My pole work is virtually non-existent, at this stage I am probably better off doing nothing. Or, maybe, it is time to begin working on that?

This year was good. Maybe, I could have made a faster progress concentrating on techincal drills, but I could not stand temptation skiing steeps and racing whenever possible. It looks like we are up to the last week of the season in the Twin Cities area :( .
Arkady

Postby jclayton » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:58 pm

Controlling the arms is difficult once it starts . A great excercise is the Pole Drag . I have to watch it or I start to look like a drummer , forearm moving up and down , so I work on just using wrist action .
Diana had us at the race camp last year keeping the pole tips touching the ground , especially concentrating on the downhill pole . This controlled the arm and assisted counterbalancing .

A problem I had also with pole plant was moving the downhill arm too far forward , upsetting the counter acting . I have worked on keeping it a bit back while keeping the arm strong with the inside pole . I felt the benefits immediately .
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

I think I have been IN THE ZONE - thanks to the forum!

Postby Arkady » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:17 pm

I read and re-read all the comments to my video, every word, then read once again everything on pole plant and pole swing in ACBAES-2 and "Essentials".
I skied yesterday and today (the season in Minnesota is still on, counting the last days).

I tried to concentrate on just a few things: (1) keeping the weight forward (it felt way forward to me), (2) taking the turns "further across the fall line" (quote Harald): not turning, but tipping and letting the skis turn, (3) timing the release with a gentle pole swing and tap. And turns started to happen! The release started to "make sense" (quote Harald). For an hour or so it was just sheer fun - my upper body sudddenly was quiet with no special effort, skis worked their way around, and I had plenty of time to think (a completely new feeling)! I even had to control the edging, because with too much effort the rebound in the end of the turns pushed me uphill and up in the air! I looked at my tracks - and they suddenly looked solid (hardly ever before). Well, maybe it was not as good as I imagined, and then I surely got tired and lost the rhythm and flow, but at least for a while I was there - which was entirely new level for me.

The thing is: I really did not clearly see the problems (and ways out of them) even after watching my own video! If I were to make corrections myself judging from the video, I would do something completely different - probably, concentrating on the stance and trying to think more about the upper body (?) The advice I got in the forum was right on the money - exactly what to think about and concentrate upon. Thanks again!

Now I am thinking of a way to get a new video out this season, if there is a chance. It looks like it is snowing, and snowing heavily...

I
Arkady

Postby Arkady » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:22 pm

I would like to suggest one more video. I tried to change two things from the first video in the OP: not rush the short turns too much and not to rotate the upper body into the turn, even if I had to forget about the poles. The result does not look good, though. I did not feel any rhythm and felt too much in the backseat. It seems like every time I shoot the video, I lose the flow completely. Or, may be it is just not there at all.

The first runs (with music) were at Buck Hill, blue run, near ideal snow, soft but well groomed. The last one is on a different day, in Welch Village, local black run with plenty of slush. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

In particular, does the snow flying aside indicate the tail pushing? Is it worse on one side or it is just effect of the slope?

Sorry for the movie quality - my daughter is a begginer in videography.

http://www.youtube.com/v/DCUMPPNbcjo&hl=en
Arkady

Postby leopold bloom » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:11 pm

Hello Arkady,

You needn't apologize for your cameraman. The video quality is just fine. The sound track, however, is another matter. I think that meandering sax solo has thrown you off your game.

Job one (perhaps job only) for you is to adjust your stance forward. As you noted, you are in the backseat--possibly in the trunk. This is the root cause of your problems.

As you know, the goal is to get the skis to turn you rather than the inverse proposition. This won't happen until you can apply some pressure to the front of the ski.

I would set aside your other ski improvement goals for now and focus on finding some flex in the ankle to bring your hips forward. An exercise like Phantom Garlands will allow you separate this element from the rest of the turn mechanics. Start out on a ridiculously gentle slope and get your skis to hook up and draw you through the arc consistently before moving on to steeper grades.

An iPod with a good selection of headbanger music will enhance the learning experience. In particular, System of a Down may help with the requisite attitude adjustment.

- Leo
leopold bloom

Postby h.harb » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:41 pm

Let’s begin with some basics. You are standing on both feet; therefore there is little transferring of weight from ski to ski. In a left turn, from the top of the turn that’s the high C, you should be standing on the right foot. Reverse that for the other direction. To do this you will need to bring you feet closer together. The reason you don’t feel or sense that you are in the trunk (as far as back seat goes) is because you are standing on two feet. This is not balancing; this may feel like a stable position, but no one ever learned to ski by being stable, at this level.

Once you are standing on one foot in a turn, fore/aft balance will become much more important to you. And you will find that the alternative is very taxing on the Quads.

Here's how to go about changing if you want instant results. In a left turn, from the top of the turn, that’s the high C, you should be standing on the right foot. (left ski off the snow) Reverse that for the other direction. To do this you will need to bring you feet closer together. The reason you don’t feel or sense that you are in the truck (as far as back seat goes) is because you are standing on two feet. This is not balancing; it maybe stable, but no one ever learned to ski by being stable at this level. Also do this on a flat slope, you are skiing a slope (too steep) that won't let you learn.

Once you are able to stand on one foot in a turn, fore/aft balance will become much more important to you; the alternative (back seat) is very taxing on the Quads. To understand, fore/aft balance imagine your hips over your knees. Right now your hips are behind your knees. The femur bones are jutting almost straight back from the knees. This might be a position for a high speed, carving, release, in the float, but not as a default fore/aft position. If you can get your feet back and hold them under your hips the whole time you are skiing, all of a sudden skiing will become less exhausting.This means you have to be active with your hamstring muscles and pull your feet back with an actual pull back move. In the Essentials book there is an exercise called Flappers, it's a great way to learn how to pull back.
h.harb

Postby Arkady » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:06 pm

leopold bloom wrote:You needn't apologize for your cameraman. The video quality is just fine. The sound track, however, is another matter. I think that meandering sax solo has thrown you off your game.

Job one (perhaps job only) for you is to adjust your stance forward. As you noted, you are in the backseat--possibly in the trunk. This is the root cause of your problems.

As you know, the goal is to get the skis to turn you rather than the inverse proposition. This won't happen until you can apply some pressure to the front of the ski.

I would set aside your other ski improvement goals for now and focus on finding some flex in the ankle to bring your hips forward. An exercise like Phantom Garlands will allow you separate this element from the rest of the turn mechanics. Start out on a ridiculously gentle slope and get your skis to hook up and draw you through the arc consistently before moving on to steeper grades.

An iPod with a good selection of headbanger music will enhance the learning experience. In particular, System of a Down may help with the requisite attitude adjustment.

- Leo

Thanks, Leo.

Unfortunately, skiing is not my game (yet!) My game would be chess - that is where I am an expert, not here...So, music is not my problem (though I will listen to your advice), sitting on my heels is. Funny, this video day the backs of my calves were aching, but before I saw the video, I could not figure out why.

Well, back to the books and practice greens. I will try to get a few more skiing days out of Minnesotan winter.

Arkady

I really appreciate this fast feedback - gives me another chance this season.
Arkady

Postby Arkady » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:17 pm

h.harb wrote: Here's how to go about changing if you want instant results. In a left turn, from the top of the turn, that’s the high C, you should be standing on the right foot. (left ski off the snow) Reverse that for the other direction. To do this you will need to bring you feet closer together. The reason you don’t feel or sense that you are in the truck (as far as back seat goes) is because you are standing on two feet. This is not balancing; it maybe stable, but no one ever learned to ski by being stable at this level. Also do this on a flat slope, you are skiing a slope (too steep) that won't let you learn.

Once you are able to stand on one foot in a turn, fore/aft balance will become much more important to you; the alternative (back seat) is very taxing on the Quads. To understand, fore/aft balance imagine your hips over your knees. Right now your hips are behind your knees. The femur bones are jutting almost straight back from the knees. This might be a position for a high speed, carving, release, in the float, but not as a default fore/aft position. If you can get your feet back and hold them under your hips the whole time you are skiing, all of a sudden skiing will become less exhausting.This means you have to be active with your hamstring muscles and pull your feet back with an actual pull back move. In the Essentials book there is an exercise called Flappers, it's a great way to learn how to pull back.

Harald,

thank you for a quick response.

I believe that I could have totally messed my fore/aft balance experimenting with picking up speed. In the hindsight it looks like a bad idea. Back to the books and practice for me! Reading Essentials: by Flappers, do you mean "sliding heel pullbacks" or "free-foot teetering"? I also used to do some javelin arcs - will you also recommend those?

Regards,

Arkady
Arkady

Postby h.harb » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:35 am

Heel pull backs, no javelins yet.
h.harb

Postby Arkady » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:58 am

Minnesota was blessed with one more snowstorm and a few more skiing days. I was on the snow on Friday, and then on Wednesday, which was my 40-th day this year - the best season so far! Conditions were interesting: from 10 to 12 noon - great! Perfect snow, hard at first, softer then. It warmed up to about 50, so in the afternoon it all became sketchy.

I worked both days on pulling the feet back and skiing what felt like way forward. I was on my XRC 1100 (in 170) and it took me about an hour before I even could get my tails flap in motion (drill from the book). It really felt like falling head forward, but what I noticed - my stance narrowed down without special attention to it. It just happened. I had no one around to make video, so the best visual cue I had was given by the tracks - they were not as wide as before and cleaner, on better runs no skid marks were evident. That was Friday.

On Wednesday, when the snow gave way and conditions deteriorated, my tracks were worse again - relatively narrow and clean at transition, wide skid at the apex. I was definitely, consciously more forward - I concentrated on that. What did I miss? I would say, snow was bad and most skiers were skidding - however, better skiers still managed clean lines and deep carved tracks.

In the afternoon, I had an opportunity to test Xenon 7 (in 163) and Supershapes (in 160) - whatever was available in the mountain demo shop. I should say, I could not appreciate Xenons, weather did not help here. I could bend them easier, tails flapped alright, but when I pressured the tips, they seemed to go down into slush and I felt myself on the verge of a face plant. I did not feel secure at all, especially at higher speeds. I know Harald recommended Xenon for my level, but it was probably a bad day to put it test.

However, Supershapes behave well, weather notwithstanding. In shorter length they seemed manageable. My tracks also looked much better.

This report is meant to assure all those, who have given me advice in this thread, that I do all I can to follow the recommendations. I will proceed in Summer on carvers and then, next season...This one seems to be over. Sun is shining, 58F? On the way home I will pick up some steaks and get the grill out.
Arkady

Postby h.harb » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:11 pm

This is advice for skiers caught in the Arkady situation. Skiing is about being up on angled skis, skiing on the skis edges.

Staying on the edges is your ticket to expert skiing. Remember you have to let the shape of the ski have an affect on your arc. Arkady, I reviewed your video posts. This is what is happening to you, this was explained in many ways during this post, but here is another approach. Work with the skis on edge. Use the edges to slow down (the curve of the arc shape) . For a period of time in your skiing, stay on the edges until the ski goes back uphill (almost to a stop) before you release. At present you are on the edges to about only 45 degrees to the Falline. You get on your edges very late, so the net time on your edges is about 10% of what it should be. Change this process and stay with the edges until you are 90 degrees to the falline. This may sound like a chore, but it will provide bigger, more positive changes in your skiing than anything else you can do on your own right now.
h.harb

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System