Help wih choice of rental ski for newbie to PMTS

PMTS Forum

Help wih choice of rental ski for newbie to PMTS

Postby Petter_F » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Hi again,

Am revving up for the upcoming (8 day) trip and have to book some rental skis. Of course I'll be able to change them when on-mountain but I need to make the initial request now.

So, I wouldn't mind some assistance in choosing what type of ski I should be looking at first, keeping in mind that I will be focusing greatly on the PMTS exersizes in books 1 & 2, which is totally new to me (have only read them and done some of the dryland stuff)

I am an advanced intermediate, having started skiing as an adult. Have skied 8-9 weeks in as many years with ESF type lessons, and even though I get down most blacks comfortably I don't do so with 'natural' style. I am locked into bad habits that are holding me back, basically skidding my turns. Weigh only 67kg (150lb) and am 6'1''.

I will be skiing in Niseko, Japan which is known for its abundant powder, so that has to be taken into account. I imagine I'll spend the first day or so doing only drills to start the PMTS ingraining process. Will of course jump into the pow incrementally after this.

I don't know what models they have but their classes are:

Carve skis, 30% powder 70% groomed (my guess <75mm)
Mid fat skis, 50% powder 50% groomed (my guess 75-85mm)
Fat skis 70% powder 30% groomed (my guess 85- 95mm)
Mega fat skis 90% powder 10% groomed (my guess 100+)

Or should I be looking for a certain radius?

Help is much appreciated, thanks,

Petter.
Last edited by Petter_F on Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Petter_F

Rental Skis in Niseko

Postby MonsterMan » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:46 pm

The western run shops don't seem to have carving skis in their demo ranges in Niseko. Everyone wants big fatties for the pow.

On our last trip there, once I convinced my brother to try the Supershapes, (he loved them), he tried to change rental skis but could find nothing narrow underfoot. Hence I never saw the new SS's again.

You might have luck at the Japanese shops for low end skinny skis but the language barrier will be fun if you don't have Japanese.

It sounds like you have a package including rental so this may not be an option. Maybe some of the base model beginner type skis would actually be better for the exercises than the fat demo types? Someone with more knowledge than me regarding equipment should answer this.

Sorry for the bad news, but alas most of the world is not enlightened regarding producing expert skiers.

hope this helps

Geoff
MonsterMan

Postby h.harb » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:06 pm

Sorry I haven't been to Japan in about 8 years, so your best advice is from Monsterman or others who ski there every year.
h.harb

Re: Rental Skis in Niseko

Postby Petter_F » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:57 am

MonsterMan wrote:It sounds like you have a package including rental so this may not be an option. Maybe some of the base model beginner type skis would actually be better for the exercises than the fat demo types?

Somehting weird was happening to the post where the post was cut short after writing a certain point. I have found the offending character so please read the post that now continues IN FULL below the horizontal line in the original post.

[Therefore MonsterMans reply may sound incomplete]

Maybe doesn't affect his opinion though where you recommend something skinny under foot.

Cheers.
Petter_F

Postby Petter_F » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:29 am

(see next message)
Last edited by Petter_F on Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Petter_F

Postby Petter_F » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:30 am

I just found a more complete list of the shops skis available. So once we get a catagory sorted I can probably choose the exact model from their list.

For example:

Carve Range (10% powder 90% groomed)
K2 - Crossfire
Salomon - Crossmax, Street Racer, Scrambler
Rossignol - Zenith Z1
Volkl - Super Sport
Atomic - Metron 11B5

Mid fats (30% powder 70% groomed)
Armada - AR5, T-hall, ARV
K2 - Enemy, Fugitive, Recon, Outlaw, Stryker
Salomon - Scream Pilot, Scream Limited, Hot, Scrambler 55, Scrambler 66, Scrambler 77, Foil
Zag - Freeride
Dynastar - Contact 10, Trouble Maker, Legend 8800
Fischer - ACM 73, ACM 76
Rossignol - Zenith Z5 oversize, 8x oversize, B2, Scratch FS, Scratch FS Pro
Volkl - Karma, Unlimited, Allstar, AC3, Dogin
Head - Monster, Monster 72, Monster 77
Stockli - Offroad
Elan - Magfire 8, Magfire 10, Magfire 12, M777

They did have less 'quality' but recommended this only to beginners.

Sorry for the flurry of info. Until the holiday I can only do my skiing on the net.

Cheers.
Petter_F

Postby Mac » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:18 am

If you have to go with a midfat, the iM 72 is a great all around ski that will do everything well. The Magfire 10 is also a blast to ski. Handles bumps and crud, and the tight sidecut can rip on the groomers. The most versatile ski I have ever been on.
Mac

Re-asking original question

Postby Petter_F » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:10 am

Okay, I'm not much wiser than when I started.

If I simplify my request by asking, how wide under foot could/should I go (and optimum ski length/ski radius), for someone who is an early advanced skier totally new to PMTS? I'll be renting.

I will only be skiing one week this year but will be focusing heavily on PMTS movements. The catch is that I am going to one of the worlds powder capitals so I still want to be able to enjoy the powder.

I am 6'1'' and weigh 67kg.

Thanks.
Petter_F

Postby Mac » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:18 am

So that would narrow your list down to the Atomic M11B5 and the Elan Magfire 10. Very similar dimensions, sidecut, and turn radius. Targeted to the advanced level skier. I have owned both, I much prefer the Mag 10. Your height tells me a 176, your weight says 168. I'm 6'1", 92kg, and I ski the 176. The shorter ski will be slightly easier to handle, the longer length will give you more float in the pow. If possible, try them both to be sure of the length. Good luck.
Mac

Postby Mac » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:22 am

And when you say the M11B5, I assume you mean the Metron series. Atomic also makes a cross ski with similar number and letter designations. Very confusing. If that's the case, don't even bother with it, just get the Mag 10. You won't be sorry.
Mac

Postby Petter_F » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:12 pm

Mac wrote:just get the Mag 10. You won't be sorry.

Thanks heaps for the pointers Mac!

I've read a few favorable reviews of the Mag 10 so seems like the go. I'd get the 168cm for the tighter radius (13.3m) so hopefully will be fine for my journey into PMTS.
Petter_F

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System