Drill questions.

PMTS Forum

Drill questions.

Postby skinoob » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:09 pm

Hi, please apologize if my questions are way way way off PMTS teaching.

I'm pretty much confused with Releasing exercises in the 2nd book, I've read some topics related to it but still have questions in mind.
In TFR, the video says that we have to wait for both skis to slide down the fall line, then start lifting the inside ski and tipping.
It works for me in green runs. I also put a car sponge between both feet to detect my tail separation. But when I tried it on steeper,
icier terrains, it's very hard to make turn small, I usually slide down further than where I place my pole. I think this is because,
the gravity pulled me down harder and I lifted and tipped the inside too late, however if I tip it too early, both skis still won't reach the fall line.

Haven't started seriously on the OFR, but as far as I see in the video, OFR should be easier on steeper terrain because the foot is lifted
before the fall line which makes the ski start to turn before it drops.

Questions are:
1. do I understand the them ?
2. To transform from TFR/OFR to short turns, in steep terrains we have to use OFR and switch to TFR when it's more flat ?
3. Or we can use TFR on steep terrain if we can minimize the fall line moment ?
4. Do we talk about high-c(i'm not sure what it is) in TFR ? Since we have to wait for the ski to come to the fall line, the tipping action will not occur in the high-c of the turn.
5. In TFR, should the stance leg grip the edge or should it slide (try to make it tip less than the inside foot), or we only focus on the inside foot and let it be passive ?

ty
read book, watch video, do drill !!!
skinoob

Re: Drill questions.

Postby milesb » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:35 pm

These are great questions. Hopefully I can be of some help.
TFR on steeper terrain- keep the stance leg flexed through the top of the turn, and pull the feet back hard (smoothly, don't jerk them). Make sure if you lift the free ski, you lift the tail. This will put you in a good position to control any speed you pickup (the fall line moment you mention), although if you do it correctly the acceleration will be minimal until you are on double blacks. Keep the free foot/leg tipping and flexing going as the turn finishes. I keep the stance foot relaxed, this keeps the edge from fully engaging, others may need to actually keep the stance ski flat. The only difference between the exercise and the turns are that the skis are already moving in the turns, making the balance easier. Add more early tipping and counterbalancing for a carved high C.
And always keep in mind, the TFR is primarily a balance exercise.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby Max_501 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:43 pm

On steeper stuff I like to tip more aggressively and earlier.
Max_501

Postby leopold bloom » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:29 am

Hello skinoob,

Confused about the Two Footed Release? You are not alone. I would like to clarify this subject for you but the best I can offer is this brief True or False test on the subject for which others (perhaps the man himself) could provide the answers.

1. The TFR is an exercise designed to improve the control of edge angles throughout the turn. T/F
2. Both skis should maintain the same angle to the snow at all times. T/F
3. This exercise is designed to address the inherent difficulty in tipping to the little toe edge. T/F
4. This exercise will help identify and correct all of these problems: opposed edges, stemming, leg steering or rotation, excessive tip lead, fore and aft imbalance. T/F
5. This exercise demonstrates how the skis can turn without active steering. T/F
6. This is an exercise directed at a particular set of skills, not a turning technique in and of itself. T/F
7. The mechanics of this exercise are applicable to, but not identical to the mechanics of a dynamic short radius turn such as a typical carved slalom turn. T/F
8. There are physical forces present in a dynamic turn that are not present in this exercise, so, one cannot expect a "literal translation" of this exercise into real skiing. T/F

- Leo
leopold bloom

Postby Max_501 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:42 am

When working on the release drills keep in mind they are are designed to teach a release rather than a turn. The primary goal of the TFR exercise is to teach a movement that will get the skis off one set of edges and onto the next is a smooth fashion with equal edge angles (needed for pow, crud, and bumps). The release is one very important component to building a BPST but you still need all of the other Essentials in place for a BPST.
Max_501

Postby skinoob » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:26 pm

thank you sir!! Getting answers from PMTS experts is much much better than building my own theories from the books and videos. There are times that I was drilling on the hill and really needed to see how it's correctly done by PMTS user, but as I looked around, ppl were skidding down the hill, the steeper, the more they skid.

I'll test all advices in this upcoming weekend.
skinoob

Postby trtaylor » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:39 pm

But when I tried it on steeper,icier terrains, it's very hard to make turn small, I usually slide down further than where I place my pole.

In addition to tipping, I'll bet you are not flexing enough. Flex twice as deep as you think you need to.
trtaylor

Postby A.L.E » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:21 pm

trtaylor wrote:
But when I tried it on steeper,icier terrains, it's very hard to make turn small, I usually slide down further than where I place my pole.

In addition to tipping, I'll bet you are not flexing enough. Flex twice as deep as you think you need to.

Absolutely agree, tipping without flexing is difficult to get right.

If you steer, twist and skid flexing is irrelevant, you can do it from any position.
A.L.E

Postby skinoob » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:10 am

A.L.E wrote:
trtaylor wrote:

Absolutely agree, tipping without flexing is difficult to get right.

If you steer, twist and skid flexing is irrelevant, you can do it from any position.

You guys must be right. I'll be serious on those essential flex drills this week and go back to test my TFR.
skinoob

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System