MA request for Indoorski

MA request for Indoorski

Postby Indoorski » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:35 am

Hi,

It would be much appreciated if you could take a look at the attached video and send some SMIM advice my way. My ski history is a week each year in the mountains for the past 8 years with regular visits to an indoor snow centre for the past 18 months or so. I've been down the TTS route but made an attempt to switch to PMTS back in March of this year in an effort to rid myself of a nasty wedge that I have in my skiing. I'm looking to improve so brutal honesty will be gratefully received.

Indoorski

Re: MA request for Indoorski

Postby Indoorski » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:36 am

P.S. I'm the one in the white top and black bottoms
Indoorski

Postby Max_501 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:27 pm

Do you have any video of a Super Phantom?
Max_501

Postby Indoorski » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:23 am

Hi Max_501,

Many thanks for taking the time to look at my post. I'm up at the snow centre tomorrow so will see if I can charm someone to film some footage and I'll post on Monday.
Indoorski

Postby noobSkier » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:38 am

Good job for posting...MA is always painful. Tipping is your SMIM, your transitions are all wedge's and twisting. Like Max_501 said, super phantoms.
noobSkier

Postby gozoogle » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:20 pm

I’m curious... is this at that new place in NJ?
gozoogle

Postby Jeet » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:41 am

Nope. It's based in London.
Jeet

Postby Max_501 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:24 am

In this case fore/aft may be just as important as tipping. We flex to release but then we allow the outside leg to get long. The video shows that the flexed state is being held throughout the turn. I asked for Super Phantom footage to see if the same perma-flexed state is used when doing a lift and tip.
Max_501

Postby noobSkier » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:37 am

Fair point. Speaking as someone who used to be perma-flexed it all came back to tipping. Being perma-flexed makes it easier to pivot your skis around, which is something you would want (and maybe purposefully doing) if you can't tip at all...at least that was true in my case.
noobSkier

Postby Jeet » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:57 am

The bindings on the rental skis there are relatively flat. I can see if I can borrow Indoorski by skis (ispeed) with a prx binding to see if it makes a difference. At the Hintertux camp i had a 3mm heel lift which really helped.

Also the boots are Salamon which I know is not great for fore-aft balance.

Jeet
Jeet

Postby Max_501 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:26 pm

noobSkier wrote:Being perma-flexed makes it easier to pivot your skis around, which is something you would want (and maybe purposefully doing) if you can't tip at all...at least that was true in my case.

Point of clarification. It is easiest to pivot when the tips and tails are off the snow. Next is when the tips are on the snow and the tails are in the air or very light. More difficult is when the the tails are weighted and the tips are light. So, skiing from the backseat is never easier but the majority of skiers are too far aft and most use an active pivot to make a turn. The ski manufacturers recognized this and designed fat rockered skis that pivot with ease, even from an aft stance.
Max_501

Postby noobSkier » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:48 pm

Max_501 wrote:
noobSkier wrote:Being perma-flexed makes it easier to pivot your skis around, which is something you would want (and maybe purposefully doing) if you can't tip at all...at least that was true in my case.

Point of clarification. It is easiest to pivot when the tips and tails are off the snow. Next is when the tips are on the snow and the tails are in the air or very light. More difficult is when the the tails are weighted and the tips are light. So, skiing from the backseat is never easier but the majority of skiers are too far aft and most use an active pivot to make a turn. The ski manufacturers recognized this and designed fat rockered skis that pivot with ease, even from an aft stance.

I won't argue with you there, however I'd point out that in the cases you mentioned, pivoting is only easier if the skier is using active extension as a means to lighten the skis. Once you take away that extension (like this skier is trying to do with his perma-flex), possibly the easiest way to get those skis around without tipping, is taking an aft position and twisting the ski...something a PMTS student might do in a confused pursuit to turn the ski without a large up-movement.
noobSkier

Postby Max_501 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:47 am

I'll try this again.

noobSkier wrote:Being perma-flexed makes it easier to pivot your skis around

Being flexed makes tipping easier and pivoting harder. In either case being perma flexed makes skiing much more difficult.

...which is something you would want (and maybe purposefully doing) if you can't tip at all

The far majority of skiers are using a wedge/pivot based movement pattern because they haven't learned how to use tipping. Most also ski from a static and aft position. That aft position makes twisting without catching an edge much more challenging. That's one of the reasons it takes so long to learn to pivot skis simultaneously and why fat rockered skis are so popular.

...at least that was true in my case.

As HH has said before, we shouldn't apply our SMIM to others.

Back to this skier. I'd like to see video of a Super Phantom before identifying the SMIM. If the perma-flexed stance is still there then this student's SMIM will be learning to ski from a taller/forward stance.
Max_501

Postby Indoorski » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:50 am

I was up at the snow centre today and had two credit cards worth of plastic taped to the bottom of each heel of my boots. It made a huge difference (Many thanks Jeet....just 3mm...i don't get it) and I lost the bucking bronco feeling that I get as I move through the C. All round I felt a lot more stable and I'm no longer fighting with my inside ski each time I turn left. Many thanks for the SMIM Max_501. I will work on staying forward over the next couple of months or so (next week = 4 credit cards worth of plastic under each heel and see where I go from there) and take a further video inc. Super Phantom in the Autumn. One other thing that I was more aware of today as a result of being more forward was a definite pivoting at a slow speed. Now that I can feel this I can hopefully counter it.
Indoorski

Postby Max_501 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:36 am

Indoorski wrote:Many thanks for the SMIM Max_501.

Keep in mind that while you do need to get forward it may not be your SMIM. Could be tipping. But if you work on both as part of building a Super Phantom you should be headed in the right direction.

Where did you get the idea to tape credit cards to your boots to adjust fore/aft? That does not sound safe to me.
Max_501

Next

Return to Movement Analysis and Video