selective wax application?

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

selective wax application?

Postby noobSkier » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:58 pm

Would there be any downsides to only applying wax underfoot? I noticed this is where it gets worn off the most (base discolouration) and I'd like to cut down on tune up time. Any thoughts?
noobSkier

Re: selective wax application?

Postby jbotti » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:49 am

Why not just apply wax to the whole ski and skip the scraping. If you apply a super thin coat of wax (which BTW takes about 2 mins) you don't need to scrape and brush which is what does take time.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby noobSkier » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:22 am

I've already more-or-less optimized the process. I don't scrape or brush, I soak up excess wax with a blue shop towel and hit it with the roto at the end. It doesn't take long but honestly it adds up when you do it twice a week. Im thinking why do the whole ski if only 15% of it actually needs the wax?
noobSkier

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:05 am

If you're not prepping the entire ski every time you wax, you run the risk of doing more damage to the base than the base burn does underfoot. The reason-being is that if the ski isn't being completely scraped (excess wax removed) then completely brushed with brass, re-waxed, and scraped and then brushed with nylon or horsehair, you run the risk of waxing over the nastiness that was picked up by the excess wax on the ski. This just locks all that crap into the wax on the ski and never really cleans the base. If you're not doing it already, you should be giving a ski with base burn a thorough brushing with a brass (or sometimes even soft steel) brush. This will get rid of all the damaged base material before you put a coat of wax over it.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby Darren » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:12 pm

I put phantom 2 base treatment on my skis & it really cut down on the base burn. I ski a lot of cold abrasive snow which wears the base down right next to the edge when skiing on edge.

Before Phantom every few days I would have to file down the steel edge to be flush with base as the base would wear faster then the harder steel edge . I have skied about 10 days with the Phantom base treatment & the base & edge are still flush. Phantom lasts the life of the ski even if base is stone ground.

Phantom makes the base harder & slide better which would cut down on base burn.

Phantom also seams to make the base more resistance to damage though not based on scientific study on my part just based on my experience after hitting a few rocks.
Darren

Return to Gear