MA from Luke

Re: MA from Luke

Postby Max_501 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:36 am

Jjmdane wrote:Try experimenting with a slightly wider stance to encourage more tipping and prevent the heel push at the end or the turn.

How will a wider stance for this skier help promote tipping while preventing a heel push?
Max_501

Postby RRT » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:10 pm

lukezhang wrote:Slow turns with surprised ungroomed session in the middle

Luke,

My suggestion here has to do with more of an analysis of your overall approach which I believe is restricting your progress. To compare, take a look at your "slow turns" with the turns being used by another skier new to PMTS in the following video. Also, please notice the degree of the slope used by the skier compared to that in your latest video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... snbP4RlNeA

There is a tendency for those new to PMTS to try to jump ahead of actual PMTS skills capabilities. That is what restricts progression. Try isolating a singular specific PMTS skill (tipping in your case) by going from side to side, i.e, doing simple garlands without turns on an easy slope while lifting and tipping the free foot. Check the videos for specific instruction on just how that alone is done and (I know it's not your favorite) take a look back at Expert Skier 1. Both will help ground you as to where it all starts, what needs to be mastered first and how it flows from there. That approach will highlight weaknesses at the very start of the PMTS skills progression. It will also better help contributors in the forum to make pinpoint suggestions whether its time to back up some in the progression and just how to do that, or if it is time to step forward some in the progression and how to do that.

Anything as good as PMTS is going to take time even if we wish it would happen overnight. Once that fact has been learned and accepted, then real progression can begin.
RRT

Postby oggy » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:47 am

Hi Luke,
slowing down in your last video makes it more clear what's going on. The turn mechanics on the turns to your left and the turns to your right are quite different (see if you can spot the differences). Unfortunately, as others have pointed out, neither of them are PMTS turns (though turns to your left show some tipping). Watch carefully the (whole!) video here and figure out which kinds of turns resemble yours:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH50bo4hPQ8

If you want to make PMTS turns, the first step is to build a PMTS release, which is where the Expert Skier 1 book can bring you. But it's unlikely that you'll be able to build it on the type of slopes or the tempo that you showed in the video (e.g., I tried but failed). You'll need to start easier than that.

Good luck!
oggy

Postby Jjmdane » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:06 pm

Clearly the stance he is using is not encouraging increased tipping and by having a stance that enables more independent foot and ankle action he may experience the tipping action he is striving for. I said wider than what he had been using, not wide in the absolute. It is relative. Sometimes one has to exaggerate to integrate a new and different move.
Jjmdane

Postby Max_501 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:22 pm

Jjmdane wrote:Clearly the stance he is using is not encouraging increased tipping and by having a stance that enables more independent foot and ankle action he may experience the tipping action he is striving for.

Where did you get the concept that a narrow stance blocks tipping?
Max_501

Postby noobSkier » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:31 pm

My observations: narrow stance makes tipping easier, but it also makes tipping the wrong way easier (i.e "fake tipping"). I think in the cases where a (slightly) wider stance was recommended was with the purpose to make tipping MORE difficult in order to break faulty movement patterns. I could be off base here, feel free to correct.
noobSkier

Postby Max_501 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:39 pm

noobSkier wrote:I think in the cases where a (slightly) wider stance was recommended was with the purpose to make tipping MORE difficult in order to break faulty movement patterns. I could be off base here, feel free to correct.

Not that I'm aware of.

It is true that a locked stance can be a problem but that is not the issue here.
Max_501

Postby Jjmdane » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:46 pm

There was no concept put forth that a narrow stance blocks tipping. That is a leap. The point is that varying ones stance can sometimes change default patterns that are incorrect.
Jjmdane

Postby lukezhang » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:15 pm

Thank you all for the advice. My self diagnosis is that the strength and balance on my right leg is weak. Tipping on left LTE needs improvement. All these cause the turn to the left is poor. The upper body rotation in the end of left turn affected CA.
lukezhang

Postby noobSkier » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:57 pm

lukezhang,

The truth is both turns are weak from a PMTS perspective. Tipping is your SMIM and if you skip steps it will never happen. Tipping is as much muscular as it is technical...you get better and stronger at it over time but only with the appropriate practice (sloooooow).
noobSkier

Postby Max_501 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:05 pm

Jjmdane wrote:The point is that varying ones stance can sometimes change default patterns that are incorrect.

What is the source for that concept? Has HH written about this somewhere?
Max_501

Postby noobSkier » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:10 pm

Lukezhang,

Have a look at this skier I've been coaching. In less than a week he's got the basics of tipping down. And yes, we spent the entire time at this speed, at this pitch. When we pick up speed, we stop and reset.

This clip is especially instructive because you can see with your own eyes that his tipping gets worse as speed picks up.

noobSkier

Postby lukezhang » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:33 pm

Tipping is actually fairly easy to practice. CA is much harder to get right because you need to be relaxed to get hip socket loose but also use muscle to hold CA. Now back to what I am trying to accomplish. What I am focused on is snappy brush short turns. Tipping on a medium or long turn is easier. Quick snappy short turns need everything to be right, especially body must be in balance position so that tipping can start a turn. For me the balance on my right foot is poor. The tendency is to get too back to the slope thus it's very hard to start a new turn just with tipping. Anyway you can have a difference point view.
lukezhang

Postby noobSkier » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:39 pm

lukezhang,

Tipping is the foundation of PMTS. Nothing works without it. Ask yourself this: If it's so easy to practice, why is your skiing not showing any?
noobSkier

Postby Max_501 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:42 pm

lukezhang wrote:What I am focused on is snappy brush short turns.

You are jumping too far ahead. First you need all of the PMTS essentials in place. See my earlier posts on what to work on if your goal is a PMTS BPST (bullet proof short turn).
Max_501

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video