MA request Jeet 2019

MA request Jeet 2019

Postby Jeet » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:08 am

Hi Guys,

I have been to two Hintertux camps 2017 and 2018. Since the last camp my SMIM was Counteracting. I had a break through on the very last run of the very last day of camp, where Diana high fived my run and she said "that was it". However, after this run it was time to go home :). Because it was my last run I was unable to repeat and really get a memory of how to achieve this movement, until I skied again in my local indoor centre. In this run I am trying to slow it down and create rounded turns with a focus on counteracting.

The other thing I notice is the lack of cb on my right turns compared to my left turns, I have been working on this but cannot seem to get the same range of cb (maybe a mixture of more practice, flexibility and a bit of alignment )

I would be great full if you guys could give me feedback to see if I am getting counteracting, if I am if I need more or maybe another movement deficiency you see in my skiing.

If anyone is going the 2nd camp in Hintertux in 2019, I will see you there.

Jeet

Re: MA request Jeet 2019

Postby Max_501 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:29 am

More work on CA. Include the pelvis as part of the movement for CA and CB.
Max_501

Postby ToddW » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:39 am

Jeet,

Try skiing without poles or doing inside or double pole drag. It looks like your pole tap isn’t helping your CA. If you ditch the poles, you can do the angry mother :)
ToddW

Postby Jeet » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:59 am

@Max. Thank you for your input much appreciated.

@Todd - Looks like more work on double pole drag, angry mother and avoiding the tap.

Thank you both.

Jeet
Jeet

Postby Jeet » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:01 pm

Please can you let me know of there is any progress with ca including the hip. Any comments would be greatly appreciated

Jeet

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:44 pm

Hey Jeet,

Overall you skiing has all the essentials in place. Quite a rare sight in the Alps - believe me...

However, on that 2nd video of you in La Plagne, it looks like you have a mismatch in CA between your left and right turns. With all of your turns to the left you are finishing the turn square on your skis. As a result a little extension has crept into your transition - probably the only way that you can get the skis to subsequently release. It is very subtle - remember, anything other than a flex to release is consisdered an extension.

I have suffered this season with a restriction in mobility in my left hip compared to my right - combination of age and i sit down for hours with my job - airline pilot, which shortens my hip flexors and twists my pelvis slightly.. The result, not enough CA ability in my left turns compared to my right...the only remedy, hip mobility exercises. See here:

This guy is a genius, just type Kelly Starrett and hip, shoulder, knee etc into YouTube....

CA comes from the hips...without full range, you will be to make adaptive movements to compensate..I have a great book I can send you a Dropbox link to that will help you increase range of motion in all your major joints..are you UK based?
go_large_or_go_home

Postby Jeet » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:32 am

Thank you for your comments and sharing the video. I spent an hour doing those mobility excercises today. I guess i will have to do them religously everyday for it to make a noticable difference in my skiing. I will keep practising ca together with a flex to release and tip lifting.

I do live in the UK any more info you can share via drop box will be greatly appreciated. Hintertux camp is coming up so i will get some advice there too. I posted here so i can hopefully get ahead of the game.

Once again, thanks for taking time to comment.
Jeet

Postby oggy » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:47 pm

Hey Jeet,

overall that's nice skiing. A couple of things that I can observe in addition to what go large wrote, perhaps it can help. On your turns to the left, the timing of the CA seems a bit off to me. You have a lot by the fall line - perhaps even too much, and then lose it by the transition. I think I can see a tiny push at the top of the turn - it could be related. Maybe experiment with the timing a bit. Also, the tipping seems to stop somewhat at the end of the turn.
oggy

Postby Jeet » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:56 am

Hi oggy,

Thank your for your input and comments. I will experiment with the ca timing and and practise continous tipping without any static or dead points.
Jeet

Postby ToddW » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:54 pm

Jeet,

Harald entitled one of the essentials videos "The Complete Upper Body." I suggest you take a short break from CA and try retain the CA you have gained while focusing on the complete upper body for your left footers. Goal 1: CB earlier. Goal 2: CB more and continuously through the turn. Your CB limits on left footers are probably why you stop tipping partway through your turns to the right -- what happens at the top of the turn has consequences for the whole turn.

You're familiar with boot touch, Schlopy, and pole drag exercises to help CB. They each have variants that help CB and CA simultaneously. Devote some time to whichever ones have produced the best results for you in the past.
ToddW

Postby Jeet » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:56 am

Hi Todd,

Thanks again for your input. Really appreciated. I will do just that, focus on CB on the left footers to help with continuous tipping. This gives me a focus till camp. I will post another video once I feel I have made some progress with drills and the movement.

Jeet
Jeet

Return to Movement Analysis and Video