A-Basin Camp

PMTS Forum

A-Basin Camp

Postby Ourayite » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:48 pm

Got back from the A-Basin camp last night and just wanted to write and thank Harald and Diana for a great time. Just like last year, I made some serious progress in my skiing. Met some great people as well and it is just a pleasure to ski with others who are really serious about becoming better skiers.

Also want to thank Rich for the boot tweaking. Two degree cant and the left leg problems are gone. Boots now fit like a glove as well!

Can't wait for next years camp and another shot of Kool-Aid. :)

Thanks!

Don
Ourayite

Postby Harald » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:32 am

I Drink the Kool-Aid
PMTS skier

Bumper stickers for next season.
"Maximum Skiing information, Minimum BS
Harald

Postby idahorob » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:54 am

Okay, another newbie question -- what does "Kool-Aid" mean?
No matter where you go, there you are.
idahorob

Postby dewdman42 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:13 pm

Harld, I think that's a great idea..the sticker..

http://www.wordspy.com/words/drinktheKool-Aid.asp
dewdman42

What Flavor do you want?

Postby midwif » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:21 pm

It is derogatory term used on epic ski denoting followers of PMTS technique. It refers to that cult (I forget the name, leader was something Jones) who committed mass suicide of about 800 men, women and children by drinking poisoned Kool Aid. It is meant to indicate that those who follow HH teaching of technique to be blindly following a guru without question.
Since most everyone who posts here is a thinking individual with a developed sense of humor, they have embraced the ridiculousness of the kool aid epithet and taken it to the next level-grape or cherry?
midwif

dumot skunk works

Postby John Mason » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:38 pm

Pierre explained the meaning of kool-aid in ohio a couple of weeks ago. He let me borrow his ski-coach. What fun to make it clack. Very useful.

Another term that originated as an insult on Epic we like here is "Dumont Skunk Works" refering to the wonderful alignment shop in Dumont.

I think some t-shirts with that would be great!

"Aligned and Drinking Kool-aid

at the

Dumont Skunk Works!"

I'd buy one
John Mason

Postby midwif » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:48 pm

Where can I sign up to buy one? How about fleece gaiters with embroidered " Dumont Skunk Works"? It would be a conversation starter on many a quad.
Lynn
midwif

Postby DA » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:53 pm

Like Don, I enjoyed the A-Basin camp immensely. Harald and Diana are the best! Both of them are fantastic skiers...probably the best I've ever seen. I was particularly impressed with their work ethic. It's approaching the end of the season here in Colorado (they must of skied 100+ days) but they were usually the first ones on the lift and the last ones off. After skiing all day they are in the Skunk Works tweaking boots, skis, etc. Impressive.

HH and Diana work great together as a team. It is apparent they work hard to help their clients improve and do this primarily for the satisfaction they get from helping others.

One caveat...this camp was a humbling experience for me. I have been skiing for almost 30 years and thought I knew what I was doing. NOT! I've read the books and watched the DVD's and thought I was using PMTS. NOT! As Paul likes to say you feel like such a hack after skiing with these guys. There is so much to learn and so many ways to improve. However, I'm confident I will significantly improve my skiing if I make the changes HH and Diana recommended. I'm looking forward to the next camp and the Kool-Aid tastes great!
DA

Postby Harald » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:58 pm

Doug thanks for the post about camp, but you are too hard on yourself. You are a talented skier. Your skiing movements (really one in particular) are a result of habit, not ability.

Sometime ago you must have lapsed into upper body and hip following and that became a strong turning force. You have good control over it now in the larger turns. The next step is to loosen the hips and allow for countering actions in short turns. When practicing and learning this movement, you need at first to be very aware of the hip shift to the new countered relationship. I just skied with a skier who learned this in three days. It takes concerted effort and concentration, but the rewards are worth it. Good luck, HH
"Maximum Skiing information, Minimum BS
Harald

Postby DA » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:33 pm

Harald,
Thanks for the valuable feedback. I'll be working on the hips this weekend and let you know how it goes. Wishing you continued success.

Best regards,
Doug
DA

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System