MA for Carvers

MA for Carvers

Postby SkiMoose » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:05 pm

Hey everyone, This is my first post on here, and I'm just looking for any advice on my technique with the carvers.

First a little about me. I am 16 years old, have been skiing for basically my whole life, but last season was my first season practicing PMTS, I ended up skiing 70+ days (A new record!), and I spent quite a few of those days working through the ACBES 1+2 books. Unfortunately, as it tends to do, summer came, and so I was forced to continue my PMTS adventure on asphalt. I built the DIY model, and now have spent about 10-15 days on them and they seem to be working fairly well, although I wonder how they compare to the other models that used to be sold. Any advice you have is greatly appreciated!

Here are a few videos of me on a fairly steep pitch, one with poles, one without.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GljSv_6P4Ew
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHVcVV6J0dQ

And yes I've seen every video that I could find anywhere on the internet of Harb Carvers :)
SkiMoose

Re: MA for Carvers

Postby noobSkier » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:53 pm

Very nice. Your tipping is very good. The force is strong with this one! I may post a carver video this week, you have inspired me!
noobSkier

Postby SkiMoose » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:29 pm

Thanks for the feedback noobSkier. After looking at my video a while, I wonder if and how it would be possible to get more similar angles to those in skiing. My turns look like I am using a lot of "knee angulation" (femur rotation), rather than using purely CB to balance over the outside "ski" :D This does seen tough, as carvers don't seen to respond to being on edge in quite the same way as a ski. Maybe a smaller front wheel or shorter wheelbase would help? I'd also like to try some quicker short turns using cones or something similar to how I've seen SkierSynergy do them.

All tips and comments are welcome!
SkiMoose

Postby noobSkier » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:31 pm

SkiMoose wrote:Thanks for the feedback noobSkier. After looking at my video a while, I wonder if and how it would be possible to get more similar angles to those in skiing. My turns look like I am using a lot of "knee angulation" (femur rotation), rather than using purely CB to balance over the outside "ski" :D This does seen tough, as carvers don't seen to respond to being on edge in quite the same way as a ski. Maybe a smaller front wheel or shorter wheelbase would help? I'd also like to try some quicker short turns using cones or something similar to how I've seen SkierSynergy do them.

All tips and comments are welcome!

Knee angulation is not a term thats used in PMTS, so you have to be more specific. As its understood in PMTS, femur rotation is a secondary result of tipping...and theres nothing wrong with that. In my experience, short turns on carvers require a high level of fore-aft control. You need to be able to pressure the front wheel.
noobSkier

Postby SkiMoose » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:24 pm

Ok got it. In shorter turns I understand that femur rotation is a totally fine consequence of tipping. I was mainly referring to longer turns, but as the speeds and forces on carvers will never be as high as skiing, maybe a turn with little to no femur rotation will never occur on carvers, so I'll leave that alone. Since the videos I posted I think I've been able to control my speed better in the high-c portion of the turn during longer turns by more actively pulling back my inside foot and allowing it to retract naturally. To my amateur eye these turns look better to me.

Last edited by SkiMoose on Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SkiMoose

Postby noobSkier » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:52 pm

If you look closely at your shoulders, they turn into the direction of the turn. You need to eliminate that rotation. I think more CA is the answer here.

also, Im pretty sure that femoral rotation resulting from tipping will occur regardless of turn shape, its just less apparent with high levels of vertical ski separation (relative to the skier).
noobSkier

Postby SkiMoose » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:19 pm

After watching some videos of high level skiers I think you are right that a more extended outside leg and higher levels of performance will make femur rotation less aparant, because in all turns, especially the lower half, femur rotation is always present. I will work on more CA Thanks for the analysis!
SkiMoose

Postby Max_501 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:01 pm

SkiMoose wrote:Hey everyone, This is my first post on here, and I'm just looking for any advice on my technique with the carvers.

Have you had your alignment checked?
Max_501

Postby SkiMoose » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:59 pm

The Lange boots I'm currently using on the carvers are my old boots I used before I started PMTS. I had them adjusted at HSS last winter, and they did a very basic cuff alignment but not anything else. I got a pair of Head Raptor B3s at HSS shortly after that, and I got the full alignment done on those. I've just been a little worried about using the Head boots for the carvers as I've gone down a couple times and messed up some of the buckles and scuffed them up quite a bit.
SkiMoose

Postby h.harb » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:17 am

Nicely done video of Harb Carvers on Guenella Pass. Excellent Carver use and nice skiing using the Essentials. Just be careful that your upper body doesn't lean too far forward.
h.harb

Postby SkiMoose » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:52 pm

Thanks Harald, I am working on getting my feet pulled back in transition and my upper body relaxed, which I think is helping me not to fold over at the waist too much. I will continue working on the essentials using the carvers, and hopefully it will translate to snow!
SkiMoose

Return to Movement Analysis and Video