Carvers MA

Re: Carvers MA

Postby RyanAllen » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:06 am

Hey Guys!

I've been re-reading the Essentials book, and really wanted to up the challenge for my tipping skills with the carvers. Here's a video update of the tipping exercises I used this morning. I found them to be difficult, especially the garland tipping, which was like the "target tipping" drill on page 69. As the book says, "Tipping is not about turning - it's about balancing" (page 34, underlined and highlighted!!). The drills really forced my attention on better counterbalancing.

My boot alignment has been a little frustrating of late. I backed off the shimming quite a bit under my left foot - I'm down to 0.5 degrees fat side in - after noticing some bowing and difficulty tipping onto my left BTE. My right leg also seems to move quicker even though I run more shim - 3 degrees presently. I'm wondering if I've actually made my cuff's too soft and might try cranking them outward just a bit. It's frustrating to troubleshoot on my own and I can't wait for my alignment appointment this winter.

Last, this was my first time on a set of Labeda's - the Asphalt Grippers. Same color as previous wheels, but a rounder profile and a little softer at 85a vs. 89a. I dunno, they're nice, but not mind blowing. Probably smoother to tip than the sharper, pointy profile of the previous wheels.

Thanks for the feedback and comments!



-Ry
User avatar
RyanAllen
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:15 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Re: Carvers MA

Postby RyanAllen » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:32 pm

Overkill possibly, but I wasn't satisfied with yesterday's session. The alignment of my left didn't look quite right with some bowing while tipping to the BTE. So, I checked and remeasured everything this morning, from my footbeds, to cuff alignment, to boot sole shims. Made a few more changes - softened my right boot cuff a bit, and removed the 0.5 shim under my left boot, just leaving the 3 degree shim under my right. It felt better, and I think it looks better too.

I warmed up with much of the same drills in the previous video, so this one skips to the main event - my first try at a cone course. Had some anxiety about trying this because of the risk of tripping and crashing, so I started with a short course and kept adding as my confidence grew. It was actually a ton of fun! Next time I'd like to build a course with more offset, further apart. Side note: course work was recommended to me as a way to practice turning where I have too, not necessarily where I want too.

The short turn challenge at the end was just me having some extra fun! Hope you enjoy! As always, I value and appreciate your comments and input!



-Ry
User avatar
RyanAllen
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:15 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Re: Carvers MA

Postby noobSkier » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:56 am

Beast. I agree with the alignment changes, results look positive. If I am nitpicking, I'd point to your right footers slightly drifting away when you get on that BTE. It's hard to say what the cause is because it's so minimal. I'd stick to this setup for a few weeks and stay mindful of the slight drift on the right footers. But this is great carving.
User avatar
noobSkier
 
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:35 am
Location: Quebec, Canada

Re: Carvers MA

Postby RyanAllen » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:24 am

Fall is in the air here in Michigan. Colors are starting to turn up north and even near Grand Rapids. Reminds me very much of early season cyclocross but I have no desire to do that this year (6 seasons was enough). Was finally discharged from PT this week though minor issues, like IT band soreness, still persist. Getting older is going to be a pain in the @$$.

Here's a new video of my Sunday morning carver sesh. I'm really enjoying the course practice as a way to test my skills and poke holes in my carving. I try and show you my best stuff, but maybe a "blooper reel" would be fun sometime. There's plenty of material...

In Michigan, we're often on the snow before Thanksgiving. I would love to have a chance to see how much of my summer carving work transfers to the snow before heading for CO. One boot issue I realized of late is that the medial side of my ankle bones are much closer to the shell than the lateral sides. Sometimes they rub, too. I am hopeful this can be remedied by the experts at HSS.

User avatar
RyanAllen
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:15 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Re: Carvers MA

Postby RyanAllen » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:50 pm

Counteracting is fun!

User avatar
RyanAllen
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:15 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Re: Carvers MA

Postby RyanAllen » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:40 am

Weekend update!

User avatar
RyanAllen
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:15 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Re: Carvers MA

Postby RyanAllen » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:41 am

The last few weeks, I've been working (struggling) with upper body coordination. The hip-o-meter drills seem quite challenging when I'm rolling - less so while doing stationary work on my slantboard. But, I like how the hip engagement or tipping can "turbo charge" my carving to borrow Harald's language. Still, this is something I really want to improve upon before this winter. Does anyone else have experience combining Harb Carvers with the hip-o-meter drills? I would love to hear about your experiences.

User avatar
RyanAllen
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:15 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Re: Carvers MA

Postby HighAngles » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:58 am

Color me really, really impressed... and inspired. I'm going to dust off my Carvers and see if I can get a boot setup that will work with them. I've done a lot of work with my boot setup over the past couple seasons and I am going to try to duplicate that on an old set of boots to use with the Carvers. So how does the canting for snow generally translate to the canting for the Carvers? Does the canting need to be exaggerated a bit when moving to the Carvers?

I'm believe that we're all going to end up with much less snow time in the early season due to CV-19 restrictions. With less terrain open, the mountains are going to have to keep their skier visit numbers down. I'm hoping to make up the difference by getting time on the Carvers.
User avatar
HighAngles
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:46 am

Re: Carvers MA

Postby RyanAllen » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:05 pm

Thank you for the comment! The early shutdown to the last ski season was a big motivator for me to build my carvers. Although frustrating at first - because I didn't bother following any instruction initially - they have become one of my favorite workouts. They could serve as a training tool year round when the weather permits. If I can transfer even half of what I've learned on carvers to the snow that would be excellent!

HighAngles wrote:So how does the canting for snow generally translate to the canting for the Carvers? Does the canting need to be exaggerated a bit when moving to the Carvers?


I've wondered about this too. It would be interesting to get HH's thoughts on any differences between boot alignment for skiing vs. Harb carving. If everything goes according to plan, I will be at HSS for an alignment appointment in November. So we'll see how my DIY alignment compares with the professionals. They will probably get a good laugh! My carver boots are also my older practice boots, to which I have modified the cuff alignment, and modified my cork footbeds with posting for over-pronation. I also bought several different cantology strips and have cut them into small sections to fit on top of the carver bindings, under the boot soles.

I really don't know whether aligning them would be any different, but my hunch is that the carvers are more sensitive to any misalignment because of the possible leverage from being higher off the ground. I have room between the bindings and boots for up to about 4 degrees of shimming and my right carver is maxed out while my left carver doesn't seem to need as much. Let me know what you come up with!
User avatar
RyanAllen
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:15 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Re: Carvers MA

Postby HighAngles » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:17 pm

RyanAllen wrote:Thank you for the comment! The early shutdown to the last ski season was a big motivator for me to build my carvers. Although frustrating at first - because I didn't bother following any instruction initially - they have become one of my favorite workouts. They could serve as a training tool year round when the weather permits. If I can transfer even half of what I've learned on carvers to the snow that would be excellent!

HighAngles wrote:So how does the canting for snow generally translate to the canting for the Carvers? Does the canting need to be exaggerated a bit when moving to the Carvers?


I've wondered about this too. It would be interesting to get HH's thoughts on any differences between boot alignment for skiing vs. Harb carving. If everything goes according to plan, I will be at HSS for an alignment appointment in November. So we'll see how my DIY alignment compares with the professionals. They will probably get a good laugh! My carver boots are also my older practice boots, to which I have modified the cuff alignment, and modified my cork footbeds with posting for over-pronation. I also bought several different cantology strips and have cut them into small sections to fit on top of the carver bindings, under the boot soles.

I really don't know whether aligning them would be any different, but my hunch is that the carvers are more sensitive to any misalignment because of the possible leverage from being higher off the ground. I have room between the bindings and boots for up to about 4 degrees of shimming and my right carver is maxed out while my left carver doesn't seem to need as much. Let me know what you come up with!


Thanks for that info. I have the original Comp Carvers and I never loved the way the boot connects to the Carvers. I have some old skiboard (snowler blades) bindings that I'm thinking of retrofitting onto the Carvers. That would make canting adjustments much easier to deal with. I guess I'll just start with matching my old boots' setup to the new ones and see where that gets me.

BTW - I live about 30 minutes from the shop. There's a local "posse" of PMTS folks out here, so ping us when you're definitely coming out.
User avatar
HighAngles
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:46 am

Re: Carvers MA

Postby RyanAllen » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:18 am

Hey skiers,

Here's a mid-October progress report. The focus over the past few weeks has been countering my tipping. I was fortunate to receive some keen feedback that in previous video's I was not always holding my counteracting long enough. My glitch was that I was bringing my hips and upper body to neutral in transition (hips and shoulders square over boots) prior to changing edges. This was something I did not fully understand and I was grateful for the clarification. The advice and coaching of experienced PMTS skiers are better than anything you'll ever get from PSIA!



I'm happy with my progress, but there are a few things I'd like to improve in the final couple of weeks before we hit the snow:
1) Counteract even harder, exaggerate to find the true limit.
2) Counterbalancing on my Right footers appear a little bit weaker than left footers.
3) My pole plant timing is not always in sync with my releases.
4) My left hand tends to drop in the beginning of my left footers.

If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears!

-Ry
User avatar
RyanAllen
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:15 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Re: Carvers MA

Postby noobSkier » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:18 pm

very nice. I would pick on the pole plant a little, even though its minor (apart from the timing issues). My preference is the HH-style wrist flick as opposed to driving the inside elbow forward. Just study how HH does it...I've also become proficient at it.
User avatar
noobSkier
 
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:35 am
Location: Quebec, Canada

Re: Carvers MA

Postby RyanAllen » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:04 pm

noobSkier wrote:very nice. I would pick on the pole plant a little, even though its minor (apart from the timing issues). My preference is the HH-style wrist flick as opposed to driving the inside elbow forward. Just study how HH does it...I've also become proficient at it.


Excellent suggestion! Thank you, thank you. When I began my carver project, the focus started from the ground up, getting into upper body coordination in these final weeks. But it does kind of wreck the final presentation to see my arms are flopping around. :lol: I will try and quiet things down and work on a more subtle pole plant.
User avatar
RyanAllen
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:15 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Previous

Return to Movement Analysis and Video

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron