phantom edging

PMTS Forum

phantom edging

Postby codyblank » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:55 pm

Hello, everytime I try to do the phantom edging, I feel unbalanced espcially at faster speeds I also feel as though it is harder to turn with the phantom edging. I think what might help is to spread my arms for lateral balance.Can someone give me some instruction relating to this problem.

Thanks
CB
codyblank

Postby François » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:38 pm

HI Cody,
It's not my "move" so I may be completely wrong.

However, my guess is that you are one of the people who follows instruction to the letter and doesn't take things for granted. The phantom move is designed to "unbalance" you and MAKE you lean into the turn, on the inside edge of your outside ski of course. It would seem that some people can't deliberately do that; the "move" uses biomechanics "kinetic chain" to make them do just that without knowing what they are doing. Maybe YOU should actually think of it as a way of balancing on the edge.
François

Postby Ourayite » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:45 pm

codyblank,

There are certainly others here who can provide better advice, but I will do my best.

Do you have the any of the PMTS books? The basic drills in the first book can really help to reveal problems, whether they be equipment problems or just problems with technique.

One drill to try:

Stand on a gentle slope, and then traverse across the slope standing on one ski, you will find that some counterbalance is necessary to stay upright. (Bending the upper body at the hips downhill). Are you able to pick a target and track directly towards it on each ski? If you cannot do this then you may have some issues with equipment that need to be addressed.

Other thoughts: Counter-balance - What are you doing with your upper body when turning at speed? Try tipping at the waist to the outside of the turn and see what happens?

It would also be helpful if you could tell us what level of skier you are, what skis you are using, and whether you have had any alignment work done, footbeds, etc.

Don
Ourayite

Postby Ken » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:56 pm

Cody,
Stand at home with your feet walking distance apart. Lift one foot and tilt it to the little toe edge. Make yourself bowlegged. You'll fall over to that side unless something catches you. While skiing centrifugal force prevents your fall as you tilt over and consequently edge your skis.

Are your boots a snug fit? Loose fitting boots may be a big part of your problem.

Ken
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby codyblank » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:11 pm

thanks
codyblank

Postby Max_501 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:56 pm

Ken wrote:Stand at home with your feet walking distance apart. Lift one foot and tilt it to the little toe edge. Make yourself bowlegged. You'll fall over to that side unless something catches you.

Some people will rebalance on their weighted foot (leaning away from the tipping) so they do not fall when they tilt their free foot. So, the home test doesn't always work well because it may cause you to lean in the opposite direction of where you need to go when on skis.
Last edited by Max_501 on Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Max_501

Re: phantom edging

Postby Pierre » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:02 pm

codyblank wrote:Hello, everytime I try to do the phantom edging, I feel unbalanced espcially at faster speeds I also feel as though it is harder to turn with the phantom edging. I think what might help is to spread my arms for lateral balance.Can someone give me some instruction relating to this problem.

Thanks
CB
Cody the Phantom move is really a series of three movements that unless all three are present will put the skier out of balance. Tipping the inside foot, keeping it light and keeping the free heel pulled in towards the stance foot.

The last movement, keeping the free heel pulled in towards the stance foot is commonly missed by skiers reading the book. This is an unusual movement that is completely different from anything in normal ski instruction. This movement appears to have a tremendous steadying effect on the inside ski and body core. Its not natural and when left out will leave the skier feeling disconnected.

I hope this helps.
Pierre

Postby codyblank » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:31 pm

i am intermediate that can sometimes be comfortable on black slopes, i have rossignol actys 100 skis, salomon performa 5 boots and have the 2nd Anyone Can Be an Expert Skier Book and DVD. hope this helps
codyblank

Postby Ken » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:03 pm

Cody,
A poor analogy is the feeling we forget about when riding a bicycle and leaning in order to turn. We'd feel unbalanced except the bike turns and centrifugal force combined with gravity provides the balance.

When skiing, there are times when we unbalance in somewhat the same way and the same forces restore the balance.

Try the phantom move on easy terrain. It can, and should, be done for every turn...approach the lift line, getting off the lift and turning left or right to the place you stop to put your pole straps on, etc. Do the phantom move so many times on easy terrain that you stop thinking about it. When the move unbalances you your skis turn and you are immediately rebalanced. In a short time you will feel no unbalance at all.

When trying the move on difficult terrain, you need to accept the feeling of not being over your skis, and be confident that your skis will come under you to balance you. It'll happen, but you can work up to it by starting on easy terrain.

Ken
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby codyblank » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:30 am

Thanks Ken, and I appreciate you for fighting Global Warming.
codyblank

Postby codyblank » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:09 pm

Also when I do the phantom move my inside knee moves away from my outside ski, is this normal? Thanks Cody
codyblank

yes

Postby John Mason » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:22 pm

yes - the knee opens up - the body trys to rebalance which by matching edging - especially if the hips are kept in tension a bit

That little moment of bowleggedness when the phantom is just starting to be initiated is a sign you're tipping well.
John Mason

Postby codyblank » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:27 pm

thanks very much. i appreciate that.
codyblank

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System