This is Cool....

Friends get together

Re: This is Cool....

Postby BrettBPotter » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:11 pm

Hyjack or not, this is the best thing thats happened to this Social Chat group in a year.
Jus saying
BrettBPotter

Postby HeluvaSkier » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:10 am

I've always been of the mindset that there are three levels of conversation...

1) About people
2) About events
3) About ideas

The true value of this forum is in the ideas that are communicated here.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby Vailsteve » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:33 pm

h.harb wrote: Partly to blame is; they have no idea of how to set up their boots, and the second; they are skiing wide skis and they don't know how to tip them with energy from the last turn. This constitutes a need for "more steering of a flat ski" and less ski angle, which is obvious in this video post.

Harald's comment on people/instructors skiing wider skis, with the attendant loss of ability to tip and edge, is, I think, spot on. Almost everyone I see on Vail is skiing 90mm plus skis. And many have rocker-ed tips and tails which just adds to the problem. Times change...

Many people look at the ski patrol as the epitomy of skiing...universally they are on wider skis. But if you look at how they must ski - BIG pizza and side slip to get a toboggan with an injured skier down the mountain, a wider ski can make sense. On multiple occasions I have been the tail gunner holding onto the rope on the end of the rig with a 200 pound guy lying in the toboggan. We side-slipped almost every turn out of necessity.

99.9% of us never have to do this so we don't need a wider ski. Now geoffda, on the other hand, doesn't even know what a wide ski is...I don't think ever gets out of his head iSL's!!
Last edited by Vailsteve on Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vailsteve

Postby SkiMoose » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:55 pm

I don't have too much of a problem with the general population skiing wide skis, and using poor technique. I think these things become a problem when those in a widely respected position (PSIA/USSA), claim to know what they are talking about and steer (pun intended) those who actually are striving to improve their skiing in the completely wrong direction. My dad reported from the Level 1 cert process that many instructors became significantly worse skiers during the exam, all the while being applauded and told they were improving. From what I've seen, this sounds about right. I start to have an issue with it when the PSIA goes to interski representing the entire United States and skis like garbage. This is the significant problem. The PSIA Youtube channel has blessed us with a absolute gem from interski a few years back, some of you have probably seen it ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXqqXl5Qxjc ). But I find it amazing how the speaker (Robin Barnes), says a few things that make at least a little sense in the first 3 minutes, like that they realized that good skiing has to be well defined, and then follows it up by making the most broad and useless statements imaginable. Hopefully Interski 2019 will not be so embarassing...

Follow up statement: I'm not just on here trashing PSIA without improving my own skiing, I understand that you have to walk the walk as Harald does so well. However, my back is hurt right now and I can't ski, so I might as well entertain myself until I can be back on snow! :D
SkiMoose

Postby noobSkier » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:47 pm

I look at it this way and I think it's the right way to look at it: the general skiing population is participating in a different sport with similar, but usually different equipment. Think about it. Most of us are on narrow skis, most of us are in race boots, most of us get extremely rare and specialized alignment work, many of us ski like its our job, and most of us work on something every single run. The best we can do is give skiers reasons why they should participate in our sport instead of letting them know how sh*tty their sport is [guilty as charged]. PSIA instructors are simply teaching a different sport...and as your "sad skiing" video demonstrates, they are damn good at it.
noobSkier

Postby blackthorn » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:11 pm

Heluva says

I've always been of the mindset that there are three levels of conversation...

1) About people
2) About events
3) About ideas

The true value of this forum is in the ideas that are communicated here.

Yes, indeed.
But as the social media phenomenon of these last few years has so clearly shown - people and events appear are important and seem to be in the ascendancy, and hence possibly no less "true" ??!
For me, it has usually been about ideas - and I remain convinced about PMTS.
I would love to see the concepts behind PMTS, and PMTS itself more widely accepted, but it seems to me that so far it has yet to engage hearts and minds/people and events as widely as it deserves.
So - and in the understanding that this is the Social Chatting thread, I really wonder whether 1,2 3 is a hierachical ascendancy. I think we need them all.

Meanwhile for me, I am remain with 3.
blackthorn

Previous

Return to Social Chatting