Harald, Weighted Release Question

PMTS Forum

Harald, Weighted Release Question

Postby davidpjr » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:33 am

Harald,

I'm still having trouble with that weighted release. Rolling over to that downhill LTE is the problem. I know you are only on the LTE for a split second but it is like I get frozen on the flat ski and cannot rollover to the LTE as I don't know what to do with my body so as not to fall over downhill.

Do I go with the ULB and get the hip down the hill, sort of that upside down mode?

If tipping is first and the hip motion or rest of the body then follows, then I'd have to commit to that LTE and then better get upside down pretty fast or I will fall over.

It is that coordination between trying to roll to the LTE and how to deal with the rest of my body at the same time that is causing the problem.

I keep wanting to stand up straight on the downhill ski, and lean over. Something is just not working.

David Pennington
david pennington
davidpjr

Postby Max_501 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:44 am

I start the weighted release by releasing the old turn by flexing (relaxing) the outside leg. But instead of transfering balance (weight) to inside leg I keep it on the flexed outside leg. Right after releasing I tip the outide leg and then allow my body to follow the tipping which brings my CM across the outside ski (which then becomes the inside ski). I then weight the new outside leg and finish the turn.

It does take quite a bit of practice to get this working so it feels good. I find that a few runs of weighted releases smooths out my turns for the rest of the day.
Max_501

Re: Harald, Weighted Release Question

Postby Max_501 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:38 am

davidpjr wrote:I know you are only on the LTE for a split second but it is like I get frozen on the flat ski and cannot rollover to the LTE as I don't know what to do with my body so as not to fall over downhill.

Have you tried the one footed skiing drills? In that drill you won't rush to get the weight off of the LTE and you are forced to flex the leg to release so perhaps that will help you with getting from BTE to LTE smoothly.

You could also be fighting an alignment problem.
Max_501

Postby milesb » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:32 pm

This is best learned on narrow waisted skis. Also, the weighted release will not work well from a backseat position, so make sure that is not a problem. One more thing, try going faster with higher edge angles when learning this.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby Harald » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:14 pm

The weighted release should come easily if your previous turn has been effective in creating energy and rebound. By pulling the stance leg knee toward the chest to reduce pressure quickly, you can initiate the movement of releasing. Let the body move toward the stance boot and little toe edge, when the ski begins to un-tip. The hips must move over the skis, so don?t absorb all the energy from the last turn with your stance leg. Let that energy pull or take the body across the skis, while the leg is bending. The more you bend and absorb after the initial reduction of pressure on the skis the less WR effect you will achieve. Timing is important, your flexing action can not take more then two tenths of a second.

Allow your whole body to move with the un-tipping ski. The releasing stance ski has to un-tip to get to the new LTE. Allow the hips and upper body to move toward the direction of the tipping ski. This is lateral direction, not the direction toward the tips of the skis. You should be fairly centered over your skis in the moment of release. If you are back on your skis or if your feet are jetting, your weighted release will be very dangerous.

The skis should not change direction until the new little toe edge is engaged. Your body will be upside down at this point.

Other then that I can only tell you to let the weighted release come to you, don?t force it. If you want to experience it immediately, take out a very shaped ski and ski with only one ski on one foot. Make dynamic turns in both directions. You will have to use a WR on the big toe to little toe release.

If you have strong un-weighting of the stance ski with a Phantom type move, you will have to reverse the action as the WR is the opposite of the PM.

When you are ready, your body will relax at the right time and you will make the right balancing movements to create the weighted release.
"Maximum Skiing information, Minimum BS
Harald

weighted release

Postby davidpjr » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:08 pm

Harald,

I think I finally felt it. I seemed to move into the next turn with such a seamless flow that it was scary. Also, the speed was crazy fast, like I was floating.

But, it took commitment which is not easy when the slope gets steep or icy. More work required for sure.

Thanks very much.
Dave
david pennington
davidpjr

the move

Postby Heyoka » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:19 am

Good morning David,

Rolling over to the LTE is the holy grail of skiing. Call it falling downhill, releasing, letting go, relaxing -- pick one. It's the one move that truly separates great skiers from the rest.

Prior to PMTS, great skiers did this...because they have mad genes. Even the skiers who could've accomplished this move couldn't, because there wasn't any training to get there. So, they got good at...the wrong moves. Racers did it, but no one really knew how.

The first day I saw Harald, he had this move. Then, I knew he could teach it to me. I've been working on this move since.

So just make sure you're understanding all the components of getting to this move; the feet, the upper body. I work on the balancing stuff each time I ski now, throughout the day. I believe you'll get to where you want to go by balancing better.

Have a good one, I'm off to the Beav now.
Ski like Hell, go to Heaven
Heyoka

weighted release

Postby davidpjr » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:00 pm

Thanks all for the tips.

Just got back from Big Mountain and Fernie. I had no idea Fernie was such an awesome place. Too bad it is not closer to Texas.
david pennington
davidpjr

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System