Developing kids

PMTS Forum

Developing kids

Postby 4Slide » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:41 am

I've searched and seen some posts addressing starting kids out with PMTS instruction, but seen nothing addressing what to do after they reach a certain level of ability. In my situation, I've got a 7-year old who already can ski reasonably well arc to arc on blue runs, and on what are rated black runs for the main Catskill resorts tends to resort to pivoting around blocking pole plants, with a skidded finish to the turn. She's starting a race program (training portion only, no travel) this year and I'm hopeful that in addition to the social aspect she'll get good technical instruction too. I have seen some of the race kids getting drilled on ultra-wide stances, but without knowing the context have no way of knowing whether this is something being taught as a prescriptive norm or simply as a drill. Best-case scenario, it turns out she gets great technical instruction in the race program and there are no worries. Plus, she's already at the point where getting any input from Dad is fraught with several perils. But, worst-case scenario, if the program turns out to be a two-footed widestance type of approach that's potentially ingraining bad habits, how would you go about addressing the further technical development of a kid in this situation?
-J
4Slide

Postby Harald » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:25 am

There are many small race programs that still adhere to incorrect development and poor understanding of what young skiers need. This unfortunately is the more common situation.

My suggestion is to appeal to your daughter?s logic and use challenges on the snow that appeal to a higher level or sense of balance. Bring her to the realization that more weight on the outside ski makes the ski hold. Weight to the inside is stable, but not efficient or fast. These principles are solid physical concepts and kids are open to what makes sense.

I instructed my son very early on to recognize the difference between a wide stance and a balanced body. I showed him the difference in ski tracks where skis were skidding and carving. Harrison doesn?t listen to me because I?m his father, he responded to reason and logic. The problem you will run into is that the coaches will be bugging constantly and instructing the wrong stuff. This will eventually become either annoying to your daughter or she will just give up fighting it and become a member of the team. Harrison?s way of dealing with it was to change sports, because the ski coaching was so bad. It?s a double edged sword, knowing more then the coaches.

Ski racing and high level skiing is a game or a competition ultimately of balance, not technique. Yes technique to begin with, but you have to challenge technique and that's when balance or lack of it comes into play. PMTS is always striving to challenge skiers by raising their level of balance. Where as other systems look for a way to have skiers survive and degrade balance in the process. Balance can be improved and taught.

Use the Expert Skier books and DVDs to pull out skiing exercises and situations that she can't yet accomplish. Challenge her by letting her know that the best kids in the state or country can do the advanced exercises. If she has a competitive nature and understands balancing and carving, she will find her own position on her skis rather than having someone dictate those positions.

The main thing at first is not to get too technical, use images and exercises that introduce skiing experiences. It won?t be easy. The best thing you can do is find a role model, someone she likes, who skis really well and have her follow that skier. I did that for years, as coaching was non existent when I was a kid. I just found the best skiers on the slopes and followed them until I could do what they did.
"Maximum Skiing information, Minimum BS
Harald

Re: Developing kids

Postby Max_501 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:14 am

Catskills wrote:I've searched and seen some posts addressing starting kids out with PMTS instruction, but seen nothing addressing what to do after they reach a certain level of ability.

I don't teach my kids any different than I teach myself. We work on the exercises in the books/dvds and improve our skiing. When I'm skiing with my kids my goal is to spend 1-2 hours each day doing drills (I'd actually like it to be half the day but they don't have the attention span for that). Regardless of our ability levels I don't see this changing. Those drills emphasize proper fundamentals and fundamentals are required for expert skiing and racing.

Catskills wrote:In my situation, I've got a 7-year old who already can ski reasonably well arc to arc on blue runs, and on what are rated black runs for the main Catskill resorts tends to resort to pivoting around blocking pole plants, with a skidded finish to the turn.

Have you identified what changes in her skiing when she hits the black runs? This is important to figure out and correct. In a racing program they will ski fast on relatively steep runs. If you don't address technique problems they will resort to improper movements that become bad habits that can be difficult to break at a later date.

Catskills wrote:She's starting a race program (training portion only, no travel) this year and I'm hopeful that in addition to the social aspect she'll get good technical instruction too.

My kids have participated in race programs from two different mountains (both fairly well respected) and the technical instruction has varied quite a bit. Even from coach to coach on the same team. The good coaches are usually very good. The not so good, well...

Catskills wrote:But, worst-case scenario, if the program turns out to be a two-footed widestance type of approach that's potentially ingraining bad habits, how would you go about addressing the further technical development of a kid in this situation.

The wide stance issue is a great example. In that case my son just smiles and says "OK" whenever the coaches tell him to get wider, but he doesn't change his stance. As Harald pointed out, if you teach your kids the logic behind the technique they are more likely to embrace it (rather than, "My dad says so"). My experience is that they will end up with a mix of what they learn during race training and what they have learned from you. If there is a conflict you'll need to help her with that. If you don't know which is the correct approach as it applies to racing ask here.

Harald's suggestion about finding a role model is spot on. Works wonders if its someone the kids look up to.
Max_501

Postby 4Slide » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:08 am

Thanks for the great input!

Max, on black runs she basically last year did not seem as confident in being able to use the shape of the turn itself to control speed, and so would resort to the blocking pole plant/pivot/skid approach. By the end of the year, she would be able to do larger-radius turns, once halfway down the steeper portions of black runs, which were semi-carved but where the ski would really hook up only in the bottom portion of the turn. She would wait until about 4-5 big turns away from where the steeper section transitioned to what was basically a blue run, I think because this gave her a visual "out" where she knew the pitch would change. She also ironically seemed to ski better on narrower trails rather than wider.

I'll keep up with the drills, be sure to go through the logic of the narrow stance and using the outside ski with her, and post up here with questions that arise through the course of the year. We already have experience with smiling and then doing our own thing for grade-school math, no reason we can't do it on the snow:)

Thanks again!
-J
4Slide

Postby fredm8 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:42 am

Harald wrote:I instructed my son very early on to recognize the difference between a wide stance and a balanced body. I showed him the difference in ski tracks where skis were skidding and carving. Harrison doesn?t listen to me because I?m his father, he responded to reason and logic. The problem you will run into is that the coaches will be bugging constantly and instructing the wrong stuff.

Harald, I have had my 9 yr old son on the mountain for 4 days this southern winter, plus 2 sessions at the indoor slope in Auckland.
He can now parallel turn on the green & blue runs, thanks to spending the time with an instructor or two. Just from reading your comments I know what skills I should be trying to encourage him to develop. Thanks. I had the same problem about him listening too.
Douglas

From the land of the long white cloud, a land down under.
fredm8

Re: Developing kids

Postby aine » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:08 am

[/vimeo]Hi I am new to the forum and facinated by PMTS as I learned to ski as an adult and "the hard way".
My 4 yr old started off on skis this year. His first attempts on baby slopes were surprisingly parallel (he was just following his dad )
Then he did a weeks ski school (Christmas) and another in February where he was already in a group with 7-8 yr olds and unfortunately skiing wedge.....
After skiing again with his dad he is now skiing parallel on red and easy black slopes (switzerland). I have no idea how to teach skiing but it seems kids learn really well by just copying the skier in front.
i will have to get a video up here but havent figured out how to do that yet.
Aine
aine

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System