Snowboarding PMTS style?

Friends get together

Snowboarding PMTS style?

Postby noobSkier » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:43 pm

I came across this snowboarding video and I think it illustrates PMTS principles. This snowboarder is "tipping" his board from edge-to-edge with absolutely no steering or twisting. He's getting upside-down edge angles in the high-c, and you can even sometimes see a dolphin-like turn as he forces the tip down into the snow. Fascinating.

noobSkier

Re: Snowboarding PMTS style?

Postby blackthorn » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:34 pm

I regard PMTS as representing a set of fundamental principles that with understanding can be applied usefully to sports other than skiing.
Older threads have referenced for instance water skiing.
blackthorn

Postby Max_501 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:02 am

That rider is amazing. Even though there are things he does that we could say are like some of the Essentials (CA and CB for example) they are only on one side and look to be an outcome of having the feet locked into the board in that orientation.
Max_501

Postby noobSkier » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:14 pm

Max_501 wrote:That rider is amazing. Even though there are things he does that we could say are like some of the Essentials (CA and CB for example) they are only on one side and look to be an outcome of having the feet locked into the board in that orientation.

I was more interested with the physics of his turns which from what I can tell closely resembles the physics of a PMTS turn. Skis are designed to turn when put on edge, but how to actually do that without introducing sub-optimal movements is not obvious nor intuitive so we need PMTS. I think this snowboarder is operating with the same core understanding that the optimal way to make a parabolic (ski or snowboard) perform is to put it on edge. Since the medium is different, the snowboarder uses different movements to achieve the PMTS result: pure edge-to-edge tipping of the parabolic while compensating for the directional change.

I find the video instructive because ultimately any argument against PMTS is really an argument against the fundamental reality that skis are designed to turn when put on edge. The fact that this core principle carries over to other parabolic snow sports should be the final nail in the coffin of any non-pmts theories about skiing.
noobSkier

Return to Social Chatting