Tech Camp-Dec 2019

PMTS Forum

Tech Camp-Dec 2019

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:44 pm

Just completed the latest Tech Camp - which was a perfect fit for me. It allowed me to challenge and improve my understanding, whilst working on my own skiing. I had managed to work in some funky movements into my skiing over the years, partly due to my old boots, lack of skiing and a misunderstanding of my own movement patterns...I found the camp really challenging - both mentally and physically..

The spread of ability and experience was wide, from a green coach aspiring for blue accreditation to a PSIA coach looking for enlightenment. There was a 9 Camp veteran to a nooby to pmts- but experienced race coach..we were all looking for a deeper understanding in teaching, alignment, technique, MA and an improvement in our own skiing..we were all challenged, enlightened and made great improvement across the board.

Walter is a great coach, and nailed exactly what we were each looking to develop/ improve. Our technique was meticulously dismantled and expertly put back together, whilst learning the reasons why and how to convey it to others. It always amazes me how we can all carry out the same drill, but be given individual cues and aspects to work on. It felt like having a private coach.

For the final 2 days, we had Diana take the group. For those that haven’t had the pleasure of Diana’s coaching, she is hands down the best coach/ teacher/ instructor that I have had the good fortune to learn from - in any subject/ discipline. Every aspect of her teaching style/ manner/ pace & technique is a masterclass. It is as inspiring as it is amazing.

Prior to the start of the camp, I had new boots fitted at the shop. The care and attention is unparalleled. Every aspect was covered and no stone is left in covered.

Weirdly, my alignment changed mid week, which caused no end of problems to my skiing..at one point, I felt like I had never been on a pair of skis. As I transitioned from my waterskiing season to my snowskiing, the musculature around my hips changed. Consequently, both my femurs internally rotated, which completely changed how my legs stood within the boots. Daily setup tweaks, 2 fitting sessions, replacement liners, 5 days of skiing and I think we have them dialled in....

I have dramatically changed as a skier, despite being a pain in the ass for the coaches...I now know what I should be feeling and, more importantly, how to tell if ‘I’ am not where I want to be - something I don’t think I could tell in the old setup..my SMIM is fore/aft....I now know where Center is, where previously I was skiing aft of center..

Despite the lack of skiing over the last few years - 1 weeks ski vacation/ year since 2015, I was pretty happy with how I managed to negotiate this bump run...

For those that might think the Tech Camp is only for aspiring coaches...think again. If you have a thirst for knowledge as well as technique, this Camp is for you...
go_large_or_go_home

Re: Tech Camp-Dec 2019

Postby h.harb » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:40 pm

This is obviously an Expert skier who skis better than any PSIA full cert I know. Yet he is still taking lessons (Qualifier: PMTS Coaching) and improving. Why do PSIA instructors (most of them) do not aspire to this level. I know one thing, PSIA will never get skiers to this level with their coaching or training.
h.harb

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:25 pm

High praise indeed...
My desire for continual improvement and advancement is matched only by my quest for knowledge and understanding. PMTS provides a clear roadmap for both..I know less is definatley more, but i just wish that I could get slightly more than what I am currently getting. First world problem I guess.
go_large_or_go_home

Postby noobSkier » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:49 am

impressive skiing, nice work go_large
noobSkier

Postby h.harb » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:02 pm

With Harb Camps you get the best instructor/coaches in the world. The best trained coaches in the world. You get the most sorted movement system ever evolved, so far ahead of the rest of the teaching world. And you get your boot set up analyzed by the best technicians in the world. So tell me what is not to like???
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:24 pm

Here is just a basic example of how blind PSIA is. Walter at his home resort Alpine Meadows, in California, which is part of the Squaw Valley group, gets 40% of all privates at that ski area. Most of these are request private lessons. One guy gets 40% of all private lesson business. Would you not want to know as the ski school director and GM how and why this one guy is generating that much income for the company? Wouldn't you want the rest of your instructors to do the same? The answer is no. Walter teaches PMTS in his private's lessons. Management isn't smart enough to get it, they don't even want to know.
h.harb

Postby dtrick924 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:05 pm

Thanks for sharing your camp experience and video.

I took 3 days of privates with Walter at Alpine Meadows in January 2018 and had a wonderful experience. He went above and beyond to make dryland video examples for my SMIM so I could practice at home.
dtrick924

Postby precisionchiro » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:06 pm

I was in Tech Camp with go-large, my very first Harb camp and time in Colorado. We had some GREAT chats on the chairlift!

I’ll echo everything he said. After taking numerous PSIA and USSA (and other) ski clinics and exams over the past 20+ years, this is the first time I’ve experienced an on-snow event where EVERYTHING MAKES SENSE, everything WORKS, all coaches AND participants were on the same exact page, using the same clear and specific terminology, and everyone experienced dramatic results.

As a former instructor and current race coach, I was paying VERY close attention to the teaching and communication skills of Walter, Diana, and Harald, our three coaches for Tech Camp. Nobody else in the ski instruction/coaching industry even comes close in delivering words, phrases, and information in such a “mentally digestible” way. In the same way that PMTS is about putting effective forces into your ski boots... it is also about putting effective forces into the eyes, ears, and minds of the students you teach. And PMTS coaches are teaching and communicating on a level I’ve never seen anywhere else in the ski industry before. I never expected to learn so much about teaching (group teaching, and one-on-one), on top of what I THOUGHT I knew, from a ski course.

I have to say... I think our final day with Diana was easily worth the investment of the entire trip, for me.

I’m glad to finally be a part of the HSS Camp Family.
precisionchiro

Postby h.harb » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:56 pm

Thank you for the great comments. We are so happy everyone is enjoying the camps. We work very hard with our coaches and we are always training updating and refining our teaching and our system. My job is to keep everything current and precise. Not only with the skiing but with our tongues. I often move from group to group to watch learn and refine our teaching direction. This is quality control and also and endless drive to get even better. We will never rest.

The remarks on this page about Harb Ski Systems Camps are incredible, thank you. I sure would appreciate it if you put some of your remarks on the comments section in the latest YOUTUBE video I put together of Diana's skiing. Here is the link:https:

h.harb

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System