Lightweight touring ski

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Lightweight touring ski

Postby earlyriser » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:47 am

I'm looking for a lightweight touring ski to fight lightweight pin bindings on. Current quiver is very PMTS (Head iSL and an older pair of Movement Jams) but both are heavy even if I did want to replace the bindings.

I'm looking at maybe Blizzard Zero G 85 which are very light(1 kilo each) and "get good reviews", but would much rather take advice from the PMTS world. 85 mm underfoot like the Jams would be ideal.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
Sean
earlyriser

Re: Lightweight touring ski

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:17 am

Diana does some touring... not sure what she is using but a quick call to the shop might get you an answer.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby ErikCO » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:19 am

Give Diana a call or an email. Last year, at her suggestion, I got the Dynastar Mythic 97 184cm for touring. It is a nice light ski. It is good in powder and not bad in crud but I can't say that I particularly like it on harder snow. The amount of commitment needed to tip it well on hardpack requires a lot of energy and concentration for me. And don't even think of bumps on it! You want to make sure you are solid on PMTS fundamentals or you will find yourself doing some movements that would not have Harold and Diana smiling. :). I know Dynastar makes that ski in an 87mm waist, which would almost certainly help with harder snow performance, but I haven't skied it and so wouldn't want to recommend it since it might be a totally different ski just carrying the same name.
ErikCO

Postby earlyriser » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:49 pm

Thanks guys. I’ll ping Diana
earlyriser

Return to Gear