Egon Hierzegger

Friends get together

Egon Hierzegger

Postby noobSkier » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:20 pm

Bernd and Berger get alot of love around here, how about some Egon?!

noobSkier

Re: Egon Hierzegger

Postby Roundturns » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:42 pm

I'm tired just watching that. Can you imagine somebody being able to ski like that all day?
Roundturns

Postby oggy » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:46 am

That channel is pretty awesome. Another one from the same era, Martin Gugganig (sadly, he too is dead):

Around the 2:00 mark it starts getting a bit ridiculous.
oggy

Postby noobSkier » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:05 pm

Man, I didn't know Martin had passed :( Anyone know how it happened? Egon is still kicking around! He runs a mountain somewhere in Austria. I feel like that Martin clip doesn't do his skiing justice. This is my fav of Martin, I love that classic Austrian BPST...look at that finesse in the bumps...unreal.

noobSkier

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:18 am

Timeless.

Interesting how the Japanese and Koreans took this skiing to heart, which eventually made its way down to Reilly..without the bullshit from TTS groups, you can clearly see vision and brilliance of PMTS. Finally, someone has unlocked the secret that will make you ski like these guys...
go_large_or_go_home

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:56 am

I've always been fascinated by looking at 'old school' skiing like this and comparing to now... So little has changed in terms of what the best skiers are doing. PSIA has always demonstrated inferior skiing, while touting to their membership that they were the best in the world. Places like YouTube that give access to video clips that would have only been seen in Europe in their era are beginning to clearly expose that the emperor never had any clothes to begin with. The video below is a quick trip down memory lane... the PSIA 'standard' was inferior back then (compare with any of the videos above or names mentioned [Bernd Greber for example])...

The difference was made worse by the emergence of shaped skis and PSIA's decision to throw out what Austrian schools had known for decades in favor of the wide stance, extend and rotate path (not to mention the choice by the PSIA board to focus on the Guest-Centered-Teaching model over Primary Movements... I think this happened in the mid-90's after Centerline Standard was abandoned). U.S. ski teaching still has not recovered and is decades away from closing the gap to the rest of the world, and it shows in the U.S. Ski Team's inability to actually make a turn smaller than 40m.

PSIA 1988: Sadly these guys are actually BETTER than most of today's demo team...
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:51 pm

This is quite interesting....

Even with the great skiers, there seems to be a disconnect between what they teach and how they ski..found this froM Richard Berger:

Apart from anything else, there are all sorts of horrible alignment issues going on...the second video sees him skiing more like normal..(about 2:55 onwards...)

Why is there a disconnect? I can see no link between what he teaches and how ‘he’ really skis. This seems to be universal apart from with pmts.
go_large_or_go_home

Postby oggy » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:23 pm

What Berger presents in the video is basically the current Austrian teaching progression. You're supposed to go from wedge to Christies to parallel extension to eliminating the extension at the highest levels (mostly by magic I suppose). Flexing to release is recognized a thing but it's reserved only for moguls and powder and is absolutely verboten on the piste for some reason. On the positive side, they do teach outside ski balance, a bit of (late) counter acting, a wrist pole tap, and don't force you in a wide stance. Many of their top instructors CAN actually ski quite well, but how they got there, I'm not sure to be honest.
oggy

Postby alex_aku » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:07 pm

My 5 cents from Europe and Austria.

I have met, seen and skied with a number of instructors who can ski everything and very well. The problem is two-fold:
- that the teaching system is still to 99,99% the old one with wedgy christie, push-off, etc. They don't teach release, boot-touch, inside leg at all.
- that most of instructors cannot explain how and what to improve. As oggy said, I don't know how they got to their level of skiing. And after attending numerous courses and made virtually no progress. The clues and tips they give are so vague, imprecise or just misleading - the classical "keep the upper body stable, turned to the bottom".

That's what brought me to PMTS - it just works. Essentials are just a few, clues as to which muscles to contract when are clear, drills and their rationale are easy grasp and the effect is immediate. I can also self-monitor myself and if I screw up a turn I mostly at least suspect what I did wrong. Plus the value of this forum is invaluable.

I've seen some visitors commenting the PMTS crowd is like a cult or religion - maybe, but I don't care, if this religion empirically works and othes don't, why not follow it. Skiing just ~12 days a season I still improved immensily in just a few seasons.

A
alex_aku

Postby noobSkier » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:02 pm

If good skiing is a cult then sign me up!
noobSkier

Return to Social Chatting