Video Advice

PMTS Forum

Video Advice

Postby ibMED » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:55 am

I'll be skiing next week and would like to capture some video to post. I have only a digital camera which can capture video. I'd appreciate any comments/advice on using that technique.
I can get a video camera which is not digital. What's involved in transferring tape to digital?
Any advice for shooting in bright snow background?
If you don't know where you're going, any ski turn will get you there!
ibMED

Postby SrMike » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:51 am

I can't speak to the digital camera which can shoot video because I don't have one. (Maybe Mason could jump in here, I think he uses one.) I have shot video with a camcorder though.

IMHO, the best camcorders for shooting video are the mini-DV cameras with a Fire-Wire (1394) interface. You want approximately 20X zoom and you definitely want anti-shake. Something with a good auto-focus really helps and if the camera has a memory chip, that is a plus too. I think we are using a Sony DCR HC-96. The Sony DCR HC-48 I think would work well too. Anything similar to these should work really well.

One trick in shooting video we have learned is to zoom in a lot more than you think you need to and try to just about fill the screen with the skier. Practice zooming out slowly at the skier approaches and zoom back in after they pass. It also helps if the skier doesn't get close, less than 30ft., to the camera man as they pass.

Have fun. The more you or your cameraman practice shooting video, the better you will get.
SrMike

Postby trtaylor » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:06 am

Generally, zooming while recording video is not an option for many/most digital point & shoot cameras.

You may want to reveiw this thread: http://www.realskiers.com/pmtsforum/vie ... ight=canon

Question: is Joseph planning to have his video camera with him next week?

Tim
trtaylor

Postby Tommi » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:08 am

I think a pocket size digital camera might be good enough. This was taken with a 200$ 5mpix pocket camera:

Medium radius arcs:
http://personal.inet.fi/perhe/antila/vi ... pieces.wmv

Ciao,

T2
Tommi

Postby ibMED » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:35 am

Sr.Mike, Tim and Tommi,
Thanks for the posts. As ususal the forum comes through on technical stuff. Tim, the link was great info. As a result, I'm borrowing a digital camera that can do zoom while capturing video, or, so my non-tech oriented daughter swears. If not, I'll use my own which is similar to what Tommi used.
Again ThanX
If you don't know where you're going, any ski turn will get you there!
ibMED

Postby MonsterMan » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:34 pm

20 x zoom
antishake
good lens
fire wire
small size
battery life
easy to use buttons

what else should I look for in a camcorder?
MonsterMan

Postby Tommi » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:28 am

Good list. I would add slo-mo play, it's useful for instant feedback. Of course after capturing the video to a laptop you could see it even frame-by-frame.

I bought an inexpensive panasonic NV-GS80, it does have all the features you list but not the slo-mo.

T2
Tommi

Canon S3 works nice.

Postby John Mason » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:40 am

You can zoom with the Canon S3 and it has optical image stabilization.

Most digital cameras that zoom during movies will be limited to 'digital' zoom rather than what you want which is 'optical' zoom. Digital zoom simply crops to lower resolution as you zoom. Optical zoom is the normal zoom in closer while maintaining full resolution.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons3is/

With 4gig cards on sale at places like Radio Shack for 27 dollars, there is not much reason to mess with tape anymore.

It's also got a great 12 to 1 zoom and an optical viewfinder. The electronic 'look on the back of the camera' viewfinders can be hard to use in bright sunlight.

I've used the S2 for a long time with nice results. The S3 is the newer version of the same camera.

If you are thinking about a different point and shoot for ski movies, just make sure you can take it back if you find out after the fact that you can't optically zoom during shooting. Almost none of them do. (despite what an ignorant sales person might say)

btw - Hi Everyone. I'm off to do Marathon 19 in Huntsville Alabama then Marathon 20 in Jacksonville FL the following weekend. (since Feb 07)

Then I'll be cutting back to do some skiing. Maybe the mystery poster HH was quoting recently about the new Head Boots and some others (Hobbit - you around) would be interested in a 3 dayer just ahead of Christmas.

Maybe I could use a "Raptor" like Christmas present :)
John Mason

Postby h.harb » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:29 am

Hi John,

We are all happy to have you back.

HH
h.harb

Postby Tommi » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:02 am

John,

I agree. For skiing evaluation it's so much easier and cost effective with the digital camera. But if one needs HD quality, then a dv-camcorder is great.

My friends made a kiteboarding video (my son is riding, too), here the quality difference can be seen. In this we have both and, VGA digital video taken with a still camera (mainly changed to B/W) and a 3CCD high quality hd-video camcorder. I've taken some of the clips on the video. Great toys!

http://www.karri3nen.com/videot/our_summer2007.wmv

(video is off topic and large but I think worth seeing)

T2
Tommi

Postby MonsterMan » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:18 pm

Hi Tommi, downloading your video now.

Are you suggesting lugging a bulky hd camcorder around the slopes?
MonsterMan

Postby Tommi » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:08 pm

Noup, I still think the best is a small pocket size digi-still camera capable of VGA video.

And btw, there are 3ccd hd cameras which are actually not so much bigger than for example the Canon S3.

T2
Tommi

Postby MonsterMan » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:55 pm

Mono-Pod from ski pole??

How useable would it be to set a threaded stud in the handle of a pole?

Too low?

Dangerous? plastic or rubber cover?

Anyone know the thread required?

Need a large lock-nut / knurled wheel

Geoff
MonsterMan

Re: Video Advice

Postby BobH » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:43 am

I was excited to post some turns for MA, but I'm having trouble putting the videos from the mini DVD onto my hard drive. Could somebody offer some advice.

I'm using windows media player and my operating system is XP Pro. I've been able to save video from on-line sources, and I am able to play back my DVD with Media Player, but I am having problems when I try to RIP video from my DVD.

Could it be that I only have the capability to RIP audio.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking forward to getting MA feedback.

Thanks, Bob
BobH

Re: Video Advice

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:27 am

BobH wrote:I was excited to post some turns for MA, but I'm having trouble putting the videos from the mini DVD onto my hard drive. Could somebody offer some advice.

I'm using windows media player and my operating system is XP Pro. I've been able to save video from on-line sources, and I am able to play back my DVD with Media Player, but I am having problems when I try to RIP video from my DVD.

Could it be that I only have the capability to RIP audio.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking forward to getting MA feedback.

Thanks, Bob

Media player will not rip video from a camera. I am not familiar with how DVD cameras work in terms of transferring the data. It may be that all you need to do is transfer the video files from the DVD to the computer. In the case of my MiniDV I have to capture the video using a different program. The program I use is provided with Windows and is call "Windows Movie Maker." Try connecting to your camera via windows movie maker or via windows explorer and see if you can either capture the video using the program, or directly transfer the files from the DVD to your hard drive.

Later

Greg
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System