Another Great (Video) Example of the Success of PMTS

PMTS Forum

Another Great (Video) Example of the Success of PMTS

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:18 am

Many who participate here may not follow Harald or I on FB, however I thought the forum would enjoy this post that came up today. The skiing in the below video is a FIS racer who made the decision at 15/16 years old to rebuild his skiing using 100% PMTS in order to become a better racer and skier. I've worked with him and his father/coach on snow for 4 (or so) seasons now and the video is a compilation of runs over a few seasons. The dedication, determination and motivation shown by both the skier and his coach (his father) are pretty impressive and obviously producing some great results. As with all PMTS skiing, this is just the beginning! THIS is the power of the combination of the RIGHT coaching and a dedicated athlete.

Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Re: Another Great (Video) Example of the Success of PMTS

Postby geezer skier » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:58 pm

Not quite Heluvaskier-but close. How about Heckuvaskier? :lol: :lol: :lol:
geezer skier

Postby mark_l » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:15 pm

A really motivating story with excellent results. The article (http://www.effectiveskiing.com/wiki/car ... eat_skiers) really encouraged me to take on the long process and pain of rebuilding my skiing, which it is made quite an undertaking since I'm in England and so must use up my scarce skiing holiday time doing drills and figuring things out/unlearning ingrained movements. However big and regressive the initial starting point feels though, progress is addictive when it comes.

I've actually found the early 'work in progress' videos useful (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G408p6XFGp4 & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7unTduI7c). While obviously not a reference for technique(!) seeing Blue Jacket very deliberately go about incorporating certain movements and then seeing how they then start to come together and begin to show promise for what the skiing should look like has made understanding the concepts in the books easier for me.
mark_l

Postby ErikCO » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:05 pm

Mark, sorry that you don't get much time on snow. As I think I have posted in another thread, I found PMTS in ~2003 and spent the next 2 years primarily on green/easy blue slopes. I credit a lot of where I am now as a skier to those two years spent focusing on one footed balance, erasing rotation/extension, and tipping. One thing you will find is that once you get started going down that road, doing the drills and movement practice actually becomes fun. The sensation of skiing with less effort and letting your skis do the work for you is addicting. So keep at it. It is totally worth it!
ErikCO

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:14 am

mark_l wrote:A really motivating story with excellent results.

Hi Mark,

I'm glad you found this inspirational and useful. Most skiers never make the decision to 'break' their skiing and then rebuild it using the 'right' inputs. It is a tough thing to do. It means giving up powder days, hero-snow groomer zooming and skiing at a ‘high’ level like you always have in the past. It means giving up turns with friends, and probably receiving some sneering from them as they cruise by you while you practice slow drills on the side of green groomer (blue piste for you). Many here (Max_501, jbotti, ErikCO, me, etc.) have dedicated themselves to going through the same process. When a skier emerges out of this transformation the sneering stops and the conversation from peers becomes: “How do you ski like that!?”

For this skier it also meant skipping races, staying out of gates, not playing in the trees and off-piste on family vacations, etc. Even as recently as last spring he spent an entire weekend after his race season was over without making a single ‘actual’ turn because he couldn’t CA from the pelvis (so we did CA drills for an entire weekend). Beginning tomorrow I’ll have 4 consecutive days on snow with him and we will spend some of the time ripping turns, but most of it will be focused on adding discipline around a number of movements that need to improve.

Most skiers are not willing to do this. Most skiers—especially, if they skied like this skier—would never contemplate showing up for a 4-day mid-season tune-up of their skiing when they were already the best skier on their mountain(s). It takes a certain amount of internal drive to not only achieve this level in the first place, but to stay at this level while continuing to improve.

Despite limited snow time, in some ways you're lucky in that you have access to Hintertux, where HSS holds their spring camps. If you want to be sure you're on the right track through your journey, this is a must-do.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:33 pm

I have repeated this many times on this forum, but it is worth repeating. Micheal Jordon was asked, "What is the biggest thing in your life that contributed to your success?" His answer, "Compete and unshaken confidence and trust in my coach."

This means an athlete has to know that the coach will make him better if he dedicates himself to listening. Few athletes have this much confidence in a coach. As well the coach has to inspire the athlete enough to develop that trust.
h.harb

Postby mark_l » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:05 am

Thanks for your encouraging words guys.

ErikCO wrote:Mark, sorry that you don't get much time on snow. As I think I have posted in another thread, I found PMTS in ~2003 and spent the next 2 years primarily on green/easy blue slopes. I credit a lot of where I am now as a skier to those two years spent focusing on one footed balance, erasing rotation/extension, and tipping. One thing you will find is that once you get started going down that road, doing the drills and movement practice actually becomes fun. The sensation of skiing with less effort and letting your skis do the work for you is addicting. So keep at it. It is totally worth it!

Luckily working to improve at things I enjoy is usually interesting for me. I think skiing is similar to some other technical sports where when working hard at something you suddenly have aware moments where it starts to work as it should which feels amazing and you start thinking “how great would it be if it could be like that every time?”

I’m also fortunate in that I was at least was put on skis when I was young (4 years old) when my family were over in Norway for a couple of years before being a one week a year Brit. This seems to count for a lot in very technical sports.

HeluvaSkier wrote:Despite limited snow time, in some ways you're lucky in that you have access to Hintertux, where HSS holds their spring camps. If you want to be sure you're on the right track through your journey, this is a must-do.

Indeed, that is definitely something I will make happen as soon as finances allow.
mark_l

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System