Harb Carvers and Fore-Aft stability

PMTS Forum

Harb Carvers and Fore-Aft stability

Postby piggyslayer » Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:29 pm

The web site indicates that the base slalom model has good fore-aft stability.
Is the pro model less fore-aft stable (I was indending to get the pro model)?

Following HH advice in the ?Speed Control on pure carving? I have worked on having my skis continue across the fall line while body moves down the fall line over the skis after the release. The sensations such turns produce are great (THANKS for this post). But I cannot do these on demand, on the first run.
I wanted to practice these movements over the spring/fall on the carvers.
If I understand Harald comment in the same thread, this is much harder on carvers, ?there is less lever you can't let the Carvers out front from under the body as far as you can skis?.

Would that mean that to protect my butt I should get slalom model, which has best fore-aft stability?

Thanks for the advice.

Piggyslayer.
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

Postby hh » Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:05 pm

The slalom model is more predictable, as the wheels are slower and they work well on flatter terrain. The Pro model is between the slalom and the comp. The comp requires more slope therefore it is fast. It rolls with less friction even on flatter slopes. We have not seen rearward falls as yet. We have observed beginners on the different models and they all respond by saying the Carvers are easier to balance on than inline skates. Someone is bound to land on their rear. Make sure you are wearing a helmet, elbow pads and wrist gaurds for all of these types of activities. There are paded pants available for roller hockey and other hard floor sports, if you are worried about hip or rear end contact with the surface, use them This is a relatively safe sport, if you protect yourself properly and if you begin by taking it to a flat, open area to learn control and stopping.
hh

Postby piggyslayer » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:23 am

Harald, I have been making turns on inline skates for many years. But I never experimented with the fore-aft balance letting the skates move from under me (or at least when I did I was sorry afterwards as the room to play there is very small).
Are you saying that it is possible to do that no matter which model I get, and I get more fore-aft stability than typical inline skate? If so this is great!

Piggyslayer
Piggy Slayer
let the piggy breathe
piggyslayer

Postby tommy » Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:32 am

I just spent my first day of this season on my inlines.

It was quite interesting to notice that the first few minutes, I really had to focus on my fore/aft balance, particularly when coasting with slow speeds. I had a tendency to be somewhat in the back seat.

It seems that inlines reveal potential problems with fore/aft balance quite quickly; the "sweet spot" seems to be much smaller, and doesn't allow for much back seat driving.

It was also amazing to see how quickly the body adjusted and corrected this tendency; after some 10min of various exercises I felt almost like when I finished last season.

I'd be curious in your opinions on whether you would consider inlines as a way to discover fore/aft problems.

Cheers,
Tommy
tommy

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System