Head 2018-19

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Head 2018-19

Postby jbotti » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:26 pm

The 2019 Head ski website is now up. In addition to the V series which Harald skied and liked Head also has a softer Monster 88 and a softer Monster 83 with a tighter turn radius. ISL non RD and the SS i.Speed return basically unchanged.

https://www.head.com/us-US/sports/ski/

In Boots, the B2 is gone replaced by the R2 and R3 but they kept the B3, B5 and added a B4. The R2 looks very much like the B2. Unclear what changes were made.

https://www.head.com/shop-us/us-US/ski/boots/race.html/
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Re: Head 2018-19

Postby JBurke » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:58 pm

jbotti,
I don’t see any difference between the B3 and R3 specs. Do you know any reason a PMTS skier would choose the R3 over the B3?
Also I heard the 2019 I-speed was supposed to be less stiff than last year’s model? Any insight on that?
Thanks,
JB
JBurke

Postby Erik » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:10 pm

I looked at the B3 and R3 in the Head Race Catalog https://media.head.com/_11__/catalogues/203-5a68413a95e64/HEAD_Racing_2018-19_EN.pdf, The only advertised difference I can see is the Booster Strap, and those can be changed out.
Erik

Postby jbotti » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:25 pm

I don’t know enough about either to answer your question JB.

I will say that if the B3 fits and works well there is no reason to go to a different shell while they still make it. Those that are skiing the B2 will have no choice when it’s time for new boots. But I am guessing that the changes in the R2 are not that significant from the B2 . But I don’t know enough yet. Diana and Walker will start getting R2s and R3s in about a month. I will get the full run down from them when they arrive.
jbotti

Postby ToddW » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:31 pm

When I was in the shop last March, I was told that the R series would differ by about a half a size in length from the B series and that Head had based the new mold upon a different WC skier's foot shape. Don't assume the same length will fit you in the two. If possible, compare the fit of the two in a shop before buying.
ToddW

Postby jbotti » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:26 pm

That is consistent with what I was told as well. In a few months HSS will have fit several people in them and we I’ll have some more detailed info.

Wonder if it is Pinterault. It has to someone big for them to build a new last.
jbotti

Postby ErikCO » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:09 pm

(First post for me, I know, but I have been a long time lurker. Hope I haven't missed comments on this somewhere.)

I'd be interested in knowing both what people think of, and the differences in between, the various skis Head lists under its race skis. Obviously their "RD" models are FIS compliant race skies (though the reason for having an iGS RD Team, iGS RD, iGS RD Pro, and iGS RD Pro Evo escapes me) but then they have a dizzying number of other models: iSL, iSLR, iSpeed, iSpeed Pro, iRace, iRace Pro, iGSR, iShape Pro. Many of their dimensions are very similar (basically a couple in the 11m range, a couple in the 14m range, and a couple in the 18m range) and the 14m versions are very close, dimensionally, to the Supershape iSpeed. Just wondering if anyone is able to shed some light on the differences since I never really hear folks talk about any other than the iSL.

For reference, I have a 15-16 iSL (in 165), 16-17 Supershape iSpeed (in 170), and a Rev80 (in 170) and, at the moment, am trying to convince myself that I don't need any more skis. Some part of me keeps feeling like a new ski will magically improve my skiing though my rational mind reminds me that I just need to practice/drill and video myself. :)
ErikCO

Postby jbotti » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:19 pm

Assuming one has the right skis to learn and progress on (and you do) there is only a fun factor to getting new skis. New skis have the most pop and those first 10-20 days are the best they will ever feel. But it is not going to make you a better skier. The only thing that will do that is doing the drills religiously!

As for your question on all the Head race line skis, I have only skied the ISL, the ISL RD, the old I.Race and the i.Speed. The i.Speed is a great cheater GS ski and the 180 that I ski has an 18m TR. Really fun ski. Kind of the last thing any advancing PMTS student needs. I used it for racing at my home mountain on courses that were generally very tight GS courses (lots of just wider than slalom turns). The i.Race isn't that different from the SS iSpeed. Not sure why they brought it back. Can't speak to any others in the lineup other than to say a couple are softer versions (like the ISLR).
jbotti

Postby Max_501 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:26 am

I agree 100% with jbotti. FWIW, he and I have been down this path too. Hunting for the perfect ski didn't do anything for my technique but it did fill by garage with a bunch of skis I never use.

Your quiver looks good to me. There is overlap between the iSL and iSpeed but since you have both in different lengths I'd suggest using the iSL for drills and working on the BPST. Bring out the iSpeed when you need a break from very tight turns. The extra length of the iSpeed may also help when skiing off piste although the Rev 80 is the tool I'd grab for anything over 6".

Here's what my quiver looks like:

For groomers, firm bumps, an drills - 170cm Elan SLX (I'd probably be just as happy with an iSL or iSpeed)
For a 50% off piste/groomer ski when the off piste snow depth is 6" or less - Blossom White Out
For off piste when the snow depth is greater than 6" - Head Rock n Roll or Head Monster 88.
For pow skiing when the snow is 24" deep - Elan 1010 (maybe once per season).

For the lighter snow found in the rockies I wouldn't need the Elan 1010 but in the PNW our deep snow is usually heavy so the extra float helps a lot.

I still have a couple of shorter (160cm - 165cm ) skis that I used for drills and developing a solid BPST but I don't use them these days because they are so turny/snappy that I cook my legs in 4 to 8 runs. I keep them around to loan to friends that are visiting and want to work on PMTS because they usually bring skis that are too wide for learning.
Max_501

Postby ErikCO » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:22 pm

Thanks for the replies. Trust me, I am very aware that a new ski won't actually make me a better skier. My iSLs are by far my favorite ski, unless I am going to be spending the day skiing a 2800 ft lift (like at Copper mountain). Then I end up tired from too many turns. And the difference between the iSL and the Rev 80 in 6-8 inches of powder is crazy (finally got my first chance to ski in that amount of powder this past winter, after finally moving to Colorado from the southeast). And I've basically put bump runs on hold until I have a better BPST. Last year I took my first camp and I realized how much I need to work on.

I was actually most interested in what the differences between all the various skies in Head's lineup were. And this question was spurred by skiing the iSL vs the iSpeed. It's a little hard to put into words, but the iSL ends up feeling like it has better edge hold and is a lot harder to start putting rotational input into vs the iSpeed (and yes, I have the two both tuned to a 0.7 degree base and 3 degree side angle). So I was wondering if that was related to ski construction and if, down the road, I might be more interested in something like the iRace, or if I'm just imagining things. I'm not going to let myself get another set of skis this season, unless Diana or Harold tells me to of course :). If one of them says I need to get a different ski, or boot, or pole, I'll put it on the list of first use of my next paycheck.
ErikCO

Postby jbotti » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:13 pm

I got some info back from Diana this morning on the Head R series boots. They are indeed about a half size longer in each size but the difference is greater in the larger sizes (27 and 28) vesrsus the shorter ones. It also has more instep room. This is probably good news for a lot of feet/people. For those that ski a 130 flex plug it’s really great because Head now has a boot pretty much for every foot in that flex with the B3 continuing and the new R3. Diana and HH will be skiing the R2 this year and because they were both crammed into B2s that were too small that took tons of work they are finding the R2 to be a pleasant surprise. The boot still has 16 degrees of forward lean. Not sure if the BSL has remained the same or gone up.

It is bad news for me but I have a new pair of B2s which should last 5+ years. Hell maybe I can get 10 years out of them like Max in his Dobie’s. Surely by then another boot will exist that is perfect for me.

The other word I got is that A-Basin and Loveland will likely open this coming week. It’s here!!
jbotti

Postby jbotti » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:12 pm

I re-read the email I got from Diana. Just to clarify, its the instep room that increases as you get to the larger sizes (more noticeable in the 27 and 28 that in the 24 and 25).
jbotti

Postby Chy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:51 pm

Lots of talk about boots - but how about the new skis? Specifically, the V-Shape line.

How's the V2 and V4 looking for relatively new pmts up to intermediate pmts skiers? They seem attractive as they are a lot less $ than i.speed skis. Looks like the V2 is 70 waist and V4 is 73. Is the V2 the new ideal learning pmts ski? How high of a pmts skill level could the V2/V4 work for? I'm assuming the V6 and V10 are excluded from pmts learning. How about V8 with 75 waist? Any significant differences between these skis except for the waist?
Chy

Postby jbotti » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:31 am

The Head V Series are softer than Head's traditional skis. I have not skied them but my guess would be that you are better off with the V-6 or even V-8 than the V-2 and V-4 which are quite likely super soft. Having said that for those starting out with PMTS thinner under foot is better (much easier to tip) therefore skis that are 70mm and less under foot are what are best. Just not sure how long the V-2 will last you once you start to progress because a ski that is way too soft will impede your progress as you start to ski at faster speeds and on steeper pitches.
jbotti

Return to Gear