Tuning the Edge

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Tuning the Edge

Postby Bob » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:14 am

I've got a question on beveling the ski edges.

My wife purchased a pair of Head Hot Thangs last year and felt much better grip when her old Rossi B1w's.

When I brought them to the shop this week for a binding check and tune-up , the tech said that her ski called for a 0 base edge and a 1 degree side bevel.

My question is this, would a 1 base 2-3 side bevel like I have on my Atomic C9's help her carve better or is the ski indead designed for a 0 base 1 degree side bevel??

We ski in the northeast and she's doing well on groomed blues, and some blacks.( although the "blacks at many of the Mt I've skied at in MA, VT and ME, don't have the same pitch as CO, UT blacks.)

Thanks for the help. Bob
Laugh in the sunshine....sleep in the stars.
Bob

Postby SrMike » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:36 pm

Bob, I believe most Head skis come with a 1 degree base bevel and a 2 degree side. That's where I would start. My daughter has Cool Thangs, which came 1 base, 2 side, and I just did a touch up on the 2 degree side on hers.

I would think that a 0 degree base bevel could make the skis difficult to ski. Even in eastern conditions I don't think I would go with less than .5 on the base. My Supershapes are 1 and 3. When I need to get the bases ground I will try .5 and 3.
SrMike

Postby Icanski » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:55 am

HOw do you know what the skis come with? It's not printed on the ski, there are no papers that recommend angles when you buy one. Is it a matter of trying to figure out with a truing bar whether it's a .5 or 1 degree angle? not very easy. I think ski companies should make this information available, at least as what the factory preset recommendations are.
I have SS and assume they are the 1 by 3 you mention. How did you find this out?
thanks,
Icanski
Icanski

Postby SrMike » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:33 pm

Icanski wrote:How do you know what the skis come with? It's not printed on the ski, there are no papers that recommend angles when you buy one. Is it a matter of trying to figure out with a truing bar whether it's a .5 or 1 degree angle? not very easy. I think ski companies should make this information available, at least as what the factory preset recommendations are.
I have SS and assume they are the 1 by 3 you mention. How did you find this out?
thanks,
Icanski

Simple. Use a black sharpie on the edge and use a 600 stone in the guide and see if it touches the whole edge. If it does you found the edge angle. On the base, start at .5, then 1.0, etc. On the side start at 1 and work up. Go easy when you do this as you are not trying to change anything.

Actually, I think my SuperShapes came ~1 & ~1. They were really all over the place. The bases were good, so I took the sides to 3. When I get mine base ground I will probably try .5 on the base. I can always increase the base if I don't like it. Can't go the other way without a base grind.

YMMV
SrMike

Postby Icanski » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:38 am

HI
I thought I'd just call up Head Canada and see what they said: I got two calls back, one saying they came with base .8 and side 1, then I got another message from someone else that said they should be base 1, and 1.3 on the side.
I've only seen edge file guides in .5 increments or 1 degree increments; never .3 or 1.8...
I thought the SS were sharper than that but perhaps with the sidecut they don't need to be.
Icanski
Icanski

Postby Icanski » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:25 pm

Hi
I heard back from HEAD's customer service rep today and she said that the SS come from the factory with a .8 base bevel and 1 degree side bevel.
Now I don't know how I'd file a .8 base, so I'd probably go to a 1 degree base angle.
Icanski
Icanski

Postby ZOG » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:30 pm

http://www.tognar.com/edge_tips_file_be ... html#angle

Bevel Angle Recommendations

SUGGESTED SKI BEVEL RECOMMENDATIONS - Alpine & Telemark
Skier Base Bevel Side Bevel
Novice/Intermediate 1 degree 1 degree
Advanced All-Mountain 1 2
Expert All-Mountain 3/4 - 1 2 - 3
Slalom Racer 0 - 1/2 3 - 4
GS Racer 1/2 - 3/4 2 - 3