MA request for noobSkier

Re: MA request for noobSkier

Postby jbotti » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:15 pm

Some. Bear in mind that where you want and need it most is at the very end of an arc, right into the release and transition.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby noobSkier » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:56 pm

Ok, thanks jbotti. Im trying to increase ROM with dryland exercises. Can I move to linked TFR?
noobSkier

Postby Max_501 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:30 pm

You had some CA at frame 2 but lost it by frame 3.

IMO focus on CA drills until you can CA consistently. Until then working on the release exercises isn't helping much because you are rotating into the turn.
Max_501

Postby noobSkier » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:43 pm

Max_501, is there a good picture of strong CA at the end of a TFR from front angle that I can reference?

edit: physically, it doesn't feel like I lose the CA. Doesn't CA naturally become less apparent at the end of the arc (skis across fall line) even for strong PMTS skiers?
noobSkier

Postby Max_501 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:53 pm

Unfortunately feelings aren't dependable until you have mastered the movements (and even then I prefer to see video). IMO CA is your SMIM. If you are lucky it won't take the 2 years it took jbotti and I to figure out how to create it and hold it through the release.
Max_501

Postby noobSkier » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:04 pm

If I get it in less than 2 years you guys will be forced to give me some credit :lol:
noobSkier

Postby ToddW » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:07 pm

noobSkier,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GPM7gwZwVDU

Watch the man in red. Every time he is stopped with his skis across the slope, that’s what the end of a TFR looks like. He’s simulating the level of CA and other essentials that a learner might exhibit. (He’s capable of much more CA if the turn requires it, say to keep the tails holding on a sheet of ice or to really lay them over.)

Re: losing CA, CA is a continual movement through a turn. It reaches a pronounced maximum at the end of the turn and is held 100% through the release. In the case of a ofr or tfr drill, the CA is held 100% at the end fully stopped since there’s no following turn to connect to. Even retaining the same pelvis and upper body angle relative to the skis through the lower turn is losing CA :shock: since that CA angle should steadily continue to increase.
ToddW

Postby noobSkier » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:18 am

That was a great explanation, thanks ToddW.
noobSkier

Postby tigernbr » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:51 am

Have you tried some stretches to increase your ROM? I was cursed with my family's bad lower back genetics. I have to carefully stretch the muscles in my quads, glutes, lower back and the piriformis to maintain a relatively pain free lower back. I do my stretch routine daily. Some of these stretches also help me open up my hips. Many yoga stretches work on this and here is a link to a few of them.

https://www.prevention.com/fitness/g204 ... your-hips/

I do numbers 5, 6, 8 and 13 every day. I don't do the rest but I can't imagine they would hurt you if done properly. Also, Harald's dryland video is excellent for suggestions to maintain flexibility while not on snow.
tigernbr

Postby jbotti » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:07 am

I did 2,3,5,6 religiously for 20 minutes day for 3 months and my hips opened up big time. Then in maintenance mode you need to hit them a little after every ski day. You can stay in the frog pose for a good amount of time. It uses your body weight to open up the hips where they are locked. It will likely hurt but you should work this hard.
jbotti

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:30 am

5 was/is a game changer for me (for skiing and cycling).
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby dewdman42 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:09 am

Thank you very much for the webpage with hip related stretches... badly needed here!
dewdman42

Postby noobSkier » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:44 pm

Update on my progress. It seems like I can hold my CA for longer. Feeling more stable at the end of the arc, and the skis are stopping more across the fall line versus traveling uphill somewhat (more so skiers-right turns). At times I can link the TFR without having to stop and recalibrate. Is there anything egregious going on here?

Max_501, I know you said work on CA drills...i'll get some clips of tuck turns and angry mother this week.

noobSkier

Postby jbotti » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:34 pm

Probably best for everyone posting in this section to read this post from Heluva today.

I'll emphasize a couple of points. First I have yet to see anyone's SMIM change in a couple of days of work. If that SMIM happens to be CA, I don't recall anyone with this SMIM nailing it anywhere close to the degree necessary for a BPSRT that hold ups in more difficult off piste terrain in anything less that a full season of work (let's remember that it took me 2 full seasons and Max who learns faster than I do the same). Second, it is really a waste of time to post here and ask for help when you haven't read the books and haven't done the progressions laid in the books. Lastly, if you are trying to ski beyond an intermediate PMTS level and haven't had your set-up dialed in by someone at HSS or who has been trained by HSS you are likely practicing movements that are incorrect and are the result of compensation (of course a very few have close to perfect alignment but many of those are in boots that don't fit and are not right). This is true for everyone no matter what level but as one progresses to higher levels the set up issues will be extremely limiting.

Great post by Heluva:

viewtopic.php?f=1&p=54505#p54505
jbotti

Postby dewdman42 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:54 pm

Greg's post is a great one and to the point!

@NoobSkier... I would recommend you buy the eVideos from harbskisystems about offseason exercises and strength training...some of them are directly applicable to strength with abbductors and other stuff that is need to create counteraction. Flexibility, per the webpage that was quoted earlier is definitely a factor too, but so is strengthening certain muscles needed for counteraction which actually are not ones that we use in our every day life that much..it requires some focused training to train them. I defer to others to name the muscles specifically, but the eVideos at harbsystems are going to target them!

I think its good that you are really focusing and trying to develop counteraction, but as others have noted, you have extremely limited counteraction showing in your videos. IMHO, developing counteraction is partly developing the muscle memory to engage the right muscles to do it while you're skiing...since you probably haven't up until now done that much. Similar to developing a habit of flexing instead of extending, it takes a lot of practice to groove in the neurological triggers to make counteraction happen systematically in your ski turns. It will take a while.

But on top of that, there can be hip mobility issues and strength issues as mentioned above. In watching your videos where you are earnestly attempting to counteract; and your still photos at home, its pretty obvious that you are either constricted in the hip joint or weak in the necessary muscles, or both.

In some cases, some people do have hip mobility issues that are hard to work around. For example, this summer I was diagnosed with femur impingement in that area, which in some cases can block in the bones my ability to counteract on my right side. I am still working through how to shift my hip around and relax in the right way to get around the blockage. But the other thing is that if you have some hip mobility issues of some kind that has been blocking you, then you may have, over many years, developed shortened muscles, which then make it even harder to get that mobility due to inflexibility AND lack of strength.

I recommend strongly you get the off season videos and spend all year working on both flexibility and strengthening related to counteraction. While you're at it, get the angry mother vids. There might be a couple others related to counteraction, I can't remember now.

I think people are posting the comments about SMIM won't be fixed overnight, because basically, it usually won't...especially if you've been skiing another way for a long time. You have to overcome all three factors...the muscle memory reprogramming in terms of making sure to even TRY to make counteracting movements while skiing....plus possibly in your case...some long built up constrictions and weaknesses in related areas.

Keep up at it though...even if you can't get to the point that you can move your hip like Heluvva or DoubleDiamond....you can definitely improve it!
dewdman42

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video