MA request for lsem

MA request for lsem

Postby lsem » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:58 am

Hello!

This is my first post on the forum. Sorry for just few turns of one type, hope it can be used for MA. I can record drills on request if needed. I do spent time on drills, just don't have footage of them.

I've been practicing MPTS for two seasons guided mostly by books and videos.
First season I spent mostly on practicing one footed skiing, balance, brushed turns.
Few month ago I ordered Essentials of Skiing book and now more insterested in carving turns (I read Carving medness thread but since I plan to try some racing next season now I'm trying to learn how to carve).

Personally, I see next problems with these turns: less tipping of free foot then stance foot, inconsistent pull back (I feel that pulling back in low position with locked edges is harder just after transition than closer to the end of the turn) but what bothers me most is wide stance. While I have super narrow (may be too narrow) stance in brushed turns, in carving the stance is wide. I really try to keep feet narrower but once I start bending inside leg in the knee, ski goes away from stance ski by shorter radius, not sure if this is correct mechanics. Apart from that it looks like inside leg goes to much forward even when try to pull it back.

It also worth to note that this type of my turns is evolution of power-release progression where this wide stance and inside leg forward effects where more dramatic and what I really do is trying to convert power-release to skiing. To be honest, I'm not sure I understand the difference between power-release performed by HeluvaSkier and Diana where they have not so wide stance as in Essentials and where they have strong pull back. Without title "Power Release" I would not notice it is not real skiing. Did I miss something about that, what is the difference?

Also, I'm not sure if I side-load inside ski correctly, seems like it brushes in the beginning of the turn. Finally, there is no solid LTE release first, I think I have it better in brushed turns but with carving I have not worked on this yet.

While the season is almost over in Ukraine I still have few week-ends in this season to improve before I go to Hintertux 2-nd camp, just want to fix everything I can on my own to progress better at camp.

Appreciate your comments.

lsem

Re: MA request for lsem

Postby noobSkier » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:39 pm

Looks like there is too much weight on the inside ski. Could be alignment related.
noobSkier

Postby lsem » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:04 pm

@noobSkier, thanks for comments. Next time I will try to lift inside ski in the turn, but based on my feelings I feel rather opposite. I feel a lot of pressure purely on outside ski and no weight at all on inside ski. I have custom footbeds made by PMTS technician. I've spent some time on self MA and below is what I think about this footage now.

It now looks like it is incorrect approach to carving. What I do here is I bend inside leg so it gets disconnected from the snow; we can see also how inside ski steers into the turn with no hinging and side loading. There is also lack of pull back, when I pull foot back I often feel like I'm pulling it up and back rather than sliding ski back. This also contributes to steering of inside ski. Lack of hinging makes inside ski tipping difficult which leads to less tipping of inside ski than outside ski (on that slope I also rush carving outside leg in order to not sideslip, the slope is icy underneath with some layer of refrozen and re-groomed snow above, quite slippery). This is how I see first few turns are made but this must be a problem for other turns as well.

I also see inability to finish a turn on LTE of uphill ski so I think I can try super phantom in flexed position. Still lot of bad movements, really try hard to figure out how to make this turns.
Looking forward for more comments.
lsem

Postby dewdman42 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:44 pm

I'm not PMTS certified, but I agree with Noob. I'd attach some frame grabs but I can't find a way to do it. Look at 0:13-15. You're weight is clearly on the inside ski, the outside ski is not engaging, its slipping away from you...by 0:15 you fall into a forward lunge on the inside ski finally due to lack of engagement on the outside stance ski, though right about there as you line up with gravity you do manage to get pressure back onto the outside ski for the very end of the turn.

focus on super phantom drills.
dewdman42

Postby Max_501 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:34 am

Taking video for MA:

Video at least 5 turns of the front, as the skier approaches, and then at least 5 turns from back, as the subject skis away. Pan smoothly as the subject passes keeping the skier in frame so we can see a side view. Use the zoom and OIS features if your camera has them. I suggest a max of 10x-12x zoom which will help with image stability. Disable the digital zoom in the camera menu. If your camera has an optical zoom that exceeds 10-12x try to find a function that locks the zoom at 10x (or as close as you can get).
Max_501

Postby RRT » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:16 am

lsem wrote: There is also lack of pull back, when I pull foot back I often feel like I'm pulling it up and back rather than sliding ski back. This also contributes to steering of inside ski. Lack of hinging makes inside ski tipping difficult which leads to less tipping of inside ski than outside ski (on that slope I also rush carving outside leg in order to not sideslip, the slope is icy underneath with some layer of refrozen and re-groomed snow above, quite slippery). This is how I see first few turns are made but this must be a problem for other turns as well.

You had me scurrying to the thread on "Scissoring" and it's associated issues, particularly as it pertains to the disadvantages of lack of foot pullback and weighting of the inside foot. Type "scissoring" into the Search field for lots of insight.
RRT

Postby noobSkier » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:43 pm

Isem,

For the time being, I would suggest setting your cuffs to +. See if that makes a difference!
noobSkier

Postby h.harb » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:49 pm

The approach to high-end world-class skiing is to learn to do brushed carved turns. The approach here isn't going to move you forward. The best technical skiers develop balance before they tip the ski to an edge. Brushed carved turns require you learn to balance on the new stance ski while it is still on the LTE. Take this to the bank evaluators! And read my post about the Blossom skis.
h.harb

Postby lsem » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:59 am

Thanks everyone for your replies.

@noobSkier Thank you, I will wait for the camp to check by boots, I did some cuff adjustments following HSS video but I'm not competent.

@Harald, Thank you, I read post about Blossom skis, got your point, you are right, I agree that turns are not initiated with foot tipping that's why I posted video with questions how to do it right.

@RTT, thank you for scissoring tip, I've not known about this mistake.

Ok I'm taking step back and will try to record proper video with attempt to do brushed carved turns, super phantom, tipping abilities.

To be honest I don't understand why attempt to do edge locked carving turns seems like to be discouraged here, I just have carving sections in the books, I like it, I admire how you guys do it and that's why I'm trying to do what I can't yet, learn important part of ski technique. Just can't figure out how this turn is made. I have not tried it for two years since the beginning of learning PMTS, have been working on drills on balance, upper body coordination and at some moment thought I have some skills to do some carving too.
lsem

Postby Max_501 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:16 am

lsem wrote:To be honest I don't understand why attempt to do edge locked carving turns seems like to be discouraged here, I just have carving sections in the books, I like it, I admire how you guys do it and that's why I'm trying to do what I can't yet, learn important part of ski technique. Just can't figure out how this turn is made. I have not tried it for two years since the beginning of learning PMTS, have been working on drills on balance, upper body coordination and at some moment thought I have some skills to do some carving too.

It's not that we discourage edge locked carving, in fact most of us think its a ton of fun. The problem is that many readers don't take the time to build the fundamentals needed to carve properly. If a student starts with page 1 of Book 1 and masters each section before moving to the next they have a much higher chance of success when they get to the carving section located towards the end of Book 2.
Max_501

Postby noobSkier » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:24 pm

To add to that, there is much less speed control in edge locked carving which makes meaningful progress very difficult... probably next to impossible for most (without proper progressions).
noobSkier

Postby lsem » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:37 am

Ok, that was not easiest snow to ski but it might be even better since mistakes are easily visible. I also limited with slope gradients since other slopes are in much worse conditions.

Can you tell me what is my SMIM? May be I will have day or two here to improve.

I trained transfer to LTE for few hours, using drill from Short Turns video, presented by Diana.

UPD: Uploaded also video where I attempt to do Phantom, now I think I should have found gentle slope for this, but may be this will be useful for MA:

It was harder than usual to keep balance in this wet snow.
Sorry if the quality of material for MA is bad and may be irritates you, that what I have now.
Last edited by lsem on Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lsem

Postby dewdman42 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:13 pm

you are not flexing to release. You have an up move and upper-rotary driving the init of every turn. Your phantom move is late and not doing much for you in this video.

Go back to the basics, at super slow speed, balance on your new stance ski, make the phantom move and wait there for the skis to turn without an up move or upper-rotary.

I look forward to hearing from Harald or other PMTS certified about your SMIM, but I think you have obviously been skiing a long time and you have ingrained patterns that you will need to eradicate before you can even begin to experience what PMTS can do for you. It will be difficult for you and will take a long time because of those ingrained patterns. you will have to slow it way way down and experience that raw and simple phantom move without up moves and rotary to drive the turn init.
dewdman42

Postby Max_501 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:30 am

Very good video for MA, thanks for posting.

For the super phantom (SP) move you are lifting the outside ski higher than needed and there has been a refinement in the SP where the tip is lifted before the tail. This thread covers the tip lift refinement:

New stuff from PMTS, refined stuff from PMTS!

Note - When lifting the outside foot to start the SP its important to keep the inside leg from extending.

Things to work on -

1) Start the SP by lifting the tip of the ski

2) Flexing - during the release keep the inside leg from extending while the outside foot is lifted by bending/flexing the outside leg

3) Increase tipping through the arc

4) More CA and hold CA through the release

5) Work on including the pelvis for CA and CB

The Pelvis in Counterbalancing

Here's an old post from HH regarding different types of extension.

h.harb wrote:We have identified with our trainers and coaches in our training this season, 5 forms of extension. Yes, it's not just the big toe push off extension that screws up your skiing. It's also trying to move your hips forward, that's an extension, extending off and up from your little toe edge, extending off a flat ski, extending from an edged ski in the arc. Even extending with your edged little toe ski on the snow in the arc, is detrimental. Every form of extension has, not only a negative impact on your skiing balance, but a debilitating one to your success. PMTS never sleeps and never stops evolving, because we learn from every student that comes through our teaching system. We incorporate fixes and movement improvements that we develop and use for every single student to our system, when we see methods creating breakthroughs.

With the PMTS method we create balancing movements, and movements that keep you in balance, in every phase of the arc and transition. All other systems create movements and maneuvers that push you out of balance, with this you are constantly trying to recover in every turn. I never want to ski like that.
Max_501

Postby lsem » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:57 pm

Thank you very much! I think I got all your points, now I realize this "wimpled" extension, I also feel how I cannot create enough CA and I definitely do not incorporate pelvis in CB. Meanwhile I found gentle slope and recorded more cleaner version of my Phantom; it was before I read your last reply so it is basically the same, same execution as previous one:
. Will be working in on proper SP.

One more question I would like to ask is regarding transfer to LTE. However hard I tried I cannot get more or less clear O-frame (not half-O) during transition and each time I transfer weight to new stance ski it feels like it almost flattens. However I noticed I can do it if I transfer weight more gradually in transition, i.e. I put some weight on new stance ski but not everything keeping it weighted, than I can keep it tipped while starting tipping new free foot. In this case I feel and I can see this on the video -- slightly bowlegged stance. The question is, is it any correct? or may be it has some usage but not as general rule or I just need to forget about it and never do it again.

Here is a video, where I believe it was captured (I've added freeze-frame in the end of video). Video rather for demonstrating this type of transition, please ignore my carving efforts, I know that is not good and not on time, I just wanted to take a look at my little experiments with more tipping-driven, narrower stance edge locked turns:

Last edited by lsem on Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lsem

Next

Return to Movement Analysis and Video