Camera for coaching and instructing

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Camera for coaching and instructing

Postby Jjmdane » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:14 am

What is a good camera for taking ski video for instructional purposes? Not interested in POV but more for detailed analysis of turn sequences. I realize there is a trade off between size and zoom capacity ; I am looking for something I can use both for race coaching and instructing on the hill. I am very familiar with photography so I don’t need a dumbed down version. Thanks for any recommendations.
Jjmdane

Re: Camera for coaching and instructing

Postby HighAngles » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:41 pm

At least 10x optical zoom, with a real viewfinder (not just a screen), and optical image stabilization. From there it's more about the form factor (size) and brand reputation.
HighAngles

Postby VAskier » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:25 pm

A few years ago when I was looking for a camera to take MA video, I had a difficult time finding a new, reasonably-priced, consumer-level camera with a real viewfinder since apparently the manufacturers have decided that the viewfinder is no longer considered useful at the the consumer level. I had to resort to Craigslist to find a camera that worked for me and bought a Sony DCR-HC30.
VAskier

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:05 am

Panasonic and Sony both have good HD and 4K offerings. I currently use a Panasonic V770... but my previous camera was a Sony. The cheapest small-sized camera I've seen lately that also includes a viewfinder is the Sony AX33 (which I'm considering buying for next season). The Panasonic screen, absent a viewfinder, works well in all but the sunniest conditions.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby noobSkier » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:50 pm

IMO the most important feature is user friendliness seeing as how it's your buddies and students who will film you. Theres nothing worse than slaying a run only to find out the damn thing wasn't recording; I have physically removed unessential buttons to prevent mishaps. IMO the second most important feature is size; my camcorder is small enough to live permanently in my coat pocket...being able to have it on me at all times has been the key to getting video often (absolutely essential for progress!!). You have to keep in mind that few will understand why you need video in the first place and no-one wants to wait for you while you get the camera or do 3 takes because of gear mishaps. Do everything you can not to make this chore.

You are filming for MA, not a ski movie (unless you are Harald or heluvaskier :D ). Minimum requirements: at least 10x zoom with OIS and at least 1080p 60fps. I use the Sony HDR-CX405 which fits all the criteria and is dirt cheap.
noobSkier

Return to Gear