mogul skis for pmts bump skiing ?

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

mogul skis for pmts bump skiing ?

Postby Darren » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:39 am

Was thinking of getting a pair of mogul skis K2 mamba skis 97/66/82 in 163 cm or 173 cm for skiing the bumps. I m 5 ft 9 180 lbs
Which would work better for mogul skiing head SS i speed or a bump specific ski for skiing pmts the bumps ? Would the difference be large enough to justify getting a bump specific ski / Though the bump ski is a lot less expensive & might not lose its camber as fast saving my other skis ? Thanks Darren
Darren

Re: mogul skis for pmts bump skiing ?

Postby Max_501 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:54 pm

Dedicated mogul skis are designed for competition style mogul skiing that uses a technique optimized for hammering the zipperline. My guess is that ski has a radius around 20m. If you are an expert PMTS skier owning all of the Essentials with the strength and reflexes to ski the zipperline then a demo should answer the question of how well it will work with PMTS movements in the bumps.

If you don't OWN all of the Essentials then something closer to 13m will likely be a better choice.
Max_501

Postby Darren » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:20 pm

Thanks Max
Darren

Postby Vailsteve » Sat May 04, 2019 8:14 pm

Harb ski shop (HSS) might be carrying the Blossom White Out ski next season. I have the Hart Pulse, which is the same ski as the Blossom Sonora and very similar to the White Out. Blossom/Hart makes a wonderful bump ski.... I take mine everywhere at Vail. Great ski for off piste and bumps. HIGHLY recommended.
Vailsteve

Postby Max_501 » Sun May 05, 2019 1:25 pm

IMO the White Out isn't a great choice for PMTS style bump skiing. Too wide for that.
Max_501

Postby ErikCO » Sun May 05, 2019 3:41 pm

I would very much second Max on the White Out not being a good PMTS bump ski, especially for learning. I find it way too stiff, in addition to being too wide. If you are a much better skier than I am, it wouldn't matter much, but if you mess up your flexion timing just a little, the ski will throw you all over the place. Basically, in this area, as in most areas, if you have to ask what ski you should be using, the answer is almost certainly an iSS Speed, or comparable.

*edit

Thought I'd throw out there that I really enjoy skiing bumps on my 12.5m iSL's. While I can ski them on something with a larger radius (i've done 14m and 17m skis) the shorter skis and shorter radius makes it easier to enjoy the skiing, at least IMHO.
ErikCO

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon May 06, 2019 6:44 am

Max_501 wrote:IMO the White Out isn't a great choice for PMTS style bump skiing. Too wide for that.

I'll second this. The width of the White Out is annoying in bumps (especially the tip, but the whole thing is on the wide side to make it truly practical as a dedicated bump ski).
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby Vailsteve » Tue May 07, 2019 6:37 pm

I will always defer to Max 501 and Heluva on their recommendations re the good ski — or not — for bumps. But I also have skied the older monster 88 and found that to be a pretty fun ski on Wildcard and Baccarat bump runs at Vail. That ski is 88 underfoot versus the 77 underfoot of my Hart Pulse.

It is very probable I am not doing true PMTS turns on bumps, so I would need to get video and get real feedback from the experts on this forum. I do feel that the Pulse has a great flex pattern and I don’t seem to have any problem tipping them on edge — even at 77 underfoot. This ski can really rip and carve on groomed runs, is easy to brush, and it cuts through the chopped stuff quite nicely.

Anyway. Just my two cents. I like this ski. But I would always listen to Max and Greg.
Vailsteve

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue May 07, 2019 8:06 pm

FWIW, I own the Pulse as well and I prefer that in bumps over the White Out... Overall the Pulse is softer, the tip is narrower and the tail profile releases better. The White Out is more reactive to tipping though... so there is a trade off.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Return to Gear