Is this in the PMTS media?

PMTS Forum

Is this in the PMTS media?

Postby milesb » Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:07 am

HH wrote:There are numerous way you can carve a turn (radius) shorter than the shape of the posted side cut. It used to be done on straight skis to some degree...... Pressure and leverage on different parts of the ski corresponding to the point of the turn, is the most successful approach.

I don't recall seeing this in the expert 2 book or video, or in the online ski lessons. This is very "old school" technique, although with modern short skis it requires a very light touch.
Although I agree it is effective, and is an integral part of my skiing, I am curious as to why it is "the most successful approach". Please explain.
milesb

Postby hh » Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:25 pm

If you want to achieve incredibly short radius, carved turns, with shaped skis that are less radius than on the manufacturers stamp, you have to increase pressure to bend the ski. You do this by increasing angles and extending the outside leg in the middle section of the arc. You also decrease radius by beginning the lay over of the skis in the high C part of the arc. All expert skiers know that forward leverage bends the tip and engages the ski to force a sharper radius. This is still done on modern slalom and GS skis, although the duration and intensity is more subtle than what we did in the old straight ski days.

The references to pulling the inside foot back in book 1&2 are how you increase forward leverage on the ski in the PMTS system.
hh

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System