Blossom White Out, The Multi-Trick Pony

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Re: Blossom White Out, The Multi-Trick Pony

Postby noobSkier » Mon May 07, 2018 1:10 pm

jbotti wrote:Harald skis it. Stiff slalom carver. Not an all mountain ski. Geoff would probably love it.

How does the stiffness compare to the iSL (non-RD)?
noobSkier

Postby jbotti » Mon May 07, 2018 2:17 pm

I have only skied the ISL non RD and not the SZ 16 but based on what I have been told by Diana the SZ 16 is a much stiffer ski. The ISL non RD is not very stiff and maybe only modestly stiffer than the Head SS Kers (the later version that had some more pop than the original). In fact the ISL non RD skis very similar (if its stiffer its only marginally) to the SS Kers without the hooky tail (that does not like to release in arcs). From what I have been told the SZ 16 is really a dedicated on piste hard snow ski and for that I hear it is great.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby geoffda » Tue May 08, 2018 12:18 pm

Max_501 wrote:
geoffda wrote:It is a very damp ski, and while it doesn't feel particularly lively, it is far from dead. Rebound is solid, rather than springy.

This is an interesting difference because the 2 pair that I have been on feel very lively with lots of rebound (like a SL ski).

Could be my perception has been warped by too much time on race skis :D . I've only been on slalom skis this season--mostly FIS, but I was on my consumer iSLs the day I skied the White Outs.
geoffda

Postby geoffda » Tue May 08, 2018 12:22 pm

jbotti wrote:Harald skis it. Stiff slalom carver. Not an all mountain ski. Geoff would probably love it.

Heh, sounds like an all mountain ski to me :lol: . I've been wanting to try it--it looks like a super fun ski.
geoffda

Postby GHagen » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:59 pm

I have been a big fan of the Blossom White Out, it has been the best one quiver ski I have ever been on. I ski the 170. I have roughly 110 days on the ski. This year I skied it for the first 7 days and I was skiing OK--not great for me, but I thought it was just early season. As the snow at Loveland got harder before
the recent dump, I went back to my Head i.sl not RD 165cm skis and had a fantastic day..I could not figure it out, and repeated the magic the next day on the i.sls. To go even further on the slalom experiment, I pulled out an old pair of Head SLRD 165 cm (2004-2005) that never had much use and I always disliked them. I had another great day, even better than the i.sl not RD . I did one more SLRD day with great results and the snow started to soften in the afternoon. Thinking I had my groove back, I got on the White Outs expecting a familiar feel and good results on the softer snow, I was quite surprised. In a word the White Outs felt flimsy, awful. What was going on? After a couple of runs, I said enough---I have been betrayed by my favorite skis. Back on the SLRDs, I was golden again even on the softer snow.

Last Friday was a true powder day and I only brought the White Outs and hated them. Even on the softer snow my skiing was not good.

In the Summer, I had purchased another identical pair of the Blossoms as a hedge against their changing the ski or dis-continuing them. Upon a side by side comparison I discovered the old skis had lost 75-80% of their camber. The edges were great, the bases were fine, the bindings and top sheet Ok. But the skis were essentially flat to flat---camber gone.

Even though I have always been one to say that it is more the skier not the ski, I am convinced that these skis are toast and have been for a while. I have been waisting my time skiing skis beyond their prime. It will be interesting to get on the new pair next week. I hope I like them as much as when the other pair was new.
GHagen

Postby jbotti » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:49 pm

Yes, skis have a limited number of days in them. IMO past 100 days there is very little left and yes they lose their camber, pop and edge hold. That's just not very much fun. I'm sure your new White Outs will be very different than the 110 day old ones. Enjoy!
jbotti

Postby lukezhang » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:18 pm

This is an interesting thread about ski stiffness and pop. Race skis are felt stiffer. Does stiffness come more from torsion rather than longitudinally? A person doesn't have to do much to bend a racing ski longitudinally. Just stand up on the skis and you will see tip to tail along with under foot part is touching the snow. There is not much difference during the turn. So I guess most pop during the turn comes from torsion stiffness. What is your thinking?
lukezhang

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:24 pm

lukezhang wrote:What is your thinking?

i think you're overthinking it. Race skis are stiffer in both directions.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:31 pm

jbotti wrote:I'm sure your new White Outs will be very different than the 110 day old ones.

John is right. I have two pairs of 176 White Outs... One is basically brand new and the other has close to 100 days on it (had them since 2012). In a few runs of skiing on the older pair I can make them completely reverse camber (>1cm tip and tail). They are no longer damp on ice and don't have the snap they used to. They do make a lovely rock ski. The new pair rips as you'd expect... I also have a brand new 182cm version and that ski is powerful--not for the faint of heart--not a racer, don't bother.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby lukezhang » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:19 am

Do you guys notice that supershape ispeed and isl (not Rd) are not listed as wood core on Head website. All RD versions are listed as wood core.
lukezhang

Postby Ken » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:07 pm

How does the Stöckli Laser AX compare to the White Out?

I really like my AX. They've been great on everything from hard pack to 8" of wet fresh snow. They just make everything better more easily. I'd like a more rebound on release when skiing groomers, but maybe that would screw up their action in other snow conditions.

I didn't like the factory tune. It was a rather coarse structure. Tommy at Vail's Ski Valet & Big Mountain Tuning did a great job of a tune that made great skis better.
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby jbotti » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:43 pm

Ken wrote:How does the Stöckli Laser AX compare to the White Out?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5064
jbotti

Postby Vailsteve » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:57 pm

Ken

I am a huge Stiokli fan with 4 of them in my quiver— the SC, the SL, the CX and an unusual Y77. I also ski the Hart Pukse, which is slimilar to the Blossom White Out and the exact same ski as the Blossom Sonora. The Hart has become my favorite all mountain ski here at Vail.

A couple of years ago I skied the AX for two days so my impressions are dated and may nor be accurate any more. To me it was a disappointment. The AX did not nearly have the “ feet glued to the snow” feeling as the CX and the SC at speed. It would tip and carve, but just kind of felt dead—not a lot of pop and rebound. At 78 or 79mm underfoot ( forgot which one it is), it is a little wide for a PMTS ski. I am pretty sure the AX is a “no metal” ski, which could explain the “ mushier” feeling.

The Pulse, while also a no-metal ski, can be tipped very aggressively and the ski just whips around. In fact you have to tip agresssively and when you do the ski comes alive. I never could get the AX to pop. Admittedly, two years later, my PMTS tipping skills have improved, so there is a very good chance it was the skier (me) and not the ski.

Stockli makes great skis and if it works for you, then go rip and enjoy. And say hi to Tommy— he is the best tuner at Vail by far!
Last edited by Vailsteve on Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vailsteve

Postby GHagen » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:00 pm

so I had my new Blossom white outs today everything is back to normal except that I am a different skier
I was impatient with the Blossoms as the snow was groomalicous

the old Head SLRD took over did NIX Nox moguls skiing will keep us out of prison

Maybe
GHagen

Postby GHagen » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:37 am

I am tuned in now to the new Blossom White Outs. A very versatile ski.
GHagen

PreviousNext

Return to Gear