JR's MA Thread

PMTS Forum

JR's MA Thread

Postby Bolter » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:11 pm

As per HeluvaSkier's suggestion. Here are some videos for MA.

18m Elan GSX. Eastern refrozen hard pack.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WPyNBQFwMSg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sQTozPb6mz8
Bolter

Re: JR's MA Thread

Postby leopold bloom » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:43 pm

Hello Bolter,

Strong, aggressive skiing on what are probably pretty difficult conditions. You lay down some nice angles at the end of your turns.

One thing I noticed was that you seem to hang onto your big toe edge in transition and use it to ski onto your new edge.

Do you see what I mean?

- Leo
leopold bloom

Postby Bolter » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:23 pm

I see what you mean. My turn to the right is guilty more than the left. I have been working on counter balance in high C on the right turn. Today I drilled LTE tipping with flex and pull back on my right foot, in hopes to fix the transition. I also am working on power release type movements. In my carving, I want to get a better leg extension in middle C.

Here is a video of short turns. 16m radius skis, re-frozen man made, not groomed (coral reef sometimes) covered in 4" of wind blown but nice snow.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WTe-EUBvMFM

Ken, are these an improvement on my BPSRT from December?
Bolter

Postby SLAVA » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:06 pm

nice angles in the mid section see if you can get them earlier in upper C by increasing free foot tipping. .
you would benefit from "touch boot to flex" in transition phase. i wouldn't worry about counter balance( at least now) it looks really nice.
DOCENDO DISCIMUS.
SLAVA

Postby leopold bloom » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:56 pm

Hello Bolter,

You certainly have some interesting conditions at your resort. There were probably some lovely little surprises under the 4" of fluff, but you seem to take it all in stride and maintain your balance well.

On my computer I have a short clip of Harald Harb doing short radius turns in a skiff of powder that I found somewhere on the web. I took a look at it after viewing your clip.

One difference I noticed is that he lets his body cross his skis a lot more in transition with a vigorous flex and release motion. This allows him to develop early edge angles without much apparent effort. I see you flexing at the end of your turns but I suspect that you are resisting at the moment just before your release. This amounts to a bit of a push off into the next turn. It also blocks your body from crossing over your skis and getting the angles you want. If your body doesn't cross your skis you have no choice but to develop your angles by pushing your skis out away from you in the top part of the turn. I think you have a bit of this happening.

If you can identify this point of resistance and soften your legs to flex and tip right through it I think you will have some hot short radius turns.

- Leo
leopold bloom

Postby Bolter » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:55 am

Hello leo and Slava,
Thank you (both) for your time, I value your feedback. PMTS produces MA experts and you guys are proof. I will change the movements that you see as important (I agree), video the results and post them.

Slava,
The CB problem I had is recurrent and is a focus I must keep or I slip back into (a lack of) it on my right turn. This problem is linked to needing more flex and tip that Leo and you pointed out to me.

I don't gamble but if I did, I bet that on Epic it would take over one hundred BS posts until a accurate MV would show up. I get it here with no BS in THREE POSTS!

Thank you,

JR
Bolter

Postby jclayton » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:38 am

Great MA's ,
Leo , what's your background ? Your posts are always succinct .Have you been to some Hintertux camps ? Where do you like to ski in Europe ?
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby Bolter » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:09 pm

Here is the video of my skiing after the drills and focus given to me by Leo and Slava. Touch boot to flex, power release type movement and some rethinking on my part. I think it results in better skiing. I can build on this foundation. Let me know what you think.

JR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC565SxWFeE
Bolter

Postby h.harb » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:24 pm

Did you get my PM?
Hi Bolter,
Just saw your latest video. This is the first time I’ve seen you ski and I knew it was going to be good, definitely not PSIA or Epic.
Your skiing is very solid. There is no up CG move, or up leg extension movement and tipping is in place, all the other components are in place, CA and CB. Carving those size turns everything works. What are you looking for in your skiing from here forward? I can tell you are not really pushing yourself in these vids, what happens when you put in more arcs per vert drop?
h.harb

Postby Bolter » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:18 pm

h.harb wrote:Did you get my PM?
Hi Bolter,
Just saw your latest video. This is the first time I’ve seen you ski and I knew it was going to be good, definitely not PSIA or Epic.
Your skiing is very solid. There is no up CG move, or up leg extension movement and tipping is in place, all the other components are in place, CA and CB. Carving those size turns everything works. What are you looking for in your skiing from here forward? I can tell you are not really pushing yourself in these vids, what happens when you put in more arcs per vert drop?

Thank you Harald, I am very pleased that you watched my skiing. PMTS and your forum have helped me immeasurably. Leo and Slava pointed me in the right direction and confirmed how accurate MA can be when using your movement based system- PMTS. The boot touch exercise works, I should know because Team members who used extension early in the season changed their movements to bending through the use of this drill. I also changed my skiing early season using the ESSENTIAL drills but lost focus and went back to old less efficient moves during the season. The "Who is hiding?" thread made me seek out video and I am glad it did, I saw what needed improvement and Leo and SLAva helped me.

I am always looking to improve my carving and racing. BPSRT needs work- although I can ski all conditions I could always do better. I do not favor chopped up frozen bumps or the zipper line. For that matter who does? I am better in GS, I need SL work. We set SL every week but I do not get in enough. My SL turn on steep ice is weak and speed in SL makes it hard for me to manage the forces.

I will get some SL turns on video soon. I have a short clip (same hill, same day- BTW this hill is off camber, it tilts down to the skiers right) of more turns per vert drop and pushed a little.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj2USz3tiD4
Last edited by Bolter on Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bolter

Postby milesb » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:02 am

leopold bloom wrote:Hello Bolter,

. ...I see you flexing at the end of your turns but I suspect that you are resisting at the moment just before your release....
.....If you can identify this point of resistance and soften your legs to flex and tip right through it I think you will have some hot short radius turns.

- Leo

Leo, that's very impressive.
Bolter, just a comment, I really liked the way in the coral/crud clip your skis maintained their speed even though they turn pretty far across the fall line and are not really carving.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby h.harb » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:01 am

Leopold comment:
One difference I noticed (HH skiing) is that he lets his body cross his skis a lot more in transition with a vigorous flex and release motion. This allows him to develop early edge angles without much apparent effort.

Since I didn’t promote my own skiing in this thread, I guess it’s OK to reference someone else’s post about it?

When I said Bolter looked like he was not really pushing his turns this is what I was seeing, look at Leopold's comments below. Since I did not have Bolter's intent and his level of aggressiveness figured; I didn’t comment that quicker and more active flexing at release would help him to transition more quickly or faster, but it will.

Leopold Comments:
I see you flexing at the end of your turns but I suspect that you are resisting at the moment just before your release. This amounts to a bit of a push off into the next turn. It also blocks your body from crossing over your skis and getting the angles you want.

I totally agree, if you watch my relaxed carves on flat groomers you can see the same thing, a more passive release. There is nothing wrong with this, it's just less aggressive. Or Cruising.
h.harb

Postby Bolter » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:39 pm

I lost my video partner but got a little help today. Here are short carves on moderate blue, more arcs per vert drop. Yes it is raining but not hard! I will get some on steeper terrain soon. MA please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKYS2K9NgWA
Bolter

Postby milesb » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:53 pm

Is it my imagination or is there some "knee driving" going on in the bottom half of those turns?
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby h.harb » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:59 pm

Not as much knee driving as a little soft on the alignment on the right boot.
h.harb

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System