Alignment help

Alignment help

Postby Cerulean » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:48 pm

Hello,

I just discovered PMTS a couple months ago and have read this forum enough to learn that proper alignment is step #1.
I have plans to get the full Harb-certified alignment at the start of next season- the problem is that I have one ski trip left this season. I recorded a video on dryland/slantboard in the hopes that someone can give me a few tips to try with credit cards/duct tape, to make my trip more enjoyable and less painful on my knees.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YsOqo85Rg9_tT-W_O-cEirFOrIKawa54/view?usp=sharing

Personally I feel that my right leg is naturally twisted to the outside, evident when standing, lying down, and just looking at my it. I think I have knock-kneed alignment on both legs.

I've done some on-snow assessment as well, but couldn't record because I mostly ski alone. Without correction, skiing one-footed down the fall line results in significant foot roll to the inside and my entire line veers that way. One footed traverses were much harder on the LTE than the BTE.

I have experimented with credit cards under the inside boot heels, which did help the one-footed fall line and traverses. It felt better during skiing, but feelings can be inaccurate.

I only have the stock footbeds that came with the boot, though my bootfitter said that given how low my arches are and that the stock footbed was above average, I could go without. (not sure if I trust him)

In short- just how much duct tape should I use to hold me over until I can get aligned? Or am I a hopeless case?

Thanks!
Cerulean

Re: Alignment help

Postby h.harb » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:30 pm

First, I applaud your efforts with the slant board, well done. The most immediately noticeable issue is your cuffs are too close to the medial side of your legs. After that is corrected base alignment can be addressed.
h.harb

Postby Cerulean » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:36 pm

Welp, I may be out of luck... I think my cuffs were already set as far in as they go. Here is a picture of the cuff adjuster:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a0H4BIWv8hooz7xi-sBuf1tYixlm5WT0/view?usp=sharing

Previously they were set to the bottom position ( '0' ). I cranked them to the top ( '+' ). It's hard to see the difference, but I believe that lowered the outside cuff by a few mm, the opposite of what I want.

Before: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nc5oHwlkBvI5xog6pWn8YH_tT1Zn1onU
After: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oeJGwLvvo_zc9nDDsJFTmiBnQrjeSCD4
Standing slightly flexed.

Now I'm scared that I wasted $600 on my first pair of ski boots... :(
Cerulean

Postby Cerulean » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:24 pm

As for the slant board, thanks. You gotta do what you gotta do when you love skiing so much. Worked through pretty much your whole video series on that seat cushion!
Cerulean

Postby h.harb » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:20 am

You want equal space on the inside of the leg as outside. It's not complicated. You are close. After that, you can dial in your bottom canting.
h.harb

Postby Cerulean » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:42 pm

Thanks Harald- the cuffs are tipped inside as far as they can go. These boots (Head Vector Evo 120) only have a single adjuster with limited range.

I'll have to tough it out until I can get someone to modify the cuffs.
Cerulean

Postby h.harb » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:39 pm

For those with cuff issues, we have manufactured inserts to the adjustment mechanisms that allow further adjustments to cuffs than what the manufacturers provide.
h.harb

Return to Movement Analysis and Video