What are you skiing?

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Re: What are you skiing?

Postby jbotti » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:56 pm

I have now been in Montana the past 8 days. I have skied two pairs of skis, the Blossom White Outs and the Head RNR. We have had some great pow days and the RNR's are such amazing soft snow skis. The rest of the time the Blossoms are just fricking amazing. I love Slalom Carvers (and have way too many pairs) but on great, grippy, hero rockies snow I can bend the blossoms down to a slalom arc and even at 77 under foot they are still amazingly quick. Never ever thought I would say it but I could be very happy with a two ski quiver of the White Outs and the RNRs. Both can be skied all day and all over the mountain in almost any of the conditions we get out here.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby JMD » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:32 am

I revamped my quiver this season. Stockli Laser Sl 170cm 16/17--Blossom White Out 176cm 17/18--Head Rev105 181cm 14/15. All mounted with Powerail PRD12 Bindings. Hard snow-Soft snow-Deeper powder. Life/Skiing is great here in Summit County Colorado. JMD :D
JMD

Postby Jjmdane » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:32 pm

Have the White Out’s been the same ski for the last few years?
Jjmdane

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:35 pm

Jjmdane wrote:Have the White Out’s been the same ski for the last few years?

Yes. The sidewall material changed after 2015 but it had virtually no impact on the ski performance.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby seskelson » Tue May 15, 2018 2:23 pm

1. Head Monster 78 178 cm -- just about done. Not much life left in it, but the one ski I have kept for years. My true rock ski -- sad.
2. Scott Mission - 177 cm -- not the best ski for PMTS - 90 mm waist. But one of the most idiot proof and friendly skis I have found for my patrolling. I have kept it from days of associating with Scott. It has become my early season somewhat "rock" ski for ski patrolling.
3. Head Kore 93 180 cm
4. Head R n R 180 cm
5. Head Monster 88 177 cm -- great ski. My second version of the new Monster 88. This is the 2018 version. I had the prior original version a couple of years ago ( the first year of the new Monsters) .
6. Head Supreme Instinct 170 cm. I know Harald did not care for many of the Instinct line. But, this one has been an excellent replacement for my prior Head Icon tt80's (albeit it is wider in the waist). 13 m turn radius.
7. For next year coming up -- the Head Vshape V6 in 170 cm. Ready to go at the home of the Head Rep. I need to pick them up.. This may become the replacement for the old Monster 78 . It is 78 mm in the waist.
8. I'm also debating about ordering me the SS Speed in a 170 cm -- haven't had a Supershape in a while. I had three prior versions going back to the original then I went to the Icons.
seskelson

Postby Darren » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:06 pm

It is hard to demo skis when looking @ the 2019/2020 SS i speed & the Elan SLX which one to choose.
The side cut, width are close to the same, both have marketing rocker & wood & titanium. Flex pattern & stiffness difference ? How do these skis differ in there performance is one more suited to different type of snow condition & terrain or a different style of skiing ? Maybe the cores come the same factory then shipped to Elan & head so there would not be much difference. Are the new Elan SLX amphibio ? thanks
Darren

Postby jbotti » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:36 am

Elan abandoned amphibio on the SLX 2 or so years ago. Both are excellent skis. The Elan is a little stiffer than the SS I.Speed and because of that the SS i.Speed is a little more versatile and user friendly off piste.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby noobSkier » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:40 pm

havn't tried the new i.speed, but the 2019 slx is my daily driver and I love it. My SS kers feel like wet noodles in comparison, but then again they have over 200 days on them.
noobSkier

Postby HighAngles » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:33 am

I have an older pre-amphibio Elan SL (not the SLX). With so many skiers on this forum using the SLX, I was doing some research on the current SLX and found this video. Nice skiing. For laughs turn on the closed captioning with auto-translate to English. :lol:

Note that I was able to remove the Fusion system from my Elan SL and replace it with a true RDX race plate and Tyrolia Freeflex Pro race bindings. It really changed the character of the skis, making them much more "substantial" under foot. I have pictures of the surgery if anyone is interested in how to replace a Fusion system with a "real" setup. ;)
HighAngles

Postby Max_501 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:01 am

I can't think of a good reason to put a race plate on the SLX for the average PMTS skier because the SLX is already fairly stiff with the fusion bindings. I'd urge anyone putting a race plate on a ski like this to confirm that the change has improved their skiing. In my experience, more often than not a stiffer ski leads to a park and ride movement pattern when used by the average recreational skier. Stiffer skis need more speed to bend into a nice arc and most recreational skiers are trying to go slower when they carve down a blue or black run, not faster. OTOH, advanced racers and expert skiers may need a stiffer ski that won't stall at race speeds.
Max_501

Postby HighAngles » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:28 pm

Max_501 wrote:I can't think of a good reason to put a race plate on the SLX for the average PMTS skier because the SLX is already fairly stiff with the fusion bindings. I'd urge anyone putting a race plate on a ski like this to confirm that the change has improved their skiing. In my experience, more often than not a stiffer ski leads to a park and ride movement pattern when used by the average recreational skier. Stiffer skis need more speed to bend into a nice arc and most recreational skiers are trying to go slower when they carve down a blue or black run, not faster. OTOH, advanced racers and expert skiers may need a stiffer ski that won't stall at race speeds.

The SL is significantly less stiff than the SLX. It needed the RDX plate in my situation. It also fixed a binding delta problem that was impossible to deal with while the Fusion system was still installed.
HighAngles

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:13 pm

I have a race stock SLX from 2012 or something like that (bought as new old stock only a few seasons ago, and they barely get used)... Pre-Amphibio, post-waveflex. The thing is a monster. Stick with the regular SLX Fusion. I actually re-drilled the ski to move the front and back of the plate closer together to allow the ski to flex more.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby skifastDDS » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:17 am

Pre2010 Fischer RC4 WC SL 165 -- Rock ski
2008 Nordica Dobermann GSR 186 -- [like new condition, seldom used]
2008 Nordica Dobermann SLR 165 -- Daily driver SL, moving toward early season/bad condition ski
2013 Head RockNRoll 187 -- More than a few inches of fresh snow, spring slush
~2013 Hart Pulse 180 -- Eastern and western all-mountain. Favorite ski ever made. Extra unmounted pair in plastic. Holds on ice but no metal.
2018 Nordica WC SL race room 165 -- Real-deal FIS SL ski

New for this season:
2020 Head ISL 170 -- Recreational SL ski, very excited to try them
2018 Blizzard WRC 182 -- Beer league GS ski, long turn daily option with metal

I live on the East coast and take a few weekend trips to the big mountains out West each year, so this is a complete quiver for me. The new ISL will make it hard not to bring three pairs on trips though I suspect...
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
-Robert Frost, "The Road Not Taken"
skifastDDS

Postby Vailsteve » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:48 am

167 cm no-model-name Solomon rental skis. Too big, no model number rental Solomon boots. Steel poles.

Manmade snow. 75 meter long run. Call it 8 seconds top to bottom. Ok. 12 seconds if you make lots of turns.

36C/98F degrees outside. -4C/26F inside.

Dubai.

Having the time of my life.

(Another 10 days left in Abu Dhabi and then back to work on a real mountain...). Bummer.
Vailsteve

Postby gaku » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:13 pm

Max_501 wrote:I can't think of a good reason to put a race plate on the SLX for the average PMTS skier because the SLX is already fairly stiff with the fusion bindings. I'd urge anyone putting a race plate on a ski like this to confirm that the change has improved their skiing. In my experience, more often than not a stiffer ski leads to a park and ride movement pattern when used by the average recreational skier. Stiffer skis need more speed to bend into a nice arc and most recreational skiers are trying to go slower when they carve down a blue or black run, not faster. OTOH, advanced racers and expert skiers may need a stiffer ski that won't stall at race speeds.

Definitely improved, though the learning curve was steeper and I wouldn't recommend it to people with normal backgrounds. It's a beast of a setup, though, that just wants to go faster, faster, faster. Yes, it does get slightly scary/exhilerating at black runs, but it only reminds you to pay more attention to the essentials.

They've stored dust the last season, unfortunately, and I will probably miss most of this season as well. Had ACL and meniscus surgery in late June. My physio tells me I can be hopeful of a return to snow in the final months of the season. 'Only on easy conditions and terrain', he added as if that was a sad thing (I love my drill sessions on easy terrain, that's the only medicine I need after a season of drylands exercises only).
Training hard to get fit in time to not lose another season and undust my beauties!
gaku

PreviousNext

Return to Gear