First 2 days of the new season

PMTS Forum

First 2 days of the new season

Postby alex_aku » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:52 am

Hi Guys

News season (in Europe) is around a corner and I am thinking what would be an optimal approach for the first 1-2 days of skiing after the long summer break? An obvious answer could be of course "repeat the drills", yet maybe you have a better approach?
What would you do on your first 2 days of skiing to "get back into it"?

Best
Alex
alex_aku

Re: First 2 days of the new season

Postby Max_501 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:56 am

I like to take a slow run on a beginner or intermediate trail to warm up with a focus on tipping, one footed LTE balance, and inside foot management. After that I spend a couple of hours drilling each of the essentials. Then I take a 2nd slow run to compare to the first. More often than not I'll notice a substantial improvement in lateral and fore/aft balance. After that more drilling. I have a tendency to be weak with CA/CB at the beginning of the season so I'll hit those hard individually and wrap up with a bunch of very slow one and two footed releases. Ideally I'd have someone take video to identify any other essentials that are obviously weak after the summer break.
Max_501

Postby alex_aku » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:03 pm

Max_501 wrote: I have a tendency to be weak with CA/CB at the beginning of the season so I'll hit those hard individually .

Which drills would you do for CA /CB?
alex_aku

Postby Max_501 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:42 am

Max_501

Postby tigernbr » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:48 am

I am a newbie to PMTS so the first two days on snow for me will be drills, drills and more drills. I'm attending the blue/dark blue camp in December but I will arrive in Colorado early enough to get in 2 full days of skiing before camp begins. With the help of the publication map (found herehttps://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0895/3800/files/HarbPublicationsMap2018.html?11774062757972579922), I've watched all the episodes on the left side of the map repeatedly and have made note cards of all the key points of those videos. These videos focus on building the basics which is what I need. If time permits before camp starts, I will do some of the drills from the videos in the second column from which I also made note cards.
tigernbr

Postby skijim13 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:12 am

Please get video of yourself and post them on this forum. When I was new to PMTS I watched all the videos and read all the books but learned at the camps that I was not doing the movements correctly as shown in the videos. If the movements are not done exactly as shown in the video you will limit your progress. For example to learn tipping as shown in the videos takes a great deal of time to get it right. If you are located in the Northeast you are welcome to ski with my wife and I.

Jim
skijim13

Postby tigernbr » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:41 am

I appreciate the offer to ski with you and your wife Jim but I am in Louisiana. I lived in PA in Montgomery County nearly 20 years ago (yikes!) and skied Blue Mountain often. Unless I can hook up with another blue/dark blue camper Saturday and Sunday before camp, I won't be able to video myself the first two days I am practicing. I will be recorded by HSS personnel throughout the camp though and go over the video with them after each day of the camp. I attended the green/blue camp last season so I have a little better understanding now of what to expect. Still, I agree with you. It is always better to have video of yourself while practicing because often, what you think you are doing and what you are actually doing are two very different things.
tigernbr

Postby Ken » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:20 pm

I like to take a slow run on a beginner or intermediate trail

Pick a run that is so easy that you can get everything right. A run so easy that you only need to concentrate on your movements and avoiding traffic. A run where you can easily make perfect sharp tracks in the snow. That's a great way to look back and note your success.

Go through your progressions. Do one movement perfectly on that easy run. Add another movement to it. When both are going right, add a third movement, etc. Some movements you know need to be done simultaneously. Others need to be done sequentially. Add another movement only when the preceding ones were done correctly. Don't allow yourself to do anything sloppy. Wake up those muscles that know what to do but haven't done the movements in months.
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby skijim13 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:57 am

Ken, my best way of ensuring my movements are correct is with video of my skiing. With a video clip you can also post it to this forum for further feedback.
skijim13

Postby ErikCO » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:06 pm

I'm interested in what drills people would suggest in the early season here in Colorado when there are a few to many people on the handful of open trails. A lot of the drills I would like to do require too much open space for the early season crowding. I have been doing some tipping practice while standing still on the edge of the run or on the flats at the top/bottom of the lifts, a few CA/CB drills, and a little bit of free foot management.
ErikCO

Postby geoffda » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:54 pm

ErikCO wrote:I'm interested in what drills people would suggest in the early season here in Colorado when there are a few to many people on the handful of open trails. A lot of the drills I would like to do require too much open space for the early season crowding. I have been doing some tipping practice while standing still on the edge of the run or on the flats at the top/bottom of the lifts, a few CA/CB drills, and a little bit of free foot management.

Early season conditions are generally pretty limiting with respect to drills. Anything you do on the slope needs to be done in the fall line, in a short turn, and at a brisk pace. Additionally, any drill would need to be something that you are so comfortable with that it takes almost no focus--because you need to be focused on collision avoidance. Lots of the ski pole related drills may fit this bill--double pole drag, push the inside hand, etc. Realistically though, skiing with focus is probably your best bet. Practice the movement you will be focused on while you are standing stationary before you start, and know what external cues that you will be paying attention to when you are skiing so that you can evaluate whether you are successful in making the movement that you will be focusing on. When you stop, "take inventory." Pay attention to things like where your pole baskets are, where your zipper is facing, etc.
geoffda

Postby jbotti » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:53 am

I spent most of last season with huge focus on where my hands arms were at all times (was trying to kill a bad tendency to let them drop or even worse at times get behind me). While I do not have the crowded slope issue I really think that one can do this on a crowded slope. I cannot overstate the massive impact this has had on my skiing (keeping my hands and arms in the right position in every turn at all times). Working the NSPP takes a lot of time and effort to have it become the default movement in ones skiing. Great place to start the season working on nailing this.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System