Harb carvers

PMTS Forum

Harb carvers

Postby sailfast » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:11 pm

Hi all,

I am new to PMTS, but did attend the Hintertux camp with Harald and Diana. It was a revelation and a great learning experience. I also fell in love with Tyrol and Austria.

Among other things, I had a terrible time getting the required angulation to really tip the skis on edge. My videos were most revealing :( Made lots of improvement over the week, but I need some further work on tipping onto edges and getting the right amount of angulation. So I thought I'd work on that with a pair of Harb Carvers. But which one to get? I'm leaning towards the Pro. There are not too many hills where I live (Southern Massachusetts, near Cape Cod) so I will need to be able to skate with them. Any advice?

Thanks,

Bert
sailfast

Postby milesb » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:25 pm

Being a mediocre hack, I can't really give you meaningful advice. But I can tell you what I understand about this. First of all, I assume that when you say angulation you are talking about counterbalancing. If you are balanced on the stance ski, your upper body will naturally counterbalance to some extent during the last 1/2 of a turn, because the turn forces will help drive your upper body to the outside of the turn. In the first part of the turn, those forces are rarely present so the counterbalancing needs to be an active and often powerful move. But as Harald warns, this move is not a primary move, it is in response to the tipping of the free foot. So don't move your upper body first then try to get your feet to match, it's the other way around. As you get used to it it will become more simultaneous. I have to be careful to not get in the backseat while doing this, but it may not be such an issue for others.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby Harald » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:00 pm

Yes, the Harb Carvers can make a huge difference in your tipping and counter balancing ability and learning. During our the Mt Hood race camp we did Carving sessions (when it wasn't raining) in the afternoon. Jesse, who was having difficulty co-ordinating his upper lower body movements spent the afternoon working on tipping and counter balancing on the Carvers.

The results translated to his skiing the very next day. We were very impressed with his dedication. You do have to have some sense of your movements and the new ones you are trying to develop. If you can have someone video your Carver sessions it would be very helpful.
"Maximum Skiing information, Minimum BS
Harald

Harb Carvers

Postby sailfast » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:39 pm

Hi Harald,

Thanks for the input. I see you and Diana have been real busy since Hintertux. The experience is still fresh in our minds. Both Catherine and I had a most wonderful time and will do everything in our power to return next year. We may also attend one of the Colorado camps this winter. I am bound and determined to become a human "Harb Carver" :lol:

I know that the Carvers will improve my tipping and couterbalancing - that is why I want to get them. The question in my original post was which one to get? I am leaning towards the Pro, but you know my skiing so which one would you advise?

Thanks and hope to see you again soon,

Bert
sailfast

Postby Harald » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:54 pm

Hi Bert,

Sorry I'm so slow, I'm setting up a new computer and e-mail so I'm messed up for a few days.

I think the Pro carvers are the ticket. They do the same thing as the Comps, except they are slightly, which is fine but they tip easier which is also good for improving and feeling foot movements.

Best to you both I hope the boating season is treating you well. And remember to Sailfast.

Harald
Harald

Postby sailfast » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:51 am

Thanks Harald, I'll go with the Pros.

Hope to see you and Diana this season with much improved skiing :D Catherine is hoping to get fitted for new boots at your place in Colorado in early August. Then off to camp we'll go (I hope).

Best to you and Diana,

Bert
sailfast

Postby Harald » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:31 pm

Here is a post from the equipment forum that I thought others would find interesting.
HH

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:58 am Post subject: HARB CARVERS ARE AWESOME

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comp model delivered from the states to edinburgh super quick and well packed - fitted boots easy with clear instructions.

I skated at my local roller disco as a kid plus currently training for my EURO TEST (European GS test for instructors to get to top level) so was pleased to find that in my first hour session I was carving turns down a shallow hill - what a feeling.

Initially I wasn't tilting inside foot enough, but got it wired in couple of runs.

These things are amazing at allowing you to tune into development focus areas - for me continuing to work with symmetry, especially feet to knees + increasing angulation "pinch at the hips" + keeping torso facing downhill + better forward initiation and higher hand carriage (on uphill side).

Brilliant, can't wait to find steeper, smoother hills and get some cones out....and that's only after an hour!!!

Just wish I had invented them instead of a ski trivia game

Nice one Harb you've cracked my problem of not having enough snow time to practice technique -

Harald

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System