Blossom White Out, The Multi-Trick Pony

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Re: Blossom White Out, The Multi-Trick Pony

Postby njdiver85 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:50 am

I am looking for a ski to use for inbounds touring in the Northeast. The typical application would be skinning up the hill before the lifts open on a powder day (which for NE standards is maybe 6-12" or so) in order to get a run down. Would also use it occasionally on groomer days to get some exercise in. So looking for something that skis like my Supershape iSpeeds, still rewards PMTS movements, is sold flat for installing a set of touring bindings, and maybe is a little better in deeper snow. The White Out's seem like they would fit the bill, but wanted to seek out any opinions. (Another thought I had was to see if I could remove the Powerrail off an older set of SS iSpeeds that I have and put some touring bindings on those).
njdiver85

Postby noobSkier » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:41 pm

An older SS KERS skis beautifully and the race plate is removable. You can find them for less than 300$ these days.
noobSkier

Postby jbotti » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:05 pm

While I would never think of the White Out as a touring ski (construction is not light weight enough) for what you want it to do it will be solid. I think if you are going pins versus full din touring binding you will be losing some hard snow performance that the ski can produce. It's a very fun ski in 4-10" of snow and it rips hard on groomers.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:56 am

njdiver85 wrote:I am looking for a ski to use for inbounds touring in the Northeast.

Never use a cannon to kill a fly
- Confucius

The White Out is overkill for this application--it is a true hard-snow biased race-bred carver built in a wider format to allow for all-mountain performance at high speeds. An AT boot and binding setup (especially a pinned setup) will never allow you to extract the ski's true performance. Given the price of these skis, you could spend half as much and still get the performance you'll be able to reach given the limitations of the boot and binding setup for this application. The Head Monster Series or V Shape Series might be worth a look--along with anything from your current quiver that is a bit worn out.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby njdiver85 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:35 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I'll have to look at my older supershapes to see if the plate can be removed. That would probably be ideal. Supershape speeds are my entire quiver, a newer pair, and an older set. So if the plate can't be removed on the older set, I'll need to get another ski. Anything new, without a binding, seems to be in a similar price range, whether a Head Monster, V-shape, or Blossom White Out. Just exploring options. Appreciate all the advice.

Regarding the binding, I may go with the new shift which is not a pin binding on the down.
njdiver85

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:56 pm

njdiver85 wrote:I'll have to look at my older supershapes to see if the plate can be removed.

The plate comes off as far as I'm aware. I know the first-generation plate comes off the SuperShape, the current generation plate comes off the i.SL and I believe the plate can be removed from any Head ski that has a PowerRail (e.g. Magnums, Titans, Rallys, etc.).
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby B.Mulligan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:06 am

HeluvaSkier wrote:
njdiver85 wrote:I am looking for a ski to use for inbounds touring in the Northeast.

Never use a cannon to kill a fly
- Confucius

You know he lived 1500 years before the first cannon.... I like the quote, though, and it's well-applied here... and others like it: don't crack a nut with a sledgehammer

http://www.answers.com/Q/What_book_is_d ... quito_from
B.Mulligan

Postby Mikey B » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:33 pm

For those interested, the Whiteout is available now online from Premier Skis in Washington. $750 flat ski plus shipping.
Mikey B

Previous

Return to Gear