Smit Turbo Goggles

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Smit Turbo Goggles

Postby jbotti » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:22 pm

I have consistently had some problems on big snow days in Tahoe with my goggles fogging up. It seems that I am fine until I start to sweat. Once any perspiration builds up in the lense it is party over and this has curtailed my visiblity (and fun) on big pow days. The upside is that I have learned to ski by brail.

When I was with Heyoka in Utah he showed me his Smith Turbo Goggles whcih are made to be worn over glasses. They have a fan in them that when running elimanates all fogging. I wear contacts and I was a little concerned that the fan would dry them out.

I went to ski in 3 feet of fresh Tahoe snow (and it was light and fluffy for a change) on Friday. I can now say unequivicably that this is the best $130 that I have ever spent on equipment. Everyone I was with had a fogging problem at some point in the day. I had none. I kept the fan on low the whole day and never had an issue. I also had a high speed to go to if i ran into trouble. Even better, it comes in a rose shade which I find to be the best in flat light.

This product is just plain a home run. If you ever fog, buy these and say goodbye to the issue. For those that see big dumps of fresh snow often (Tahoe and Utah) for many these are the difference between enjoying a full day of fresh pow vs. only enjoying the first half of the day. JB.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Smith Turbos

Postby daveosborne » Sun May 14, 2006 9:24 am

I've also been using these goggles and find them excellent, not just in their defogging but also in their lenses, which handle light wonderfully. I use three of the changeable lenses - copper rose for bright days, sensor for overcast and fog, and clear for night skiing.

If I lost these, I'd order another set immediately.
daveosborne

Use ebay

Postby Magyar » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:15 pm

I just got a pair. They look good. If you put a saved search out on ebay they seem to pop up fairly regularly at a very good price. Got mine for about $60. Much better than $100++. Look for a good feedback record before you buy.
Magyar

Postby Icanski » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:07 pm

I found some Smith Prodigy turbo at the big ski show. They aren't cheap, that's for sure, but the little fan is pretty cool. This year they only use one battery instead of three, and I'm told by Smith, that they've improved them somehow. We shall see...I hope...
reports to come later...
Icanski
Icanski

Return to Gear