Reasonably PMTS compatible powder skis?

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Re: Reasonably PMTS compatible powder skis?

Postby jbotti » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:23 am

If price is not an issue, the Kastle MX 88 should be on that list. It is by far the best ski in the 85-90mm waisted category that I have ever skied. I am going to take out the Stockli AR tomorrow if they have them in my size. It's been on my list of skis to demo for a while.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby jbotti » Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:01 pm

Never got around to skiing the Stockli Laser AR. maybe next season.
jbotti

Postby AnI » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:56 pm

Well, got MX88 delivered today. Could not resist after reading jbotti's excited reviews! We will see how they ski.

I was able to find a pair with Kastle K12 PRW GW bindings (sliding on a pre-mounted rail) at a discount. Indeed, as visual appearance of the bindings and letters in the name (PRW FW 12) suggested, the box says that they are made by Head/Tyrolia, and the manual enclosed in the box plainly says "Tyrolia" without even mentioning Kastle anywhere. I forgot to measure the delta, but I expect (and hope) that it is 5.5 mm, just as with he matching Tyrolia bindings.

I know, my son wanted FX96 Ti, but I was unable to find them with any discount - they sold out way too quickly, even without discount. So, I figured, between the two of us, with boots with the same sole length, we can find a use for MX88. I was able to set them up and wax them without him knowing, so he will be thrilled to see them for the first time and try them out on the mountain, whenever it cools down and we get to the snow!

As a matter of fact, I've been thinking about stealing Evolv100 from my son and ski them when it is not icy. It is a lot of work, they require by far the largest amount of effort to ski than any skis I ever skied, but they are such powerful movements enforcers that I think it can be very useful for me. I got way too sloppy.

It is a paradox of its own, Evolv100 are so unforgiving, so demanding, that skiing them can be immensely useful for me. They make one take tipping, weight transfer, everything, to a totally different level, nothing can be tentative there, or they will just ignore you. When I skied them, they made me realize how tentative I am most of the time. Just want to make it clear, so that it does not sound like I am saying it is a good learning ski, not at all, first, too wide for that, secondly, my situation is that I know what I need to be doing, but these skis show very clearly that I am under-executing the movements. I cannot remember when I tipped so hard as on this skis, and after a single run, while doing the same intensity of movements, i.SL start turning on like a dime, for real.
AnI

Postby AnI » Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:17 pm

I discovered that indeed, as I has been told in this forum, Evolv100 excel in soft spring snow. They cut north-west "cement" with ease, has great grip on soft or slushy snow, and make skiing on such snow really easy. These must be great skis for Lake Tahoe or Mammoth typical conditions! The only weakness is that if one gets into a shady area where snow started refreezing, you instantly find yourself wondering if you are still in control or just sliding through the ice with very limited control.
AnI

Postby gozoogle » Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:33 pm

jbotti wrote:Never got around to skiing the Stockli Laser AR. maybe next season.

Did you ever get on one this season?
gozoogle

Postby jbotti » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:41 am

No. It's also been changed with a new name (the Montero AR I believe). If I have time between now and the end of the season I can take them for a spin. If I do, I'll post a review.
jbotti

Previous

Return to Gear