New boots cant angle

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

New boots cant angle

Postby Bingster » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:19 pm

After 7 years on a pair of boots from Harb ski shop, it's time for me to get a new pair of boots. On my current boots, the cant angles are 2 degrees left and 2.5 degrees right. On the new boots, will the cant angles be the same?

Thanks a lot.
Bingster

Re: New boots cant angle

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:40 pm

Often boots behave different from one another... If it is the same boot you have a good chance... same brand a somewhat reasonable chance... different brand... who knows. You have a good baseline from HSS, but the only way to know for sure is to have an evaluation in whatever your new boot is.

There is a reason I've been skiing in the same two boots for two decades...
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:12 am

I recently went from Salomon to nordica...completely different set up..

My Salomons had fixed cuffs, so no cuff adjustment at all. Think I had 1.5 deg cant OUT on my left boot and 1 deg on my right..

With the the nordica’s, my left boot was canted IN 2 deg and right boot 0. Both cuffs needed the lateral adjustment bolts moving to allow for more outward movement..

This time around, I didn’t need footbeds....I guess all the time that I spend in bare feet/ flip flops from my water skiing has strengthened up my feet..they were also a different shape than before - much wider..so wide that I had to go up a boot size..

Anyway, point being is that you just don’t know until you get them fitted (even in the same boots) as a lot may have subtly changed. The reason I got my boots changed was that I could tell that my alignment had changed. Diana could tell just from my description prior to the camp...
go_large_or_go_home

Postby ToddW » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:59 pm

There’s no substitute for on-snow alignment. As an example, I once switched from a pair of Head B2 Raptors with the shiny white plastic to a newer pair of B2 made using the same mold but the more responsive matte white plastic. The same person (Harald) dialed in the alignment of both pairs over several days on snow, and the 2nd time we had both pair at A-Basin for comparison. The alignments differed a good bit. Best guess is that the noticeably stiffer cuff on the 2nd pair was behind this. Two boots made using the same mold and both nominally 150 flex, but different optimal alignment.
ToddW

Postby Bingster » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:19 am

Thanks for everybody's replies.

The best way to get the boots right is to see a PMTS trained boot fitter. But I cannot find any in the whole Toronto area.
After I got the new boots, I shoot some videos. I hope somebody here can help do some analysis based on the videos.

Here is the link to my other post.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5582

Thanks a lot.
Bingster

Postby Erik » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:20 pm

Bingster-

If you haven't already seen it, download the Harb Ski Systems Alignment ~ On-snow Assessment eVideo. $20.

It may give you some ideas about other camera angles to shoot that will help with the MA analysis. For example, big toe edge and little toe edge traverses, flat ski runs, flat ski run downslope into a onesie turn, etc.
Erik

Return to Gear