Anonymous Posts

PMTS Forum

Anonymous Posts

Postby Hobbit » Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:13 pm

Hi everybody,

This is in response to the ?Guest? message posted in the other thread.

We've had some rambling in the past caused by anonymous posts. I don?t want to blame people who sometimes forget to sign in or don?t know how to post correctly. But some of the ?Guest? posts are quite provocative. I believe that the ?Guest? massages are coming from this site membership or subscription holders since the free access posts do require registering and logon.

Everyone is welcome here. PMTS Forum access and registration are free. But I believe that this Forum should not be used for spreading rumors or personal attacks ( well, some ribbing is OK and I really enjoyed reading Pinhed and SCSA ?discussion? ;-) ). Most of us come here to enjoy the friendly conversations and I have a lot of respect for this group of devoted skiers. I believe that the Forum setup provides enough options for anonymity ? just do not provide your contact information, e-mail, etc. Placing anonymous ?Guest? posts on purpose in my opinion represents violation of the Forum ethics and demonstrates ill intentions towards other people.

The best solution of course would be to disable anonymous posts but it?s up to the Forum administrator. If this is not an option, I wonder if we (the registered users) can come to the common agreement just to ignore the anonymous posts. This would help us to keep the positive discussions.

Hobbit
Hobbit
Site Admin

Postby -- SCSA » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:04 am

I'm with the hobbit!

Hey hobbit. Did you see where the guest is telling me how un-welcome I am? :?:

Like this is new news or something. "Wah, it's SCSA. I'm taking my trucks and shovels and going to a different sand pile." :P :lol:
-- SCSA

Postby Hobbit » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:47 am

Yes, this was the message which set me off. There are other threads of course. We should not honor the guy(s) with the reply. Just ignore them.

Hobbit
Hobbit
Site Admin

Postby jclayton » Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:57 am

Hi SCSA ,
I haven't been very active lately , lots of work to pay for next season ( I might try to get to HINTERTUX !!! ) . I seem to remember you logging of for a while for the same reason but you do seem irrepresible , maybe it's this that upsets so many others from the "other side " . They do take themselves VERY seriously . Watching some of their videos and reading their requests for help I can see obvious candidates for PMTS instruction , eg pole - arch lift , etc but I'm sure they would never admit it .
I reckon "paralysis by analysis" is endemic over there . One guy said DesLauriers book was really good but Haralds not so , didn't he read the section where Rob says , for basic techique see HH's stuff . What a joke ! Anyway keep firing .
JClayton
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby -- SCSA » Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:45 am

Good morning!

Great to see we're all on the same page. Somebody should start a new thread, "Skiing misinformation". Because skiing misinformation, is what I see the most of.

:arrow: jclayton sez it good! :!:
-- SCSA

Postby -- SCSA » Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:24 pm

This is an example of what happened to me... This isn't SCSA it's nick (aka PinHed). I'm going to use nick now because someone has already taken liberty with my PinHed handle.

SCSA, if you don't sign in then your posts will show up as "guest" under your handle.
-- SCSA

Postby nick » Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:27 pm

Now that I've signed in, I'm showing up as nick.

Please take the time to sign in so we know you are who you claim to be.

Thanks Hobbit
nick

Postby jclayton » Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:56 pm

This is all very confusing, sounds like a lot of under cover skulduggery going on . By whom ?????
We need to get out onto the slopes and blow away all these unhealthy toxins .
J.C.
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby -- SCSA » Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:50 am

Yeah, the forum is definitely funky... :roll:

I'm with jclayton! Off to make some turnz now!
-- SCSA

Postby nick » Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:22 am

yeah but...

There's a very simple solution. If you log in then you're legit. If you see a handle with the "guest" identifier underneath the handle then nobody really knows if the user is who they say they are.

So, don't be a slaker ...log in! Simple.

Okay, now go ski.
nick

Postby Hobbit » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:07 pm

Harald, if you are reading this, I wonder why you are not using the standard Forum login procedure. There are posts by "hh", "HH", "Hh", "h.harb", "Harald Harb", etc. How do we know that those posts (or at least some of them) are authentic ? At this point anyone can post as "hh" or impersonate any other "guest". Would'nt it be better if we know "who is talking" :) ? SCSA, this applies to you too.

Regarding the latest burst of the "Guest" message activity, if you follow few latest discussions on Epic, you might get a pretty good idea on who the "Guest" is. At least, like Dennis Miller says, "this is my opinion..." :)

I've sent a message to Peter and offered my help in fixing this situation but have no reply so far. I can't see any good reason for anyone to post as a "Guest" and have such a loophole in the Forum setup. Please continue to ignore the "Guest" posts.

Thanks,
Hobbit
Hobbit
Site Admin

Easy to force loging in

Postby John Mason » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:51 pm

We use the same forum manager (it's the free php stuff). It's a simple admin switch to force login in.

I do notice, for some reason, when I log in, if I don't have "remember me" checked, I have to log in like 3 times to really get logged in. This is a pain, so I've have done "---John Mason" posts before. But now I just leave remember me checked and it's no problem.

That may be why some people don't bother.

Oh - mr hobbit - my son lost my FRS radios on a college cheerleading convention he was working at a couple of weeks ago.

So, I picked up some new ones!
John Mason

Postby Hunter » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:16 pm

I think you are over reacting, the Guest function is designed to encourage people to give it a try before you buy type thing, many people are not used to forums like these and so feel their way through the portal where registering is not required, sure you will get some plonkers who will just stir the s. but if they go unanswered they fade away, but don't mix Guest and critical feedback and = stirer, even though they may not have registered they may well still have a point.
You can isolate the guest feature to another sub forum like Q+A this way they can be controlled/encouraged to the side so to speak.
Hunter

Postby Bluey » Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:34 am

I agree, the best approach is to ignore them.
The only reason they have really been an issue here is that until recently we did not have to put up with this small minded sniping.

Of course, the above is easy for me to say as I'm not the one being sniped at......

Hang in there Harald.....you probably knew it wasn't going to be an easy ride when you started out down this path of creating PMTS.......
what surprises me is the huge amount of emotion all this generates.....so I better go and take a good lie down and get my nap else I might become a grumpy old man.......

Bluey
Bluey

Postby -- SCSA » Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:02 am

I think the forum has a few bugs.

I know I registered as SCSA but can't seem to use it. So, I re-registered as -- SCSA. Sent Peter an email, but since he's not making a dime on this sucker, I figure we're on our own.

We use dotnet bb, it's the best bb software I found. It's a little more costlier to run, because it runs behind a firewall and uses SQL. But the UI, is way more friendlier.

Don't get me wrong, no beetching here. Just my .02.
-- SCSA

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System